1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

eBAY auction prices

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wja, Mar 17, 2005.

1. wja

wja Well-Known Member

I was killing time browsing the suit offerings and looked to see what was on the last few pages. The idea of buying a garment with a double digit price fascinates me. Do any of you go bottom feeding? Any success? Is there a price point below which you know that you're taking a chance?

2. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I usually look at "newly listed" or "highest price" when doing a search. Sometimes, though, amazing stuff is priced low usually because the seller doesn't know what he or she is selling, and then has a lousy description so the item flies below the radar. Thus, it can really pay off to wade through the listings sometimes. Thanks to this, I've paid under $100 for, to name a few, (all in my size) a perfect pair of brand new Lattanzi's, a Henry Poole double-breasted black overcoat (with red lining), and the EG/RLPL brown suede monkstrap shoes I'm wearing today. Also, there is SO MUCH Oxxford on EBay, that the market price just seems to get driven down; thus, it's unbelievably common how easy it is to get perfect (but supposedly lightly used) Oxxford slacks for between $50-$85, Oxxford blazers for $65-$200, and Oxxford suits for $85-$225. I generally just skip past the listings for new Oxxford and seek out the good, reputable sellers, who have good pictures and good feedback, who are selling the like new items. It's also possible to get great deals on auctions by sellers who have crappy pictures (who wants to bid/take the risk?) and who have bad feedback -- however, I avoid these entirely unless the seller is very good about responding to my email inquiry (if I even bother with that).

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I've bought Oxxford suits for $20, Belvest suits for $60, Canali suits for $30, RLPL suits for $100, etc... on ebay... usually from people who don't know what they have, as kabert mentioned above.

4. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

I've done decent for me lowprice items are usually 50/50. I've bought two hickey freeman suits off of ebay. One for 12.00 and another for 22.00. The one i bought for 22 had a moth hole in it that i only discovered after bringing it to my tailor to be dry cleaned. The one for 12.00 is near perfect and i love it. As for shoes i've got one great pair of Harris shoes that fit really well, and a great seller who let me exchange them for a smaller size cause they run so large, and i bought a pair of Allen Edmonds for 20.00 that were crap, the pictures made them look good, only one pic but looked good and seller said that soles were great but the inside of the shoes was messed up and was really uncomfortable. So far i am 50/50 but when it comes to ties i've had great luck picking up some cheap talbotts and charvet ties. I'm looking for an oxxford though but haven't found any great deals llike those mentioned above.

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

Paul Stuart, whether used or new, seems to go way below what you would expect for a $1200-$1500 suit. I imagine that it would sell below a similar condition but $700 Brooks Brother suit.

Oxxford also goes low as well. Although the one I bought had a horrible cut (for me) and a slight pull in the wool that I didn't notice until a month after I posted feedback. And the pants are useless as well. Bleh.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

honestly, for all the money I've spent on absolute crap that doesn't fit me, it almost makes up for the deals i've gotten on stuff that has actually worked.
    i'd pretty much rather pay more in in-store sales.
    just my $0.02

7. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

there are a couple of things you can do:

1) for things like shirts/shoes/etc, where you might want to buy more than one item - buy the first in the store, determine after time whether it fits, and then buy identical fitting items on ebay.

2) for things you can't try on in the store, and assuming you have a decent enough feedback, be willing to sell them again on ebay if they don't fit without trying to make them fit.

that being said, i've been buying more stuff in-store than on ebay recently.

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Everything I ever got on ebay was a disappointment in price and/or fit.

I guess there is no substitute for being able to see, feel and try on the garment. And the prices I paid on ebay have often been twice what similar garments can be found for in some store.

9. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Whenever I search for items on ebay, I find it helpful to do this:

Open up a Word document, and list your favorite brands by category, separated by commas. For instance: (brioni, oxxford, isaia, kiton, attolini) or (da'mage, paper denim, rogan, earnest sewn) or (etro, paul smith, dolce, gucci, prada) etc...

Enter these search terms into the field (with the parenthesis) and then go to the option to save that particular search.

Usually what I do with my favorite searches is check out the items that are ending within the next 24 hours to find good/undervalued deals. Then I'll go back and select the option to show only buy-it-now items sorted low-to-high priced. Typically turns up some good deals.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

It is very quaint, isn't it?