• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating habits

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Incorrect. http://www.ediets.com/news/article.c..._1741946/cid_1 Certain foods (peanut butter, cottage cheese etc.) are perfect for pre-bedtime consumption. Athletes, bodybuilders... all do it.
Most people, when eating after dinner, probably are not going to snack on peanut butter or cottage cheese. Unfortunately. Hmmm, is there still a piece of cake? My, that pie in the fridge sure looks good. More potato chips? Better to discipline oneself to avoid snacking after dinner. "...to avoid the near temptation of sin!" Also, most people are not going to be very active after dinner. Nothing to burn of the calories.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
Most people, when eating after dinner, probably are not going to snack on peanut butter or cottage cheese. Unfortunately. Hmmm, is there still a piece of cake? My, that pie in the fridge sure looks good. More potato chips? Better to discipline oneself to avoid snacking after dinner. "...to avoid the near temptation of sin!" Also, most people are not going to be very active after dinner. Nothing to burn of the calories.

One wouldn't need to burn off the calories taken in after dinner if the rest of his/her diet is adequate and maintains a caloric balance. The foods I listed are just ideal choices, of course other options exist, ranging from almost-as-good to downright unhealth.
See also http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=492749

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tthornell
IHow do you lean people eat? Do you wait until you are hungry, do you snack often, do you always eat three meals. etc...?
I am, and have been my entire life, very thin. It is as big a curse as it is a blessing.

My eating habits are routine, but odd. I eat a small breakfast each morning: large bowl of ceral loaded with sugar, two slices of buttered cinnamon toast, OJ and a couple cups of coffee. Seldom eat lunch. Dinner is usually meat, vegetables, some more bread, milk. And always desert. During the work day I'll snack on donuts or other empty calories in the break room or a couple Nature's Valley granola bars. (As I write this, I am munching on some exquisite ice cream, caramel, peanut and graham cracker concoction a gal in my office brought in.)

My big problem is weekends: sometimes I simply forget to eat. I'll get busy doing something or another and *poof* one or two mealtimes have passed me by and I've had nothing but coffee.

I have only recently re-gained most of the weight I seemed to have lost during my separation: I am back up to 154 pounds. I am just a shade under 5'10". Even if I am eating three meals a day and snacking in between, I never seem to gain weight. I have surpassed 160 pounds one time in my life.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
Can you explain to me the whole olive oil thing? I feel like some people mentioned drinking straight olive oil for some kind of health benefit. Why? How is this better than using this in my food?

Heh... It's not. Feel free to douse your broccoli with it.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a few more data points for consideration. Most of the naturally slim men I know are "meat and potatoes" types. Three hot meals a day and all that. I don't follow the eating habits of my friends very closely, other than to say they prefer going to steakhouses when we go to restaurants.

On the other hand, I've dated some naturally slim women, and thus I've followed their eating habits more closely. Most eat absolute junk, and eat as much of it as they want. One girl was 5'10 or 5'11, built like a runway model, and her favorite restaurant was IHOP. She'd polish off a plate of fruit syrup soaked pancakes or waffles, with bacon and eggs like it was nothing. Another girl loved classic American style food (fried chicken, burgers, fries, etc). She too would clean a plate of greasy food. Another girl favored Chinese buffets. Ice cream, actually dairy in general, seems to be a favorite of the thin girls I've dated.

I should mention that all these girls were fairly young when we were dating, say 18 to 25 years old, and thus had blazing fast metabolisms. Some of slim girls I've been friends with have packed on the pounds once they started getting close to 30.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
I've always been naturally slim, but recently I found myself having a bit of pudge. I figured out I just had been eating too much and doing too little.

I started running three nights a week and eating more frequently during the day, rather than eating three big meals. I eat much less during my meals and simply eat until I'm mostly full rather than totally stuffed (this way, in about five minutes after I stop eating I feel full rather than completely stuffed).

I got rid of the pudge in a month or two and I feel and look better than ever.

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
im a naturally not skinny person. i dont really eat healthy to lose weight or avoid a food group. to me a calorie is a calorie. i just eat less of everything.

the biggest help in losing weight is definently the scale. i have a digital one that gives me a precise measurement. being a number oriented person, i can adjust my diet if its obviously increasing too much on the scale after my meal. of course i give myself a bit of a leeway when i drank alot of water during that meal, which brings me to another point. drink lots of no sugar liquids like diet coke, unsweetened iced tea, water, coffee as it all makes you feel full much faster. i usually drink 3 cups of water during a meal.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut
Become a vegan, and exercise.

or better yet, just eat healthy meals and exercise. Why be miserable just eating vegetables.

Also, keep in mind that even cows are vegetarian
laugh.gif
. Some of those huge salads that you order at American restaurants can be over 1000 colories (no joke). You might think you`re eating healthy (this usually applies to women), but in cases like this you are not.

Naturally skinny or not, I can`t imagine anyone getting fat from eating 3 balanced, normal, home cooked meals a day (no frozen, junk, etc.)

tthornell

Reaction score
I like what you said about eating three normal meals a day. I think my problem is compulsive snacking. I'm taking a bite of something all day long! I am going to cut out snacking and let myself get hungry in between meals. I think the snacks are doing me in.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tthornell
I like what you said about eating three normal meals a day. I think my problem is compulsive snacking. I'm taking a bite of something all day long! I am going to cut out snacking and let myself get hungry in between meals. I think the snacks are doing me in.

Or, you could do yourself a favor and eat smaller portions for your three meals and have small, healthy snacks inbetween meals. Keeps your metabolism going.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ediets article refers to sleep, which often is the missing ingredient. If alcohol, sugar, indigestion, or just lack of time leads to a sleep debt, metabolism is harmed. Also, lack of sunlight (or vitamin D) possibly harms the waistline.

Olive oil isn't a magic elixir. It's main value is in not doing the harm that many other oils - trans fats, heavily saturated fats - do.

As pointed out, vegatables with meals help. It's mostly the fiber that does it. Plain salads can help by effectively being negative calories and, say, at a feast, using up time that otherwise would be spent gorging.

no_pseudonym

Reaction score
I'm naturally slim and haven't really been concerned about my diet till fairly recently. I have to say exercise easily trumps diet as far as staying slim goes. When I used to exercise more often, I could eat whatever I want and still remain slim. Now that I've stopped exercising as regularly, I've been slowly gaining a few ounces on my waistline.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I'm not sure anyone should be eating like a naturally slim person unless they actually ARE a naturally slim person. I am a naturally skeletal person; I can eat almost anything and stay downright ghoulish if I don't make a concerted effort to gain weight. My eating habits are going to be next to useless, and probably harmful, to someone who doesn't share my metabolism.
+1

kakemono

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
  1. Drink water--lots of it. Stop drinking soda pop. Even the diet kind.
  2. Stop snacking after the evening dinner. It is amazing how much better you will sleep and how much better you will feel in the morning. Eating after dinner is just creating FAT.
  3. Eat just a little bit less at main meals. Have a mid morning and mid afternoon healthy snack--fruit, protein bar, protein shake.
  4. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Try Uncle Sam cereal with fruit. Or, Nature's Path Optimum Power cereal.
  5. Do anything, everyday, that keeps you active. Walk rather than drive. Jump rope. Take the stairs rather than the elevator.

I have lost 60 lbs in the span of 9 months doing these EXACT 5 things and nothing more. Its amazing that you listed these 5 things b/c its exactly what I tell poeple when they ask how I lost weight.

dude121

Reaction score
Nice discuss to start with tthornell.It's evident that you are very enthusiastic to become slim. I myself is keeping slim at an mature age of 40 following the below mentioned tips.Don't overload your stomach with excess volume of food in a particular time , instead take low amount of food numerous times in a day. Keep yourself away from cheap fast food. Walk at least 30 minutes a day in your convenient time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads