• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Clothes & Cigarette Smoke

Man In Space

Reaction score
Can a sport coat that absolutely reeks of stale cigarette smoke really be advertised as "like new" condition?

Would you be happy if, as you began to cut the tape on the package that you received, a fist-shaped cloud of cigarette smoke stink flowed up out of the box and knocked the daylights out of you?

Absolutely disgusting.

Feel free to share your thoughts on this foul practice.

frown.gif

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, certainly the seller should be upfront about this if the garment is saturated with the smell of smoke. Many sellers make a point of noting something like: "from a smoke-free home," but if this is not stated, and the item is used, you should ask about this before plunking down the long green.

The term "like new" is widely and variously used and interpreted, and it's certainly conceivable that a seller might advertise a smoke-smelling garment this way (although whether they really should is another matter). "Like new" should be a signal to inquire in detail about the item's condition.

As for a garment saturated with smoke, although it is disgusting to encounter when unexpected--as you note--it can be cleansed of this smell pretty easily. Interestingly, probably the best procedure is the simplest: hang the garment outside, under cover, where it can be exposed to fresh air and occasional wind. Do this every day for a week. By that time, you probably won't be able to smell the cigarette smoke any more. If there's still some hint of the smell, just continue the drill until it's all gone. Believe me, it will go away and completely!
smile.gif

VooDooATL

Reaction score
As I smoke I will give the seller a break, if they are a heavy smoker then they don't even know it smells. I know I can't smell smoke very well, unless its as bad as you describe. Then again I am not that heavy of a smoker and don't smoke in my house or office. The dry cleaner can get out the smell no problem, as long as its not stained from the smoke or burned. I worked nights at a club years and years ago and it can really trash you stuff night in and night out. P.S. It could be wrose, I take a heavy smoker over someone who is heavy on the flatulent side of things
smile.gif

pkincy

Reaction score
That is where your Whirlpool Steamer/Freshener earns its money.

Perry

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can a sport coat that absolutely reeks of stale cigarette smoke really be advertised as "like new" condition?

Would you be happy if, as you began to cut the tape on the package that you received, a fist-shaped cloud of cigarette smoke stink flowed up out of the box and knocked the daylights out of you?

Absolutely disgusting.

Feel free to share your thoughts on this foul practice.
No and No. It should be noted in the auctions. I hate it when I get smoke ridden clothes from buyers. However, I have also discovered that even the worst smells will go away if allowed to air out for a while. Hang em in the garage, and use a fan to speed things up. Leather takes longer, I've had to let shoes sit for 6 months before.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If there were no damage or issues to the item(wear, rough spots, etc.), then I think it could be described as "like new", even with the smoke. The seller probably should have revealed that the item smelled of smoke, but you also could have asked!

I've noticed that many sellers include something like, "from a smoke free home", in their descriptions. Less sellers say something like"this item has been exposed to smoke"! I don't see many if any sellers, saying this items reeks of smoke!

While I agree the smoke odor is disgusting, it at least, can be addressed. As has been said, you can get rid of the smoke odor. Lot's of problems can't be addressed. What do you do about wrong measurements, or numerous moth holes!

If you like the item you bought and think you bought it at a good price, just air the coat out and chalk it up to experience. Ask about smoke prior to your future purchases.

I believe Pkincy contributed to this thread. He once said something that I put into use when on Ebay. When I shop on Ebay(and I do often), I figure that about half the time there will be a problem. And sometimes, I will basically be bilked. I've got to balance that against my chances of getting a real bargain. Ebay does not have(nor should it) the return policy of STP or Yoox, but sometimes you can really get a great deal.

Last week, I bought a Navy Color 100% Cashmere vintage overcoat. It fit me perfectly, and was of extraordinary quality. Cost me $11.00 and $10.00 shipping for a total of $21.00. I was very fortunate and I'm grateful.

It did not smell of smoke at all. If it did, I wouldn't have been happy, but I would have aired it out and after that, I would have enjoyed my bargain.

Short version of all I've said. If you like your purchase and the price, the smoke is just a bump in the road. If you did not, then the smoke only made it worse!

BTW: Minus the smoke were you happy with your purchase?

Newton

Reaction score
A quick spray of Brut fixes any odour problems!
laugh.gif

But seriously, on the internet there are some great tips for odor removal. Look especially for 'removing odour from cars' (or 'odor' if that's how they spell it in America).

A technique that I heard recently would be to put a bowl of warm, steaming water in a cupboard with the jacket. Don't take my word on it, though.

johnpemberton

Reaction score
Its disgusting to receive an item smelling of smoke. Leave feedback stating this, so that others are pre-warned. Try and charge the seller for cleaning as some sort of compensation.

John.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As A Harris wrote. It's no big deal, smoke will disapear very quickly if you allow the clothes to air (wool, of course. synthetics can keep the odour for much longer).

!luc

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No excuse for it, because the seller can always do the above mentioned things and save the customer the grief.

When you purchase an item, NWT should also mean "no stink".

There is a great seller of brooks brothers items , that does this all the time and limits what i will purchase from them.

They are absolutely perfect in every way but this and I have returned several items but they continue to do it after promises of not.

charlief1975

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
That is where your Whirlpool Steamer/Freshener earns its money.

Perry

Ditto. Picked one up from ebay for 100 around february...great for coats, jackets....I spray some febreeze before it goes into the steamer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads