• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eat, pray, love

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The title is gag-inducing... Why is this every woman's favorite book? =/ Do women like gagging? Just wondering...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've even heard of women who go on "eat pray love" vacations.... they're the same ladies that puts magnolia bakery cupcakes as a must-do when they step to ny because they saw it on satc

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know nothing of the book or the movie, but after she watched the flick, The Woman Who Isn't Rube's Girlfriend™ attacked me in bed with the fury of a thousand Amazons.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ You must look like Javier Bardem.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
I've even heard of women who go on "eat pray love" vacations.... they're the same ladies that puts magnolia bakery cupcakes as a must-do when they step to ny because they saw it on satc

ah, women.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I know nothing of the book or the movie, but after she watched the flick, The Woman Who Isn't Rube's Girlfriendâ„¢ attacked me in bed with the fury of a thousand Amazons.

Hope the injuries healed quickly.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I had a similar question about The Notebook. that movie suuuuuucked

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
I had a similar question about The Notebook. that movie suuuuuucked

yeah but rachel mcadams
inlove.gif

Still, i'm not even talking about the movie. They put this as their favorite book... Of all the great literature out there, they pick this steaming pile. ugh. it just makes me sad.
frown.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
couldn't tell you. i think my girlfriend's favorite book is Henry and June

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I used to respect Nicholas Sparks. Never read any of his books, but he got women who didn't normally read to read, and I think a more literate America is a good thing. My girlfriend at the time read him and she never read anything more than a People magazine article. So I respected him.

Then I read a USA Today (speaking of ****** writing) interview he dead. Holy ******* **** is the man self-delusional.

When asked about Cormac McCarthy and Blood Meridian (probably one of the twenty greatest American novels ever written), he said "Horrible, this is probably the most pulpy, overwrought, melodramatic cowboy vs. Indians story ever written."

He went on....asked what he likes in his own genre, "There are no authors in my genre. No one is doing what I do."

Then, he contradicts himself..."I'm going to interrupt you there. There's a difference between drama and melodrama; evoking genuine emotion, or manipulating emotion. It's a very fine eye-of-the-needle to thread. And it's very rare that it works. That's why I tend to dominate this particular genre. There is this fine line. And I do not verge into melodrama. It's all drama. I try to generate authentic emotional power."

He's one of the handful of people I might actually walk up to and punch if I saw them in public.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Synopsis on this book or movie please? I need in on some apparent lulz.

Or wait, is this that Julia Roberts movie?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Synopsis on this book or movie please? I need in on some apparent lulz.

Or wait, is this that Julia Roberts movie?

I know absolutely nothing about the movie, but let me take a whild guess at the plot....

1. "overstressed" American woman (i.e., she has to work 45 hours per week and people ask her to do stuff) with an insensitive partner (i.e., won' put up with all my **** and won't support my artsy stuff because he's all serious and stuff with bills) feels restless. She's a "workaholic" who has reached her breaking point. She doesn't have kids either, because then she couldn't leave, right?

2. In a choppily edited scene, she realizes that she has to get out of the USA, we're all such idiots here, amirite? Also, current loutish boyfriend/hubby gets kicked to the curb.

3. She travels overseas. encounters a bunch of regional stereotypes - a frisky frenchman, an orderly German, etc....

4. She invariably meets an eccentric older man with a thick foreign accent who gives her invaulable wisdom.

5. She also meets a sensitive, handsome foreigner. The good kind of foreign, like French or Spanish or Italian. Definitely not a German (too orderly/Nazi/unsexy accent), Swedish (again with the accent), Hungarian (OMG is that even a real country?). or Muslim (terruh!)

6. He teaches her how to let go and live the life she's always wanted. He appreciates her for who she is and all her wonderful quirks (which in men would be pet peeves). But alas, their love is not to last.

7. She returns to America refreshed and turns her life right around.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I know absolutely nothing about the movie, but let me take a whild guess at the plot....

1. "overstressed" American woman (i.e., she has to work 45 hours per week and people ask her to do stuff) with an insensitive partner (i.e., won' put up with all my **** and won't support my artsy stuff because he's all serious and stuff with bills) feels restless. She's a "workaholic" who has reached her breaking point. She doesn't have kids either, because then she couldn't leave, right?

2. In a choppily edited scene, she realizes that she has to get out of the USA, we're all such idiots here, amirite? Also, current loutish boyfriend/hubby gets kicked to the curb.

3. She travels overseas. encounters a bunch of regional stereotypes - a frisky frenchman, an orderly German, etc....

4. She invariably meets an eccentric older man with a thick foreign accent who gives her invaulable wisdom.

5. She also meets a sensitive, handsome foreigner. The good kind of foreign, like French or Spanish or Italian. Definitely not a German (too orderly/Nazi/unsexy accent), Swedish (again with the accent), Hungarian (OMG is that even a real country?). or Muslim (terruh!)

6. He teaches her how to let go and live the life she's always wanted. He appreciates her for who she is and all her wonderful quirks (which in men would be pet peeves). But alas, their love is not to last.

7. She returns to America refreshed and turns her life right around.

This is pretty good. Let's not forget though... Those 45 hour work weeks are very rough...
laugh.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to respect Nicholas Sparks. Never read any of his books, but he got women who didn't normally read to read, and I think a more literate America is a good thing. My girlfriend at the time read him and she never read anything more than a People magazine article. So I respected him. Then I read a USA Today (speaking of ****** writing) interview he dead. Holy ******* **** is the man self-delusional.
Yeah, I read an interview with him and he seemed really unctuous. He's one of those guys who talks about his "brand", refers to himself in the third person, and says things like "A Nicholas Sparks movie is money in the bank!"
I know absolutely nothing about the movie, but let me take a whild guess at the plot.... 1. "overstressed" American woman (i.e., she has to work 45 hours per week and people ask her to do stuff) with an insensitive partner (i.e., won' put up with all my **** and won't support my artsy stuff because he's all serious and stuff with bills) feels restless. She's a "workaholic" who has reached her breaking point. She doesn't have kids either, because then she couldn't leave, right?
I'm assuming the female protagonist in the movie is an author, just as the real-life Elizabeth Gilbert is. She went on the little world tour described in "Eat Pray Love"… with the advance money she recieved to write "Eat Pray Love". Edit: I like your movie better though. She needs to work at a place like a hair salon where one of her cow-orkers is sassy gay black man who peppers the dialogue with wisecracks, says things like "Haaay gurrrlfriend!", and is otherwise superfluous to the plot.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time I heard of it, I was really excited. I thought it was some sci-fi horror romance. "Eat prey, love"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads