1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Eating habits

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by tthornell, Jul 18, 2007.

1. apocalypse later

apocalypse later Senior member

I've always been naturally slim, but recently I found myself having a bit of pudge. I figured out I just had been eating too much and doing too little.

I started running three nights a week and eating more frequently during the day, rather than eating three big meals. I eat much less during my meals and simply eat until I'm mostly full rather than totally stuffed (this way, in about five minutes after I stop eating I feel full rather than completely stuffed).

I got rid of the pudge in a month or two and I feel and look better than ever.

2. hollaforadolla

hollaforadolla Senior member

im a naturally not skinny person. i dont really eat healthy to lose weight or avoid a food group. to me a calorie is a calorie. i just eat less of everything.

the biggest help in losing weight is definently the scale. i have a digital one that gives me a precise measurement. being a number oriented person, i can adjust my diet if its obviously increasing too much on the scale after my meal. of course i give myself a bit of a leeway when i drank alot of water during that meal, which brings me to another point. drink lots of no sugar liquids like diet coke, unsweetened iced tea, water, coffee as it all makes you feel full much faster. i usually drink 3 cups of water during a meal.

3. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Become a vegan, and exercise.

or better yet, just eat healthy meals and exercise. Why be miserable just eating vegetables.

Also, keep in mind that even cows are vegetarian [​IMG] . Some of those huge salads that you order at American restaurants can be over 1000 colories (no joke). You might think you`re eating healthy (this usually applies to women), but in cases like this you are not.

Naturally skinny or not, I can`t imagine anyone getting fat from eating 3 balanced, normal, home cooked meals a day (no frozen, junk, etc.)

4. tthornell

tthornell Well-Known Member

I like what you said about eating three normal meals a day. I think my problem is compulsive snacking. I'm taking a bite of something all day long! I am going to cut out snacking and let myself get hungry in between meals. I think the snacks are doing me in.

5. apocalypse later

apocalypse later Senior member

I like what you said about eating three normal meals a day. I think my problem is compulsive snacking. I'm taking a bite of something all day long! I am going to cut out snacking and let myself get hungry in between meals. I think the snacks are doing me in.

Or, you could do yourself a favor and eat smaller portions for your three meals and have small, healthy snacks inbetween meals. Keeps your metabolism going.

6. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The ediets article refers to sleep, which often is the missing ingredient. If alcohol, sugar, indigestion, or just lack of time leads to a sleep debt, metabolism is harmed. Also, lack of sunlight (or vitamin D) possibly harms the waistline.

Olive oil isn't a magic elixir. It's main value is in not doing the harm that many other oils - trans fats, heavily saturated fats - do.

As pointed out, vegatables with meals help. It's mostly the fiber that does it. Plain salads can help by effectively being negative calories and, say, at a feast, using up time that otherwise would be spent gorging.

7. no_pseudonym

no_pseudonym Senior member

I'm naturally slim and haven't really been concerned about my diet till fairly recently. I have to say exercise easily trumps diet as far as staying slim goes. When I used to exercise more often, I could eat whatever I want and still remain slim. Now that I've stopped exercising as regularly, I've been slowly gaining a few ounces on my waistline.

8. Asch

Asch Senior member

I'm not sure anyone should be eating like a naturally slim person unless they actually ARE a naturally slim person. I am a naturally skeletal person; I can eat almost anything and stay downright ghoulish if I don't make a concerted effort to gain weight. My eating habits are going to be next to useless, and probably harmful, to someone who doesn't share my metabolism.
    +1

9. kakemono

kakemono Senior member

1. Drink water--lots of it. Stop drinking soda pop. Even the diet kind.
    2. Stop snacking after the evening dinner. It is amazing how much better you will sleep and how much better you will feel in the morning. Eating after dinner is just creating FAT.
    3. Eat just a little bit less at main meals. Have a mid morning and mid afternoon healthy snack--fruit, protein bar, protein shake.
    4. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Try Uncle Sam cereal with fruit. Or, Nature's Path Optimum Power cereal.
    5. Do anything, everyday, that keeps you active. Walk rather than drive. Jump rope. Take the stairs rather than the elevator.

I have lost 60 lbs in the span of 9 months doing these EXACT 5 things and nothing more. Its amazing that you listed these 5 things b/c its exactly what I tell poeple when they ask how I lost weight.

10. dude121

dude121 New Member

Nice discuss to start with tthornell.It's evident that you are very enthusiastic to become slim. I myself is keeping slim at an mature age of 40 following the below mentioned tips.Don't overload your stomach with excess volume of food in a particular time , instead take low amount of food numerous times in a day. Keep yourself away from cheap fast food. Walk at least 30 minutes a day in your convenient time.

11. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

1. Eliminate all sweets, including fake sweets. Both real sugar and fake sugar dull your tastebuds and lead to craving more sweets. The sugar which naturally occurs in whole fruit (not fruit juice) is enough.

2. Eliminate oil and egg yolks, which means no mayonnaise... EVER! Coleslaw often has a higher content of fat than french fries. Same goes for salad dressings. Olive oil and canola oil are OK as oils, but they're still very calorie dense, 100-150 calories per teaspoon. Most restaurant food is very oily since it has to be cooked fast at a high temperature, even if it's just a vegetable dish.

3. Cut way back on dairy. Try soy milk. If you get pizza, go very light on the cheese or try it without cheese.

4. Cut way back on red meat, never eat ground beef (which is trash). Be choosy with pork and chicken. Fish is normally OK (unless it's fried or prepared with oil).

5. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. If you canot reduce alcohol intake to 3-4 drinks per week, you'll never achieve your target weight.

12. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I have lost 60 lbs in the span of 9 months doing these EXACT 5 things and nothing more. Its amazing that you listed these 5 things b/c its exactly what I tell poeple when they ask how I lost weight.

Wow! Congratulations!

I only want to drop 10 lbs. After two months of more careful eating and doing more physical activity, I've lost 6 lbs. No fad diets; no pills.

13. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

1. Eliminate all sweets, including fake sweets. Both real sugar and fake sugar dull your tastebuds and lead to craving more sweets. The sugar which naturally occurs in whole fruit (not fruit juice) is enough.

2. Eliminate oil and egg yolks, which means no mayonnaise... EVER! Coleslaw often has a higher content of fat than french fries. Same goes for salad dressings. Olive oil and canola oil are OK as oils, but they're still very calorie dense, 100-150 calories per teaspoon. Most restaurant food is very oily since it has to be cooked fast at a high temperature, even if it's just a vegetable dish.

3. Cut way back on dairy. Try soy milk. If you get pizza, go very light on the cheese or try it without cheese.

4. Cut way back on red meat, never eat ground beef (which is trash). Be choosy with pork and chicken. Fish is normally OK (unless it's fried or prepared with oil).

5. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. ALCOHOL. If you canot reduce alcohol intake to 3-4 drinks per week, you'll never achieve your target weight.

...and you are naturally slim?

14. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

A lot of great advise has been hashed out already. The only thing I would add is to pay attention while eating a meal. Eat slow, enjoy it, and only eat until you are no longer hungry. Do not eat until you are good and full!

And I have to say I'm not fully convinced on alcohol negating weight loss/muscle gain. I hate to say it and it's something I need to change, but I've drank like a fish for the past two or three years steadily and have remained very slim. Say, an average of 3-5 drinks a day....but maybe it's just my metabolism.

15. ioscan -fnk

ioscan -fnk Member

I find eating frequently actually helps a great deal....every 3 hours or so..This will stoke up the metabolism. The trick is to never allow yourself to get too hungry or too full. If you eat before you are really hungry, you will eat less and not get too full. Also I find that a fair amount of good fat really helps...chicken with the skin, coconut oil..Finally no sugar of any kind and no alcohol, they both cause undesirable metabolic changes as well as hunger.

16. mensimageconsultant

There's some debate on whether alcohol directly affects weight, but it can affect it indirectly by lessening quality sleep and in turn slowing down metabolism.

Canola oil is not particularly healthy. As an alternative to olive oil, sunflower oil is one of the good options and probably best in seed form.

17. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

...and you are naturally slim?

No, more beefy than slim, but have lost 25-30 lbs in the last year. Cutting way back on alcohol helped the most. I wasn't a lush, but averaged 2 drinks a day every day of the week.

"Naturally slim" people probably wouldn't read this thread.

I agree with what you said earlier about why skinny people feel they must exercise to stay skinny. I think they're just compulsive.

18. Eason

Eason Senior member

Here's a tip from someone who knows: You and "naturally slim" people are not the same. You can't eat the same. You have natural set points, and unless you work at it for the rest of your life, you're going to keep going back up to your unhealthy weight. Cut high glycemic carbs and sugars out of your diet, that's what's making you hungry and eat even though your body doesn't need the calories. Stop drinking any soda, not even diet soda if you can't drink just one. As for alcohol, while you are losing weight you cannot have any alcohol, at all. We're not sure exactly how, but drinking alcohol blocks your body's metabolism of fat. You can slowly add drinks in once you're at your desired weight. In addition, make sure you are getting 8 hours of sleep every night. If you aren't getting that 8, you're more than likely going to find that the weight just will not come off.

19. Eason

Eason Senior member

There's some debate on whether alcohol directly affects weight, but it can affect it indirectly by lessening quality sleep and in turn slowing down metabolism.

Canola oil is not particularly healthy. As an alternative to olive oil, sunflower oil is one of the good options and probably best in seed form.

Canola oil and olive oil are both considered good oils because they're mono-unsaturated and increase your bodies HDL levels.

20. mensimageconsultant