• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay buyer issue

rathebaindc

Reaction score
I listed a used shirt on ebay that had some fraying. I listed it as used and in my two sentence description I said the shirt has fraying. Ask me if you have any questions. I also included a picture of the frayed edges. The buyer says he is upset because the fraying is worse than my description. I said "there is fraying". He also says the fraying is worse than my picture shows. My picture is as close up as I could put the camera and have it focus.

I'm not worried about ethical ramifications, but what will ebay say if this guy tries to get his money back? I know ebay sides with the buyer most of the time. If ebay will side with him, I'd rather not get the bad feedback. If they will side with me, I'd tell him sales are final.

Advice please.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rathebaindc
I listed a used shirt on ebay that had some fraying. I listed it as used and in my two sentence description I said the shirt has fraying. Ask me if you have any questions. I also included a picture of the frayed edges. The buyer says he is upset because the fraying is worse than my description. I said "there is fraying". He also says the fraying is worse than my picture shows. My picture is as close up as I could put the camera and have it focus. I'm not worried about ethical ramifications, but what will ebay say if this guy tries to get his money back? I know ebay sides with the buyer most of the time. If ebay will side with him, I'd rather not get the bad feedback. If they will side with me, I'd tell him sales are final. Advice please.
you're fucked, ebay will always side with the buyer.

6up

Reaction score
Tough call....lose-lose situation would be you get neg feedback, ebay sides with buyer AND you are out of a shirt.

Your best bet would be to make an exception to your FINAL SALE condition and get the buyer to send it back (at their expense). This however, doesnt gurantee the buyer still will not leave neg feedback.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
you're fucked, ebay will always side with the buyer.

x2.

Sorry, broheim.

joneog

Reaction score
Just let him return it. Save yourself the hassle of trying to fight with the buyer since you're going to lose anyway.

Its amazing how people buy a low-ticket item that claims to have wear, see pictures of it, and when they get it are pissed its "too much" wear. No shame.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
I have read similar scenarios regarding sellers. I have things to sell, but, once again I am tempted to hold a garage sale or go through a 3rd party seller on eBay. Who needs this nonsense...
ffffuuuu.gif

Wolfador

Reaction score
liquidate your paypal account, de-link your bank account from paypal.

open new accounts and start again.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
liquidate your paypal account, de-link your bank account from paypal.

open new accounts and start again.

They will use collections to make you pay (personal experience)

I presume the shirt was under $20. If so, tell him you will not refund shipping charges, and will not cover his return shipping to you. Tell him to insure it and add tracking, otherwise there is no guarantee you will receive it. I'm guessing he will think twice about it

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't win. Let him send it back, then burn it and instruct yourself not to try to sell something which can be questioned - even if you think that you have described it correctly. I am not even sure why a frayed second hand shirt could find a buyer in the first place so certainly a foolish offer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads