eau de toilette or parfum?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Renault78law, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I'm interested in acquiring a certain fragrance that comes in two formulae: eau de toilette and eau de parfum. I think I understand the differences. My question is, in practice, is there a clear preference to one over the other?

2. heartworm

heartworm Senior member

The difference is in the concentration of the aromatic oils. An amount of perfume will smell stronger than the same amount of EDT. So it's a matter of personal taste. I prefer EDT.

3. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I like parfum or a concentrated EDT, but they're hard to get in men's fragrances.

4. sleekman

sleekman Member

I prefer EDT. Parfums sometimes smells too strong.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like parfum or a concentrated EDT, but they're hard to get in men's fragrances.
    Some scent purists--usually French--maintain that there are no such things as men's and women's fragrances. They ask, are there men's and women's wines?

6. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

In a way, I agree with the French, but there are certainly some scents that smell better on one gender than another.

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Some scent purists--usually French--maintain that there are no such things as men's and women's fragrances. They ask, are there men's and women's wines?
    Indeed, the scent I'm considering is gender-friendly.

What do you mean when you say they smell too strong? I'm pretty sensitive to smell: I think it's unlikely that I'll apply too much. In fact, one of my biggest pet peeves is too much fragrance on a person. I'm more interested in the scent lasting a little longer.

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

It's almost impossible to answer your question, as it depends on how the fragrance is produced. I am currently wearing CinÃ[​IMG]ma by YSL, in the eau de parfum version. It is subtle, and you would need to stand fairly close to me to actually smell it. However, one day, I got tagged by a woman spraying Red Door at Macy's, and I couldn't get the darn thing off my coat for weeks.

My advice would be to have each of your wrists sprayed at the store with your two choices, and revisit the effect after two hours, go with what is most comfortable to you.

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

there are certainly some scents that smell better on one gender than another.

The same scent can smell differently from one person to another.

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

BTW: there is a difference between eau de parfum and parfum. The excipient concentration can be as much as double between the two. It's something like 12% for eau de toilette, 18-20% for eau de parfum, 20 to 40% for parfum.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor