• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay auction on Oxxford Navy suit

fries

Reaction score
Okay,

So I'm new here and I've been trying to find a decent deal on a good solid navy suit in TO. I pretty much looked everywhere and struck out at the retail level. I've been checking out Ebay and figured that I might find something there.

I bought an Oxxford solid navy suit 42R NWT unhemmed. I paid $550 US including shipping.

I know nothing about labels. I have one bespoke suit that I got years ago in Hong Kong and several years ago I bought a Canali overcoat that looks as good as the day I bought it. Other than that I've got suits that are okay but no name brands. Because of my experience with Canali I was looking to get a good solid navy through them but no dice on any deals. I've never even tried on an Oxxford but I had read good things so I figured I'd take the chance.

Please tell me that I made a good decision here. 550 US is like 700 Canadian and I'm not accustomed to throwing around a lot of cash on clothing. Still, I felt that I needed a good navy suit in my wardrobe as my old one needs replacing.

Good decision?

crpz32

Reaction score
Dumb decision spending 550 on a suit, doesn't matter if it's an Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, etc.
Do you know if the suit is of current design? It could be from about a decade ago with super low gorge or ultra wide lapels or what not.
And fit is the most important when it comes to suits. You have NO idea how it is going to fit you.

neyus

Reaction score
Im sure the suit would be good, provided its the right size. Due to your relative lack of inexperience with "labels" and such perhaps you should have purchased a few cheaper jackets so you get familiar with measurements and the stuff you like and then you would me more comfortable shelling out more money on something off ebay.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crpz32
Dumb decision spending 550 on a suit, doesn't matter if it's an Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, etc. Do you know if the suit is of current design? It could be from about a decade ago with super low gorge or ultra wide lapels or what not. And fit is the most important when it comes to suits. You have NO idea how it is going to fit you.
That's helpful. It's not a bad price to pay for a NWT Oxxford suit, especially considering that you'd shell out a couple grand at retail. Oxxford makes a truly beautiful garment, and the couple of things that I have by Oxxford are among my favorites. I'm assuming that the cut of the suit isn't extreme in one way or another, and so long as you're generally a 42 reg, a talented alterations tailor should make it a nice part of your wardrobe.

fries

Reaction score
Dumb decision spending 550 on a suit, doesn't matter if it's an Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, etc.
Do you know if the suit is of current design? It could be from about a decade ago with super low gorge or ultra wide lapels or what not.
And fit is the most important when it comes to suits. You have NO idea how it is going to fit you.

I wouldn't say I have NO idea how its going to fit. The measurements are right and I can tailor it. I also looked at the picture and the cut seemed nice (although it was a stock picture.)

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

fries

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlestonBows
That's helpful.

It's not a bad price to pay for a NWT Oxxford suit, especially considering that you'd shell out a couple grand at retail. Oxxford makes a truly beautiful garment, and the couple of things that I have by Oxxford are among my favorites. I'm assuming that the cut of the suit isn't extreme in one way or another, and so long as you're generally a 42 reg, a talented alterations tailor should make it a nice part of your wardrobe.

Yeah,

I guess I'll let people know when I get it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fries

I bought an Oxxford solid navy suit 42R NWT unhemmed. I paid $550 US including shipping.

Good decision?

If it is NWT, and if it fits, you scored.

Take it to a good tailor to get it altered...since it seems that you benefit from internet reassurance, there's no harm in posting photographs of it before you get it altered.

- B

lizmasc

Reaction score
Yeah it's a good decision if it's fit and because you need it for your wardrobe. When you get it throw us some pictures of the suit if you wish
tounge.gif
smiley2.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid navy Oxxford NWT for $550 I would consider a very good deal. If I'd seen it, I might have bought it.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cruiser?

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
Cruiser?

What I meant was that it's a waste of money if you buy something just for the label, when you absolutely know nothing about how it is going to fit or you are not even aware of when the suit was manufactured (for example, an 80's suit with exremely low gorge).

I have seen lot of Ebay purchases where the buyers paid ungodly amount of money on very outdated designer suits. They probably didn't know better; or maybe they just had really bad taste.

From what the OP posted, it sounded like he did not have too much experience dealing with suits. If everything works out, good on him, but I was just saying $550 is is too much to drop on a suit when you have not ironed out your fitting issues perfectly. Who is to say he might be purchasing a suit one size larger than he should be purchasing? we all know we see it happen all the time.

With that said, I hope everything works out for the OP

fries

Reaction score
What I meant was that it's a waste of money if you buy something just for the label, when you absolutely know nothing about how it is going to fit or you are not even aware of when the suit was manufactured (for example, an 80's suit with exremely low gorge).

I have seen lot of Ebay purchases where the buyers paid ungodly amount of money on very outdated designer suits. They probably didn't know better; or maybe they just had really bad taste.

From what the OP posted, it sounded like he did not have too much experience dealing with suits. If everything works out, good on him, but I was just saying $550 is is too much to drop on a suit when you have not ironed out your fitting issues perfectly. Who is to say he might be purchasing a suit one size larger than he should be purchasing? we all know we see it happen all the time.

Thanks, and I appreciate your opinion... otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

I guess my thought process was that I'd probably wind up paying that amount on whatever suit I bought anyway. Its been my experience that you can find decent suits at that price. My hope was to find a bargain on a good suit in TO but when you're looking for solid navy its next to impossible, they just don't seem to go on sale.

I realize that I'm taking a risk in doing this and I've never bought a suit online. The measurements seem to be okay though. I wanted a quality suit and figured that I'd have to wind up paying a fair bit for it. When I saw the auction come up, I read about Oxxford and how their OTR suits are supposed to be among the best. I figured at worst I'd be able to just resell it if it doesn't fit right. And if it does fit, I'll have a nice suit.

Hopefully the risk pays off.
smile.gif

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post the link from the auction, people here will be able to tell you how recent the suit is.

Felix Krull

Reaction score

Indeed, sir, you are quite correct in your assessment of the potential pitfalls awaiting the OP and those like him. I am so sorry to see the fate of Oxxford. What was once a proud brand and a very, very fine suit has now been compromised by those dogs at Tom James who now own the Oxxford company.

I will always have fond memories of Oxxford suits in their glory days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads