East vs West Coast Living

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by grimmie, Jan 17, 2012.

1. grimmie

grimmie Member

We've all heard the stereotypes, which coast do you think is better? Pros and cons?
    Where do you live? Where do you wish to live and why?
    I grew up in LA but lived most of my adult life in various places in the east coast (Northeast to be more specific). This is my last semester as a grad student and am thinking about starting fresh but also settling down. Obviously, I'll be going wherever there's a job for me. But if both places offered good pay, I would have hard time deciding where I should go. I have a love/hate relationship with NYC. LA is hands down best place to settle down in my opinion but I'm not willing to go back home just yet. DC looks like fun place to be and so does SF. What do you say?

2. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

I love California but I can't stand the people, esp. the Los Angeles junk activists who impose their version of morality on others. There are so many rules and regulations that make absolutely no sense. New York is not far off from CA. The South is still my favorite part of the USA.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

3. kngspook

kngspook Member

I traveled a similar path as you, and I'm now spending a lot of time in SF. I'm not a huge fan. I have nothing against the so-called hippy/stoner culture, but somehow being around it and having it permeate the culture 24/7 is starting to get to me... I guess I like a more fast-paced lifestyle, which you don't get up here.

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Much like you I grew up on the west coast (14 years) and have lived on the east coast since (about 18 years).

After having visited my family out west again this last holiday, it confirmed for me that I'd much rather live out there: Portland, Oly, Seattle, etc. I'm in DC. DC might have a lot going for it (jobs, culture, etc.) it also has some of the rudest people you will ever meet, and that's really starting to drag me down.

I would pick the PNW because I find the people to be friendly and more laid-back, I prefer the weather, and I like the access to both water and mountains.

b

5. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I've lived on the west coast my whole life. living on the east coast scares me because the people seem so blunt and rude (rather than fake and backstabbing like in LA).

6. giraffe lookout

giraffe lookout Senior member

I'm from Northern Virginia but I lived in Portland, Oregon for like 8 years. DC is because there all these self-proclaimed foodies and decent restaurants are so hard to get into but the quality of food is usually not what it is elsewhere and doesn't tend to be very creative.

On the other hand, the average level of education is much higher here and people are much more with it in regard to politics and current events etc. I'd also say that with the exception of SanFran, the music is way better out here too.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No, they are backstabbing as well as being blunt and rude. Regarding fake: it depends what industry they work for.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I live in NYC and wouldn't change it for the world. The only thing I hate really is how hot and humid it gets in the summer.

9. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Been on the East Coast my whole life. It has its problems but I can't see myself leaving.

10. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

If winning means being hit by multiple hurricanes every year.

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

It's not even all that bad in the summer time, but perhaps I don't think so because I don't have to deal with those sweltering subway platforms....

I might do a short stint out west, for a year or two, but I don't see myself getting attached.

13. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

+1. Third Coast all the way.

But if I could only choose East or West, I'd rather choose West. This is based off my 3 day weekend visit to NYC one year and 3 day visit to San Fran the next year around early October.

14. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Grew up in and around Los Angeles, lived in NYC for a couple of short stints as well; go to college in the Bay area.

Much prefer California.

15. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

West side playa for life.