• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastern Europe suggestions

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current plan is Hungary-->Bosnia-->Croatia. Anyone have any suggestions? It's a pretty short trip, about 1.5 weeks, but either way, anyone who's been through Sarejevo I'd love to hear what you think.

Anyone know how to go about renting an apartment in Split?

lithium180

Reaction score
hostelworld.com is the site that I've used when backpacking in Europe. Lots of options there for all different levels of lodging.

Some of these countries, when you get in to the beach towns, there will be little old bubushka ladies at the train station offering cheap (usually REALLY cheap) accommodations. Again it depends on what level of comfort to cost you are looking for.

If you're going to stay south, Vienna is a cultural capital, kind of like an eastern Paris. Haven't been to Budapest but I hear very good things.

I personally like the weirder countries in Europe with less tourists. My favorite place in Eastern Europe was Ukraine and if I were going to the region that you are, I'd probably go to Hungary Serbia, Albania, Croatia. Albania hasn't made it in to the EU yet and the stories I've heard from people who went through there were pretty entertaining. Then again, my idea of a good time is drinking with shepherds and the like.

Romania had the prettiest girls that I saw in Europe and I heard that Croatia is up there too. And in the summer, parts of Croatia become huge havens for Russian tourists. (Who know how to ******* party!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
)

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard the same thing about the girls in Romania

Thanks keep the suggestions coming

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
Have fun!

Wandering through Eastern Europe is one of the things I hope to do before I die!

I would love to go to Slovenia, my grandparents were from there.

What about Macedonia? I have a good friend who is from there, loves it much more than America. And his mother, well she is above average!

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent 3 weeks last year in Budapest, various parts of Romania and Vienna and I must say that both Budapest and Vienna live up to their reputations as fantastic cities, the best parts of Romania were not urban. Bucharest pales in comparison to the other two; it's all block housing and drab office buildings, traffic and pollution. However, Transylvania is the heart+soul of the country -- Sighişoara and Braşov in particular for my trip.

Whether or not Romanian girls were the prettiest, I'll reserve judgement, but I will say that as a rule, personal appearance was highly regarded, especially when it came to the "boom and pow".

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nico Samuel Pleninsek

What about Macedonia? I have a good friend who is from there, loves it much more than America. And his mother, well she is above average!

+1 on Macedonia. I try to go to Macedonia every couple of years (since I was born there). Ohrid is probably one of the nicest resort towns in southeastern Europe.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
romanian girls are very hot, and not all that, um, reserved. if I had been receptive when I traveled there, I would have been on the recieving end of a lot of very hot chicks. bulgarian are too, by the way, maybe even hotter. bucharest and sofia are both great cities.

a lot of the cities in the ex-yug and balkans are a little boring, I think that a day or too in each may be enough. sofia, lubliana, bucharest, podgeriza, belgrade. the coast of montenegro is also pretty cool - a few years ago it was really not discovered, not it is more "in"

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm visiting these parts now. Croatia is really nice, especially Split. Right now I'm in Zagreb but will be flying to Dubrovnik in a few days. My understanding is that Dubrovnik is something special, thus I'm looking forward to the visit.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
romanian girls are very hot, and not all that, um, reserved. if I had been receptive when I traveled there, I would have been on the recieving end of a lot of very hot chicks. bulgarian are too, by the way, maybe even hotter. bucharest and sofia are both great cities.

a lot of the cities in the ex-yug and balkans are a little boring, I think that a day or too in each may be enough. sofia, lubliana, bucharest, podgeriza, belgrade. the coast of montenegro is also pretty cool - a few years ago it was really not discovered, not it is more "in"

Hopefully I'll be able to quit working in may/june next year. I'm tentatively penning Romania in for next summer!
laugh.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Drop me a line when you're coming to Budapest. Also did a quick write-up in Matt's drinking holes thread.

Tom

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
Romania had the prettiest girls that I saw in Europe and I heard that Croatia is up there too. And in the summer, parts of Croatia become huge havens for Russian tourists. (Who know how to ******* party!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
)

Also a lot of Italians in Croatia on vacation in some parts.
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm visiting these parts now. Croatia is really nice, especially Split. Right now I'm in Zagreb but will be flying to Dubrovnik in a few days. My understanding is that Dubrovnik is something special, thus I'm looking forward to the visit.
Dubrovnik was awesome. Loved it so much I bought my first speedo there! Another awesome place in Croatia is the Plitvice National Park, one of my favorite places on earth. Careful though, when they post signs they really mean don't walk. I later found that is where they laid many land mines during the war. A city I also liked was Ljubljana, Slovenia. I'm not sure why exactly I just liked it. If you want a more scenic part of Slovenia definitely check out Lake Bled.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Another awesome place in Croatia is the Plitvice National Park, one of my favorite places on earth. Careful though, when they post signs they really mean don't walk. I later found that is where they laid many land mines during the war.

A city I also liked was Ljubljana, Slovenia. I'm not sure why exactly I just liked it. If you want a more scenic part of Slovenia definitely check out Lake Bled.

I visited the Plitvice Park a few years ago and heard stories of how the army controlled it and left land mines behind. It's an absolutely stunning place to experience. Numerous breathtaking waterfalls.

I went to Ljubljana several years ago and loved it so much that I returned a year or so later. I also visited Bled and liked it a lot.

I'm headed to Dubrovnik tomorrow and look forward to a great time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads