• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay Equivalents in East Asian Countries

shugon

Reaction score
Hello,

I regard eBay as one of the premier sources for those discontinued, hard-to-get items. It seems that many of the products I covet the most are more widespread in east Asian countries than in the USA: first and foremost, Japan; but also Taiwan and Singapore. From what I have been seeing around, I'm in the belief that eBay is not as popular there as in the US and Europe, and is probably not the most popular online marketplace, thus being less relevant in this case.

Question is: what are the eBay equivalents (that is, the most popular online marketplace) in the following countries:

1. Japan
  2. South Korea
  3. Taiwan
  4. (mainland) China
  5. Singapore

I would appreciate recommendations for additional online marketplaces beyond the most popular one in each of those countries (see GRAILED here in the U.S. - while not the most popular marketplace - eBay is more popular I believe - it is definitely worth mentioning).

Thanks!

Last edited:

wakazuki

Reaction score
Yahoo Auctions JP is the heaven you're looking for.

shugon

Reaction score
On rakuten.co.jp, are used items offered in addition to new ones?

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rakuten is an amalgamation of smaller stores - they don't have their own inventory. Many of those stores sell used items

shugon

Reaction score
And if I search through the homepage of rakuten.co.jp, then the search encompasses all of the used (and new) inventory of all those stores?

wakazuki

Reaction score
Yes it will.
To add on Japanese stores : zozotown and zozoused.

shugon

Reaction score
1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but ZOZOTOWN is, compared to Rakuten, a conventional shop with its own inventory, and it sells new items only?

2) What about marketplaces for used items in Taiwan and Singapore?

Thanks.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but ZOZOTOWN is, compared to Rakuten, a conventional shop with its own inventory, and it sells new items only?

2) What about marketplaces for used items in Taiwan and Singapore?

Thanks.

No there's zozoused like he said, which sells used stuff. Also I believe there are a bunch of different stores on Zozo like American Rag, Ships, HP France, etc. No its not quite like Rakuten, but its not a conventional store either (maybe something like a Japanese farfetch? I dunno.)

I buy a lot from yahoo japan (via a proxy) and generally like it.

shugon

Reaction score
Since you're implying that zozotown sells used items too, how does zozotown differ from zozoused?

And folks, what about online used marketplaces for Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imply nothing, I simply state there is zozoused: http://zozo.jp/zozoused/. As far as I'm aware Zozotown only sells new clothing (and magazines and other ****). I'm not a expert on their company structure, I just ******* buy **** from there man.

wakazuki

Reaction score
Yes, exactly as he said.
Zozotown sells many new items from many many brands (like Farfetch but bigger I think) while Zozoused is their secondhand version with only used items. This is where you can get some gems.
But I'd say Y!auctions is the most interesting place.
Sorry no idea about other countries.

shugon

Reaction score
Hi Lorcan7, my apologies - when you mentioned the sub-shops ZOZO represents, somehow (probably because I was subconsciously recalling what nicelynice said) it made think it sells used items as well, through those sub-shops, that is...

And still really looking forward to hearing recommendations for used and new marketplaces from Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore...

shugon

Reaction score
Thanks porphyrio!

I just need a solid recommendation for a used items marketplace in South Korea and Taiwan and I'm all set...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics