Eat, lift, and grow big

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by jarude, Apr 13, 2010.

1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

It requires you to assume that higher reps = max hypertrophy.

It does not require you assume higher reps = "max" hypertrophy, just more hypertrophy, and if you haven't found evidence, you haven't looked.

I have a bar and some dumbbells but no power rack or bench. Gym is not an option. What can I do?

If I didn't have a squat rack, I would power clean and front squat, or some variant. I don't know those terms very well.

2. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

what lift for looking good naked, i mean even better than i already look

i dont give a rats ass about strength

3. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

what lift for looking good naked, i mean even better than i already look

i dont give a rats ass about strength

penis curls

4. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I guess that might be the most practical thing to do. It requires you to assume that higher reps = max hypertrophy, which I've heard a lot of hearsay about, but haven't seen any hard evidence for (not that I doubt there's evidence, just haven't seen it yet).

Looking in the mirror doesn't really work for me, because I see myself in the mirror every day so it's hard to track incremental changes. Also, a more quantitative measure would be better for A/B testing.

Looks like you're SOL if you don't like any of those methods of tracking progress. Sure, they require a little bit of work (except for the mirror method-seriously not that hard if you have an idea of what you want to look like). Don't just "look" in the mirror: analyse yourself, flex, do what ever the hell you want but pay attention to the muscular change assuming you are changing. If that's not the case you have other problems besides tracking progress.

Higher reps doesn't equal max hypertrophy, just look at all the skinny gym rats who do 3x8-12 and never look any different then when they started. Wouldn't call that max hypertrophy.

One strength coach I admire (Christian Thibaudea) has found throughout his research that the optimal rep range strength AND hypertrophy is 3 reps and anywhere from 5-8 sets. The reps are done with maximum acceleration, until you cannot perform 3 reps with perfect form. From personal experience I know that this method works: I have noticed a huge difference in strength and hypertrophy since switching to Thibaudea's methods.

I have a bar and some dumbbells but no power rack or bench. Gym is not an option. What can I do?

Do you have weights for your bar? If so, how heavy? There is alot you can do with a barbell and dumbbells, assuming they are heavy enough for your fitness level.

5. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

6. svelten

svelten Senior member

The harder thing for most perennially skinny-folks is, IMO, the food. If you've got a gym membership, sticking to schedule isn't difficult. Go in, warm up, do your sets hard, cool down and leave and you'll often be done in well under an hour - that's less than 3 hours a week. Eating enough and at the same time in a healthy manner is much, much more difficult especially if you're preparing your own meals.

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

re: looking in the mirror

It's better not to look every day, anyway. Try once every two weeks.

The worst way to monitor progress is the scale. And an alternative could be wearing your slimmest t-shirt every two weeks.

I have noticed a huge difference in strength and hypertrophy since switching to Thibaudea's methods.

I am curious about the details of this program. Got a good link?

8. seanpatrickb

seanpatrickb Senior member

To monitor gains I would say just pay attention to strength gains. It should be a while before you begin to gain strength without gaining much muscle, a very long while. If you're getting stronger you should be getting bigger muscles. Another great site is elitefts.com. Thibaudeau is mostly on t-nation, right? Also, Dorian Yates would disagree with higher reps equalling more hypertrophy if you are using bodybuilders as measuring sticks in this thread. And it has been said by plenty of people that Paul Dillet would grow from mowing the lawn just by popping some orals, and is a notorious pussy in the gym.

9. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

People should not be modeling their workout routines on pro bodybuilder's routines unless you yourself are at that level of fitness and experience.

10. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

...and do performance-enhancing drugs.

11. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I am curious about the details of this program. Got a good link?

Thibaudeau is mostly on t-nation, right?

Yup, Thibaudeau is on T-Muscle. I've been an avid reader for a couple years now, and feel that t-muscle.com is one of the best fitness sites out there.

db_ggmm, I have been following the I, Bodybuilder program ever since it was first released in January. You need to have access to a gym, and read all the articles posted by Thibaudeau in regards to the Perfect Rep and autoregulation if you think you want to try the program.

Oh, and the Anaconda protocol that they sell is recommended but not required. I personally don't use it (too much $$) and have had great gains since starting the program.

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Plz ratez my workout today:

Overhead Presses (with a barbell, duh) 6 sets total, 4x7, 2x5 (heavy!)
    Deadlifts same as above, 6 sets total, 4x7, 2x5

Done.

kthxbye!

13. Jsquxe

Jsquxe Active Member

Plz ratez my workout today:

Overhead Presses (with a barbell, duh) 6 sets total, 4x7, 2x5 (heavy!)
    Deadlifts same as above, 6 sets total, 4x7, 2x5

Done.

kthxbye!

bout 3.50/10

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

db_ggmm, I have been following the I, Bodybuilder program ever since it was first released in January. You need to have access to a gym, and read all the articles posted by Thibaudeau in regards to the Perfect Rep and autoregulation if you think you want to try the program.

Ahh, I see it, thanks. I can't play those videos at work with outdated Flash, but I can tell the program is way more advanced than I need to be worrying about.