1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Eat, lift, and grow big

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by jarude, Apr 13, 2010.

1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

You've hit the nail on the head by using the term "full potential". It doesn't matter if it's a gram, ounce, or half pound - if you want to gain every possible molecule of muscle from a work out you will have to gain "some" fat.

You can, however, make the choice that every possible molecule is not necessary.

2. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

go and find yourself an olympic weightlifting club and join. you will get ripped, burn loads of calories, get hellishly strong and have the fun of hanging out with like minded people.

soon vanity based improvements will become secondary to the thrill of catching a heavy lift. and the sport aspect will keep you interested for much longer.

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

That sounds like a great idea. I never thought to look for an Olympic club. After I reached my strength goals, I had considered Crossfit.

4. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

go and find yourself an olympic weightlifting club and join. you will get ripped, burn loads of calories, get hellishly strong and have the fun of hanging out with like minded people.

soon vanity based improvements will become secondary to the thrill of catching a heavy lift. and the sport aspect will keep you interested for much longer.

+1 While I didn't join an olympic club, I did follow an olympic lifting routine(snatch, clean, jerk) for 6 weeks to improve my explosiveness. What a great workout! The amount of cardiovascular fatigue was totally unexpected, and the "thrill of catching a heavy lift" was addicting.

5. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

That sounds like a great idea. I never thought to look for an Olympic club. After I reached my strength goals, I had considered Crossfit.

i would personally avoid crossfit if you have any interest is size or strength

6. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

A great idea, but O-lifting clubs are few and far between. I'm lucky to have found one where I live for $25 per month. I also have a lifting platform and bumper weights that I set up in my garage when the weather is good. O-lifting is incredible exercise and it's amazing to watch an O-lifter snatch a decent amount of weight overhead in the blink of an eye. It isn't amazing to watch me though.[​IMG]

7. LucasCLarson

LucasCLarson Senior member

O-lifting is awesome.

I beats the hell out of your body though. If you don't plan on getting some good sleep/rest time, you'll feel like you want to die!

8. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

the problem is getting to sleep after training in the evening

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

they just opened a bootleg version of westside barbell by my house. am joining monday. [​IMG]

10. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

they just opened a bootleg version of westside barbell by my house. am joining monday. [​IMG]
    Jealous, that would be awesome! I've toyed with the idea of powerlifting, but without a PL gym in the area it would be tough. Especially without the support of being around others who are as passionate as you are.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

personal achievement. you can get a pretty impressive body doing PL, though i vary between pl and pump style training

12. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

13. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

What's the appeal to powerlifting? Is it just about setting goals and pushing your body to the limit?

If so, why not pick a similarly phsycial endeavor that has the added benefit of a more aesthetic physique (eg: triathlons or something)?

Not ragging, honest question.

idk, if you like looking like a triathlete you should definitely do it, but powerlifting will definitely help you pack on muscle mass. It isn't always aesthetically friendly though especially when it comes to wearing certain types of clothing.

14. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

Powerlifting helps to build core strength and a base from which to gain strength. you don't have to be a powerlifter for the rest of your life, but the basics of powerlifting provide a good base on which to grow.

15. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

the main apeal of powerlifting is anyone can do it in nearly every gym. no skill or coaches required.

16. seanpatrickb

seanpatrickb Senior member

I live about 40 minutes from westside. There are actually a lot of good gyms around me, only about 20 minutes to get to a monolift. To do real power lifting training you need more than just a basic gym, but this is after you have built up base strength. The power lifting you can do at any gym is to focus on the big three; deadlifts, squats, and bench. Although i don't recommend flat bb bench.

17. stickshift

stickshift Senior member

Powerlifting helps to build core strength and a base from which to gain strength. you don't have to be a powerlifter for the rest of your life, but the basics of powerlifting provide a good base on which to grow.

perhaps....that's if your joints still survive.

18. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

What's the appeal to powerlifting? Is it just about setting goals and pushing your body to the limit?

If so, why not pick a similarly phsycial endeavor that has the added benefit of a more aesthetic physique (eg: triathlons or something)?

Not ragging, honest question.

Raw, f*cking power! Lifting more weight than the average gym rat believes is possible. The average powerlifter isn't interested in an aesthetic physique, only on how to increase his/her total. But on the flip side, a great powerlifter can easily become a great bodybuilder; he already has a substantial amount of muscle mass, and by cutting down on focusing on aesthetics he could certainly be competition worthy.

19. stickshift

stickshift Senior member

Raw, f*cking power! Lifting more weight than the average gym rat believes is possible. The average powerlifter isn't interested in an aesthetic physique, only on how to increase his/her total. But on the flip side, a great powerlifter can easily become a great bodybuilder; he already has a substantial amount of muscle mass, and by cutting down on focusing on aesthetics he could certainly be competition worthy.

The competition powerlifters I know who do 800+ lb squats still say that repping 225 lb squats feels like there's a house on your back.

20. jarude

jarude Senior member

+1.

I used to be a bodybuilder wanna be doing mad volume fantasy workouts and got nowhere for years. Was afraid of not getting big enough doing mainly compound lifts instead of mad curls. As soon as I tried strength training, I've never gone back.

Nothing more fun than PRing.