1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

East Sicily Tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by UrbanComposition, May 27, 2016.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

When do you expect you'll take delivery of the two recent ones, UC?

2. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Ah was Sexton? I have written about him: A poor tailor who, as Madrid ones, he is unable to cut a proper sleeve and seems stucked on the bad sense and on the worse decade, the late 80s). Another hyped un-tailor.

No wonder how I never got any interest on non South Italian tailors, the one good ones (at this time), the other you mentioned, one semiok who I consider post the real good times of SR, nothing more. I he was placed on Italy, would have been a unknow, unglorified tailor working for 400euros a jacket ( the next one doesn´t deserves paying more), again, nothing more. Sorry to say, that is the truth.

Just did a google search and the first image found was this defective poorly fitted crap, so I was right. ( btw, looks a random size Isaia with 3 sizes more trouser) in fact a rtw Isaia, the most English like Neapolitan house , hence my less loved one, but let me tell you, any of this untailoring issues would be found on a 1500euros rtw suit, that I am pretty sure, cost at least 4 times less than this poorly cutted and worse fitted unsuit: ( I also wonder why any spends such a fortune, takes this pics believing he got a masterwork, but the only thing he gets is the international ridicule:

http://heinfienbrot.tumblr.com/post/105185395904/hamish-bowles-in-a-bespoke-double-breasted-suit-by

[​IMG]

Douglas Hayward, then no please, I prefer Douglas Fayrbanks and the golden age of SR,lol
    [​IMG]

My tribute again to the real good unknow tailors of South Italy, who not only are the best in the world, but are humillated, working for very low, or ignored by the so called experts: bloggers, rakish and you know the next... Better for them to be ignored by those, for real.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

No, Douglas Hayward is not Edward Sexton.

4. SartodiNapoli

I know, if you read carefully my prior post, will know that I explained why both, Eddy Sex-teen and the other can´t be considered even tailors for me, or South Italy.

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Probably in a month or so. The dollar to euro ratio is pretty good these days. I'll be going there next summer so if there's any fit issues, I can bring them along for tweaking.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

The photo you pulled is of Hayward's contemporary line, which exists now like how the Hardy Amies line exists. Hayward died years ago, and he stopped making clothes decades ago.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread. Last year, you saw a photo of Edward Sexton and asked who he was. I'm just surprised you've never heard of these people.

7. SartodiNapoli

I have explained you, I do not care or interested about modern English tailoring since I do not consider it even tailoring. I am only concerned about good tailoring wherever it is made.
    England is not nowadays a place that does, so why would I invest my time reading the Rake or similar brainwasher written by clueless people paid to hype? To have laughs, I sometimes read Mad magazine.

When Cesare Attolini dies (I hope the last as possible in time), I hope any of his heritors ever profanates his name or brand doing such a crime as that Hayward’s contemporary line I posted. Better to close the factory or change the name, just for respect.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  8. UrbanComposition

Sooooo back to the subject at hand, since many tailors don't take credit cards, and taking cash out can be a pain, I decided to try PayPal's Xoom service to transfer funds directly from my bank account to Palmisciano's bank account. The surcharge was only five dollars, as opposed to the $40 my bank charged when I did it through them. Just something to keep in mind the next time you go abroad, it's a pretty painless service, and the transfer time is several business days.

3 people like this.
  9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Is that like a wire transfer then? Would be great to have another way to do them where you dont have to fill out 2 pages of paperwork (especially if the other party doesnt need to have Xoom)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  10. cchen

cchen Senior member

@UrbanComposition you could also try transferwise

11. UrbanComposition

With Xoom, as long as you have your account info and that of the other party, there's no need for the other party to have PayPal. Anyone who has tried explaining how to create a PayPal account to an older person who is already reluctant to to anything on the internet knows the pain. The struggle is real.

Haven't tried Transferwise but if it's anything like Xoom, I'm all for it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. SartodiNapoli

Xoom, sounds interesting. Never heard about.

I assume is a similar to Western union more or less but the transfer goes from Paypal to his bank account?

13. UrbanComposition

I may be mistaken, but I think Western Union requires the recipient to physically go to an office to receive payment. If they deposit directly into the recipient's account that would be convenient but the charge is much higher than Xoom.

14. SartodiNapoli

I lost my VISA once and a relative sent me urgent cash via Western, for 200 euros, the rate was huge, they scanned my ID as well, so this Xoom sounds very good.

15. bloodyj13

bloodyj13 Senior member

Sounds great, would you give us more details, say, can I do the transfer from credit card AC to the bank AC of the tailor through this?

16. UrbanComposition

You can use a credit card, but I believe the surcharge for this is about $40.

17. novalis

novalis Senior member

Five years ago I had the pleasure of ordering my first Arrigo jacket made from a light 8.5oz Italian windowpane jacketing. Below are recent photos of me wearing it. Since then, I have ordered several garments including jackets, suits, pants and an overcoat and have been very satisfied.

Keep in mind that my measurements have changed in the chest and waist in the last few years but I have not had that initial jacket adjusted in any way. So it now sits a bit closer to the body than it did initially. However, it is still one of my favorite jackets and I wear it regularly with pleasure.

The pants were made a couple of years ago by Arrigo’s workshop from a heavy English whipcord. Note: bottom two pics show me in motion.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. UrbanComposition

I think what Arrigo does best is his shoulder and drape. A very soft English style. Can you take closer pictures of the jacket itself?

19. novalis

novalis Senior member

Agreed, he has a great eye for the shoulder and shapes it accordingly and with interesting, subtle variations. Here's a view of his first suit for me based on a variation of a spalla camicia. I didn't ask for this variation specifically but perhaps he was inspired to experiment by the cloth - a dry, crisp English windowpane.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

gorgeous shoulders