• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay and second hand shoes - any experience?

mikeynyc

Reaction score
Any one have any experience with this? Any thoughts?
I saw a post here a few days ago but can't find it now.

Assuming the manufacturer offers this service,
how would one go about sending them back to get resoled?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the manufacturer..

Or you can take it to your cobbler for repair.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of EG Malverns made in 1988 off eBay with the help of an uncle. I was right about the photos. The heels were hardly worn and the supposed scratch on top of one big toe is almost invisible, after polishing, even when you look up close. The leather was very soft and well-creased already, but my only complaint would be slight discoloration where the little toes are.

First week I wore them, my boss stopped in the middle of the corridor and stared at my feet for several seconds.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your higher ups seem like very expressive people.

mikeynyc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Those statistics about how much our feet sweat every day kind of wierd me out about using another man's shoes.

But that's just me.

I totally understand. I figure a healty dose of lysol and some gold bond would help get my mind off of that fact.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Those statistics about how much our feet sweat every day kind of wierd me out about using another man's shoes.

But that's just me.

It's not like the sweat is still in the shoes when you get them. I just put shoe trees in them for a couple of days before I wear them.

For some reason, with used shoes that I buy off of ebay, I tend to wear them a few times and then resell them. A few times that I've done this I've actually made a profit on the shoes. For example, I bought a pair of used AE MacNeils in black shell cordovan on ebay a while ago for $50. The seller did not mention in the auction listing that they were shell cordovan (maybe he didn't know). I wore them about five times and then I resold them on ebay. I mentioned in both the title and listing that the shoes were shell cordovan and they sold for over $100.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Apart from the hygienic aspects that keep me from buying used shoes one of the reasons I buy Goodyear welted shoes is that they adapt (right choice of words?) to my feet after some wearing, which makes them so comfortable. If someone has worn them before for quite a while, they won´t be an ideal fit to my feet anymore, thus an orthopedic issue.
I really think that sudor does get absorbed by the inner sole. The moisture will evaporate, but the nasty little germs will stay right there. The only efficient way to deal with that is to have the shoes refurbished - quite a costly thing to do if you use a qualified shoemaker who does the job properly.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
It's not like the sweat is still in the shoes when you get them. I just put shoe trees in them for a couple of days before I wear them.

Oh, I know. But you are thinking logically. There is not much logic in why some things gross us out.

well-kept

Reaction score
The ideal is to find shoes, the style and size of which you know from tactile experience are just right for you. Then, a "used" shoe that has been worn for literally five minutes by its original owner, deemed too tight, too loose, wrong style, etc... taken off and put in the closet. I've found several such on eBay, gotten them for a fraction of retail and made them my own. Shoes that have already had a long life on some else's feet will rarely work for a second owner, on any level.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been contenplating making a 'shoe Appreciation' post where the average cost per pair is under $65 delivered. All of these pairs were purchased as 'nearly new' off of Ebay, with less than a dozen (estimated) wears per pair. Often these appear to be display shoes or shoes that do not fit the owner. I have no qualms about buying used shoes so long as they have not begun to form to another owner's feet or have any visible marks (sock discoloration or sweat marks) on the inside of the shoes.

Over the last 2 years I have built quite the shoe wardrobe off of poorly chosen BIN price offering, poor pictures, mispelled listings, or dumb luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads