• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastland Made in Maine

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
As you may or may not know, Eastland's doing an anniversary collection that's named after its source: Made in Maine. What interests me is the general lack of enthusiasm I'm seeing out there by people who normally love Quoddy, Yuketen and nearly all things Made in the US of A.

Now, the collection isn't the most original, but it definitely looks and feels good (at capsule). It's pretty similar to the stuff that's out there, is made here in the US (presumably well), and is priced around $250-$350 (not cheap, but not Yuketen-expensive). At Save Khaki, we presumed they'd be a pretty big seller (when they arrive this week), much like the chukkas we carried. Time will tell, but I'm curious why no one's excited by it. Saturation? Unoriginal? Hate Eastland? Poor marketing? Please share.

see the collection on Sart Inc here

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw these on Sart Inc and they looked nice. I really don't know much about Eastland, but I will give you my impression. Given that the bulk of their other stuff appears to be imported, this seems like a fad or jumping on a bandwagon of sorts. Do they have a factory in Maine or are these being made by someone else. Is it a long term commitment, or just a limited time anniversary offering?

Nothing against Eastland, but when you compare to someone like Quoddy, who seems to live and breathe the Made in Maine angle they seem to fall short.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think part of it for me is because I spot Eastlands all the time when I'm dragged out to Nordstrom Rack on one of wife's many shopping sprees. Seeing that there's nothing but your run of the mill Made in China crap in the men's department, I'll inevitably end up trawling the shoe department to see what's there (mostly more Made in China crap).

Their shoes all look like very cheap Red Wing heritage knock-offs with no originality. Couple that with their Wal-Mart-esque logo and you've got a company that is in need of some serious rehabbing. Hopefully the Made in Maine line will help them accomplish that. Not sure what it will take to convince the SF/Sufu crowd to buy into it though.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by burningbright
Couple that with their Wal-Mart-esque logo and you've got a company that is in need of some serious rehabbing.

I forgot about the little green tag. If the made in Maine line sports that, I fear it is dead in the water.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I saw these on Sart Inc and they looked nice. I really don't know much about Eastland, but I will give you my impression. Given that the bulk of their other stuff appears to be imported, this seems like a fad or jumping on a bandwagon of sorts. Do they have a factory in Maine or are these being made by someone else. Is it a long term commitment, or just a limited time anniversary offering?

Nothing against Eastland, but when you compare to someone like Quoddy, who seems to live and breathe the Made in Maine angle they seem to fall short.

Ha! I was actually going to post the bit about competing with Quoddy's Maine image.

I agree 100% with your concerns. My thought in rehabbing their image would have to involve closing up their overseas factories and manufacturing exclusively in Maine. It probably amounts to corporate suicide but if they were to try and do it, now would be the time. As depressed as Maine is right now, they could probably find the affordable labor to make it happen and any marketing department right now would love to advertise that their products are American made in this hard economic climate.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate
As you may or may not know, Eastland's doing an anniversary collection that's named after its source: Made in Maine. What interests me is the general lack of enthusiasm I'm seeing out there by people who normally love Quoddy, Yuketen and nearly all things Made in the US of A.

Now, the collection isn't the most original, but it definitely looks and feels good (at capsule). It's pretty similar to the stuff that's out there, is made here in the US (presumably well), and is priced around $250-$350 (not cheap, but not Yuketen-expensive). At Save Khaki, we presumed they'd be a pretty big seller (when they arrive this week), much like the chukkas we carried. Time will tell, but I'm curious why no one's excited by it. Saturation? Unoriginal? Hate Eastland? Poor marketing? Please share.

see the collection on Sart Inc here

for me its not the lack of enthusiasm at all, its just i already have my favorites, quoddy, yuketen, and oak street bootmakers. the other issue is when you buy a shoe from the above, you can easily get them resoled, repaired, etc. with eastland you will need to figure out who made that particular style....its a pain imo. but the designs are classic so they will always be in style which is a good thing. but ill pass unless they do some really innovative.

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
I believe they're all made in the same factory in Maine...(yuketen, quoddy, oak st and eastland).

As for them jumping on the bandwagon, I'd agree to a small extent. Eastland's still based in Maine after 55yrs and has always made similar styles, so it's not a huge stretch. It's not like we're talking about 10 Deep or someone similar doing a made-in-US camp moc...

(Oak Street also just launched last week, so they've obviously grown on you quickly to be included in your favorites list. That said, I like the guy behind their branding, so I'm certainly not bothered by it.)

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I believe they're all made in the same factory in Maine...(yuketen, quoddy, oak st and eastland).

As for them jumping on the bandwagon, I'd agree to a small extent. Eastland's still based in Maine after 55yrs and has always made similar styles, so it's not a huge stretch. It's not like we're talking about 10 Deep or someone similar doing a made-in-US camp moc...

(Oak Street also just launched last week, so they've obviously grown on you quickly to be included in your favorites list. That said, I like the guy behind their branding, so I'm certainly not bothered by it.)

lurker[1].gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dixonmanor
Don't know about Yuketen, but Oak Street is 100% made in Maine.
you know what, your right actually, oak street is made in maine.

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
I feel like you answered a lot of questions that weren't asked, nor really implied, but thanks...Hostility aside, the bulk of Yuketen's production is done in a factory in Maine, and they were once bed buddies w/Quoddy (though I'm sure they do work elsewhere) http://salvatory.tumblr.com/post/357...h-yuki-matsuda

Originally Posted by whatever123
no, i will not be ordering a pair of eastlands. final answer.

Glad we cleared that up since my "question" was an obvious sales ploy for the online store that we don't have...

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
I agree 100% with your concerns. My thought in rehabbing their image would have to involve closing up their overseas factories and manufacturing exclusively in Maine. It probably amounts to corporate suicide but if they were to try and do it, now would be the time.
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening, haha. Cheap labor in Maine can't compare to cheap labor overseas, unfortunately...But, it's certainly a step in the right direction if the collection continues beyond this season (not privy their future plans, personally).
As depressed as Maine is right now, they could probably find the affordable labor to make it happen and any marketing department right now would love to advertise that their products are American made in this hard economic climate.
The manufacturing biz in the whole region could definitely use a boost. I visited Fall River, MA a few months back, and it was sad to see so many historic factories closing or working at 25% capacity.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I feel like you answered a lot of questions that weren't asked, nor really implied, but thanks...Hostility aside, the bulk of Yuketen's production is done in a factory in Maine, and they were once bed buddies w/Quoddy (though I'm sure they do work elsewhere) http://salvatory.tumblr.com/post/357...h-yuki-matsuda

Glad we cleared that up since my "question" was an obvious sales ploy for the online store that we don't have...

smack.gif

JMK

Reaction score
I was looking forward to seeing the full range of the Eastland Made in Maine collection, but I thought the pricing would be lower seeing as they are rather late to the game. Also, they don't offer anything custom, and that includes offering widths, which both Quoddy and Oak Street do.

lawlercon

Reaction score
"So, if you are going to talk about American Heritage, please make sure you know what you are talking about. I know it is difficult because you are in North Carolina, and the only heritage from that state is Slavery."

best thing i've read in awhile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads