• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay bidding strategies. Have you ever....

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...bid up the price on an auction you didn't intend to win?

I ask because I recently spotted a pair of RL Camdens in my size from GVH. While waiting for the end of the auction to approach so I could try to snipe the shoes, a bid appeared from a relative newbie whom I recognized as having recently paid near full retail for subs. Given his history, I was relatively certain his bid was at least the level of the BIN price on the GVH website. Since I may be competing with him for shoes in future ebay auctions, I decided to help him drain his bank account by entering a series of incremental bids to a point just below the price on GVH's website. I did this several days before the auction's end so I would look to him like an ebay neophyte and give him time to bid again should I outbid him. Sure enough, he had already bid close to the GVH price and won the auction. In the unlikely event I had won the auction, I would of course have paid for my shoes. Now, I'm hoping a sweet pair of John Lobb shoes is listed tomorrow and I won't be bidding against him.

Does anyone else recognize ebay competitors and take a multi-auction approach to ebay bidding? Are there other strategies you find useful?

As a postscript, I should add that I received a "second chance offer", probably not because the auction winner didn't pay, but because I suspect that GVH has another pair of these in my size. I think I'll take my chances in open bidding, though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
once...I was watching a pair of shoes and some newbie zero feedback guy kept throwing in bids as soon as someone else upped the price, at one point I think he put in about 4-5 bids in one day driving the price very high....being a lurker/sniper, this fool was pissing me off so i put in a few bids to get the price a bit higher as it was getting to my own max with a few days left and sure enough he kept throwing in bids raising the price higher and higher...ultimately it sold for quite a bit more than I was prepared to pay and I'm sure the seller was watching the action screaming for joy through it all
laugh.gif

once, I bought a vintage 1950s rayon gab s/s shirt that I won with my snipe of $250...and just barely beat out a local rockabilly guy I know (who I've sold to before and bought from) as his max was $220 (and I'm sure the seller was happy since the aucton went from $150 to $250 in a matter of seconds)...a couple years later I had my fill of the shirt and put it back on ebay with a BIN of $250 and sho nuff who bought it from me...

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah and my story is essentially the same as Get Smart's.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

once, I bought a vintage 1950s rayon gab s/s shirt that I won with my snipe of $250...and just barely beat out a local rockabilly guy I know (who I've sold to before and bought from) as his max was $220 (and I'm sure the seller was happy since the auction went from $150 to $250 in a matter of seconds)...a couple years later I had my fill of the shirt and put it back on ebay with a BIN of $250 and sho nuff who bought it from me...

Maybe I'm in the wrong business. Did someone really pay $250, for a 1950's rayon gab shirt?

Well, I'm sure it's true, but I wouldn't recognize the good stuff. Some of our resident experts like pejsek and vintage_gent seem to have a great collection of these type of things. But they are experts at that sort of thing, and put in the time and effort! I really love their threads on Thrift Store Finds and great vintage items. Still, 4 shirts X $250 = $1000!! Not bad if you can find 4 of them a week, and do it part time!

As to your subject, I haven't done what you describe. But many times if there are no bids on an item, I'll make the first bid, even though I know that there's no chance it will be successful! As an example, if BlondysBay has a Canali, or Oxxford NWT suit (which they do occasionally), I'll always make a first bid if there are no bids. I doubt, that BlondysBay has shills(they're too big), and one day I might get a desirable suit for $.99!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once...I was watching a pair of shoes and some newbie zero feedback guy kept throwing in bids as soon as someone else upped the price, at one point I think he put in about 4-5 bids in one day driving the price very high....being a lurker/sniper, this fool was pissing me off so i put in a few bids to get the price a bit higher as it was getting to my own max with a few days left and sure enough he kept throwing in bids raising the price higher and higher...ultimately it sold for quite a bit more than I was prepared to pay and I'm sure the seller was watching the action screaming for joy through it all
laugh.gif

once, I bought a vintage 1950s rayon gab s/s shirt that I won with my snipe of $250...and just barely beat out a local rockabilly guy I know (who I've sold to before and bought from) as his max was $220 (and I'm sure the seller was happy since the aucton went from $150 to $250 in a matter of seconds)...a couple years later I had my fill of the shirt and put it back on ebay with a BIN of $250 and sho nuff who bought it from me...

Nothing beats buying something on ebay, wearing it for a while, and then selling it for your money back or a profit. A while ago I bought a Zegna suit on ebay for $200 and it was pretty damn sweet. Well, anyway, I outgrew it and sold it again on ebay for $400. So I got a few months of wear out of the suit and $200 in my pocket.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I've never done this but I've seen it done when I was heavy into the watch auctions on ebay and I've also seen it done on auctions that I have been running. It pisses me off.

Hello Ed, I'm one of those that thinks you are a wonderful seller!

One question though. If two bidders are bidding up one of your own Ebay auctions, and it drives the final price up (as described in the beginning of this thread), and they are real bidders that will pay if they win. Then why would that piss you off?
confused.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Maybe I'm in the wrong business. Did someone really pay $250, for a 1950's rayon gab shirt?
A standard rayon gab shirt will fetch $10-20 but the *right* ones can get a lot of $$$ and will sell for many hundreds...but you have to know how to recognize it (which i do) and often the right buyers are scouring ebay for such items. But the stuff David (VGent) is into and that I am into is geared towards a different audience even tho we probably both buy from the same eras. and I wish I had 4 of these shirts but realistically you will never see another 3 of these in your lifetime

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A standard rayon gab shirt will fetch $10-20 but the *right* ones can get a lot of $$$ and will sell for many hundreds...but you have to know how to recognize it (which i do) and often the right buyers are scouring ebay for such items. But the stuff David (VGent) is into and that I am into is geared towards a different audience even tho we probably both buy from the same eras. and I wish I had 4 of these shirts but realistically you will never see another 3 of these in your lifetime
Um, what's a rayon gab shirt?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Hello Ed, I'm one of those that thinks you are a wonderful seller!

One question though. If two bidders are bidding up one of your own Ebay auctions, and it drives the final price up (as described in the beginning of this thread), and they are real bidders that will pay if they win. Then why would that piss you off?
confused.gif

If you get paid, it's wonderful. I had an auction where a Versace pocket square was driven up to over $50. The high bidder was a prankster. Never got paid. I went to the second bidder and his attitude was basically, "you used a shill bidder to drive the price up so no thanks". Obviously, that guy will not bid on my auctions if he thinks I use shills. When you sell the same stuff over and over, you keep running into the same people and if your rep is that you use shills, your prices will reflect that.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Um, what's a rayon gab shirt?

many shirts in the 50s were made of rayon gabardine, a very nicely draping fabric. a run of the mill rayongab shirt won't get too much $ but certain patterns and color combos are very rare in good condition and to 50s rocknroll purists they will pay top $ for it, esp the collectors in Japan and Europe, where it's obviously harder to find this stuff, being purely American. I've seen certain gabardine jackets selling for $1000+ and shirts that go for over $500....and the best part is if you take really good care of it you can resell it and make your money back

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads