Eating Healthy on Vacation/Long Flights

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JesseJB, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Anyone have any good tips on eating healthy and not coming back from vacation ten pounds fatter when youre visiting areas that don't have many healthy food choices? I'd especially like some tips on eating decently well on days when youre flying and having long layovers. Thanks!

2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Portion control and don't sweat it beyond that. I never gain wait on vacations because I usually end up getting fewer calories, not more. If you are OCD about macros during vacations, you'll be miserable.

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Anyone have any good tips on eating healthy and not coming back from vacation ten pounds fatter when youre visiting areas that don't have many healthy food choices? I'd especially like some tips on eating decently well on days when youre flying and having long layovers. Thanks!

Really?

Are you kidding?

It's call WILL

If you are really determined to eat healthy you'll find healthy food and not gain 10 lbs. Stop the excuses. If you actually gain weight, blame the person looking back at you in the mirror and not the place for lack of healthy food. [​IMG]

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

here;s what I do, carry some protien power with you, and have a protien shake before you go out to eat. you will be full, and then eat less. try to eat 2 or so meals a day or something small and healthy that you carry with you -protien or cliff bars, beef jerky, that kind of thing

5. jasperjasper

jasperjasper Well-Known Member

1. Make use of local groceries and farmer's markets. (Not to mention you'll have a more experiential trip by shopping like a local.)

2. During the nights I've spent in airports, notably where the only shop open was McDonald's, I made use of vending machines. A couple packs of nuts, yogurt, water, dried fruit, etc. left me more satiated and sound than a double "cheeseburger".

carry some protien power with you
    +1

6. SField

SField Senior member

here;s what I do, carry some protien power with you, and have a protien shake before you go out to eat. you will be full, and then eat less. try to eat 2 or so meals a day or something small and healthy that you carry with you -protien or cliff bars, beef jerky, that kind of thing

I know you've lost a lot of weight but that sounds miserable. I think protein powder is a crock of shit.

You'll never make good lifestyle changes until you drop shit like protein powder and start eating what you enjoy in quantities that are healthy.

If you're going to the south where there's nothing but chains and BBQ, then just eat less of the shit.

7. sigma

sigma Senior member

I know you've lost a lot of weight but that sounds miserable. I think protein powder is a crock of shit.

You'll never make good lifestyle changes until you drop shit like protein powder and start eating what you enjoy in quantities that are healthy.

If you're going to the south where there's nothing but chains and BBQ, then just eat less of the shit.

How is protein powder a "crock of shit"?

8. milosz

milosz Senior member

Every chain has a chicken caesar salad. Get it without dressing, squeeze some lemon on it instead. Boom, HEALTH FOOD.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

here's the thing - in the past month I've eaten in some of the best resteraunts in Brazil, Peru, Mexico City and Buenos ares. I eat as much as I want, of good food. in the past year, you could make that list into 30 or 40 cities. I very seldom sit at a table with people and think "I wish I could taste that, but I better not".

how? because I am already 80% full when I show up. I order what ever I want, I eat a bite of everyting on the plate, I ask the waiter to take it away. if I wasn't full, I wouldn't be able to keep the portions down like that.

so, what is bad about that? I went out with two guys this week who were dieting - one had a roasted chicken leg, scrapped the skin off and ate that. the other had a bunch of lettuce, nothing on it. I had a bit of 3 or 4 differnt grilled meats, and a piece of an empanada. who has a better system?

10. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Of course it depends on what kind of vacation it is, but's it's hard to control your portions when, for me at least, and especially visiting a foreign country, eating different foods is a substantial part of the pleasure in travelling - some of your best memories of a vacation spot are through your gut.

As long as you are not very sedentary on your vacation, and you shouldn't be, what's the problem? Canoeing, hiking, biking, swimming, or even walking around whatever city (or whatever your doing) is going to eliminate the difference.

I think globetrotter has a good suggestion, but in place of protein powder I would take protein bars - pop one in your pocket and snack on one. If you have a problem with protein, any good bar will do. This works wonders for two reasons: it eliminates the need to eat restaurant food three times a day (and who wants to cook on vacation?), which can be nauseating, depending on the food, and, two, it cuts some the costs by not having to buy restaurant food three times a day.

11. why

why Senior member

How is protein powder a "crock of shit"?
    Similar taste. Eat real food. Protein powder should probably be consumed by astronauts and people climbing Everest. There's little biological reason for globetrotter to even use it. It's just a psychological crutch he's relying upon, and it's a little perverse, all said.
    Every chain has a chicken caesar salad. Get it without dressing, squeeze some lemon on it instead. Boom, HEALTH FOOD.
    That's disgusting garbage, and it's no more 'healthy' than a burrito from Taco Bell.

12. bunnyoswaldo

bunnyoswaldo Senior member

Funny thing happened on the way to the kidney stone opera:

So I had a bout of kidney stones (ironically brought on from dehydration from a 60 mile bike ride)...damn things busted me for a month and a half. 5 surgeries, countless procedures where I awoke to peeing vast quantities of blood and gobs of vicodin later....I become a diabetic. Heavy genetic tendency, had worked my whole like to avoid it. Doc says high levels of health stress cause your body to fulfill its genetic downfalls....

so.....I now have to eat super healthy....period end of story. I travel a great deal and have found that something as simple as a jar of peanuts, a few raisins, a bit of salad and some water is a days worth of meals. Even driving to back water places in VA, I find places like Food City in Norton VA...they have everything I need: a few whole wheat thins, some peanut butter, a sliced cucumber. I used to default to small amounts of fast food or even subway thinking I was doing OK. This being diabetic has so far worked out quite ok. I was a relatively fit 5-9 175 and I now am a fitter 5-9 160.

ps...my avatar is a vintage 1972 Flying Scot....one of my better rides.

13. milosz

milosz Senior member

Wait, what exactly is unhealthy about romaine lettuce and grilled chicken?

14. dmash

dmash Senior member

Wait, what exactly is unhealthy about romaine lettuce and grilled chicken?
    [​IMG] lol my thoughts exactly. That comment was absurd. Throw in some extra virgin olive oil and that is a fantastic P.M. meal for the most avid weightlifters/fitness enthusiasts. or anyone wanting to stay lean for that matter.

15. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Anyone have any good tips on eating healthy and not coming back from vacation ten pounds fatter when youre visiting areas that don't have many healthy food choices?

You're visiting the American Deep South?