East Bay Tailor - Bay Area, CA

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 19, 2010.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am on the search for a tailor in the East Bay who can tailor pants and jackets. Ideally they will be responsive to the subtleties of sleeve and pant length. Any suggestions?

2. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

I'm a noob when it comes to tailoring but I've been using Advanced European Tailoring on Addison in Berkeley (off Shattuck near University) recently to tailor a sportcoat, some pants and shirts. I'm happy with their work and their shop is sort of on my way to work. There are a number of reviews on Yelp and I think I saw them mentioned on SF when I did a search. Good luck.

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I've used the same tailor, as has my wife. I've never used a consensus "great" tailor so I can't say if he's one or not, but my alterations seemed to be adequate (though my jacket sleeves are still too long).

The tailor seems to know about construction, and advised me not to dry clean fused garments, so he at least has that going for him.

4. GusW

Were the jacket sleeves longer than what you asked for?

I don't like it when tailors, to be on the safe side, add a bit of length to sleeves and pant legs. That is very department store type of tailoring. I'm looking for something better.

I have used Oxford in SF for a long time, but I have to wait several weeks for things. The last two jobs weren't done when promised which didn't make me very happy. They also have raised their prices. And, if you are going to raise prices you better deliver on time, IMO.

Plus, I'm in Walnut Creek so an East Bay tailor would be handy.

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I took my jacket to this tailor when I just started working in a business dress environment so it's hard to say who's at fault. I doubt I told him where to set the sleeve length. He either set it himself, or used my (poorly fitting) shirt sleeve as the guide.

For whatever reason, it seems like all my jackets get tailored too long when I leave it up to the alterations person. It could be as you say, that they're being safe, or it could be something with the way I stand when I'm paying attention versus when I'm not.

I have one suit and one nice blazer that need altered and I'm debating giving him another crack at my nicer garments. One thing's for sure though: he's more skillful than the people at Brooks Brothers in SF.

6. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Just remembered I took my new suit jacket to this place too after it was "tailored" in SF by BB. There was a collar bubble and an issue with the vent which they fixed quickly in time for me to attend a funeral a couple of days later.

psguy, I've read on Yelp there is a place right near the Whole Foods on Newell called Arachne's Thimble? I never used her. If you find a good tailor near you then let me know as I live in Moraga.

7. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

Escobar tailors in Pleasant Hill - on contra costa blvd, besides Monsoon Masala restaurant.
    Mr Lee's in the Willow Pass shopping complex, next to ranch market.

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Though not in the east bay, I used Oxxford Tailors across the street from Neimans near Union Square for probably a hundred different pieces I bought off ebay, or on sale at local stores. I was originally referred to them by a salesman at Wilkes during one of their warehouse sales. They do excellent work and can do literally anything. When the Borrelli store opened, they did their alterations (I don't know if they still do). They once shortened the sleeves on a Borrelli suit jacket that I purchased from Ian Daniels from the shoulder, with excellent results. The jacked already had functioning buttonholes, thus couldn't be shortened from that end. Anyway, they're wonderful people and do great work.

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Senior member

I do everything during the work week while in the City. Diaz Brothers Tailors in Rush building. He shorten sleeves on my Isaia Sportcoat by pulling up at the shoulders...bravo.

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Read:

Were the jacket sleeves longer than what you asked for?

I don't like it when tailors, to be on the safe side, add a bit of length to sleeves and pant legs. That is very department store type of tailoring. I'm looking for something better.

I have used Oxford in SF for a long time, but I have to wait several weeks for things. The last two jobs weren't done when promised which didn't make me very happy. They also have raised their prices. And, if you are going to raise prices you better deliver on time, IMO.

Plus, I'm in Walnut Creek so an East Bay tailor would be handy.

11. mouseandcat

mouseandcat Senior member

advanced euro tailor does a decent job. but hella expensive. used 4 times, b/c i didn't want to try anyone else...but one jacket (waist + roll in neck) cost ~100 (2 years ago)

12. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

Nice that you threw the hella in there. Go NorCal. I used AET once for a rather complicated job which they botched pretty hard.

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

I've mentioned this several times.
    If you wind up going to the City,
    stay away from Jon Minor. He ruined
    a pair of my slacks about 10 years ago.
    My own tailor is excellent, but is in
    Menlo Park, and tends to be late with
    the work.

14. GusW

J
    psguy, I've read on Yelp there is a place right near the Whole Foods on Newell called Arachne's Thimble? I never used her. If you find a good tailor near you then let me know as I live in Moraga.

Thanks for that heads up in WC.

15. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this several times. If you wind up going to the City, stay away from Jon Minor. He ruined a pair of my slacks about 10 years ago. My own tailor is excellent, but is in Menlo Park, and tends to be late with the work.
    Who's your tailor?