• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Earring/Plugs still in Style?

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Hey, im considering getting plugs or like a simple hoop earrings or like diamond/glass looking stud's (think hip-hop). Im 26 and soon to graduate with a bachelors degree and most likely will end up working for a big corporation do who knows what the hell what. I've never had my ears pierced. Im a white dude with dark brown hair. I wanted to do this when I was 18 but never got around to it. Im thinking it might look stupid now that im getting close to 30. I guess I could take them out if I end up working for an corporation that would hate them. What do you guys say? Would this improve my image at all? Good idea? Bad Idea? Similar to this guy (Google search image, closest thing to the size of plugs I was thinking of...) This is not me:
tumblr_limpf6CJpV1qf7kp7o1_500.jpg

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You already have on enough accessories. They're OK, but they don't enhance your look.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
You already have on enough accessories. They're OK, but they don't enhance your look.

That's not me. Thats a google pic.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoops. IMHO earrings either feminize you or make you look more harsh and antisocial. But at least they're temporary. You can dump them immediately if you need/want to, it's not like having a barbed wire tat or something permanent.

Does it match your personality?

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
They never were.

That's what I was thinking.

I think the best way to look at things is, was it in style 50 years ago? 100? Will I look back 5 years from now and wonder WTF was I thinking?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're coming out of school and searching for a job, earrings aren't going to help. They're not generally accepted in a professional environment. With regard to taking them out, this is a possibility once they've healed, but what will you do if you get an interview in the interim? Also, plugs can't just be put in - you have to pierce first and then stretch to the gauge you want.

I don't have anything against guys piercing their ears (I had both of mine done when I was a teenager and kept them well into my 20s), but 26 is kind of late to get started with the whole thing. It's sort of a teenage/college thing that some people just end up keeping, rather than something you decide to do when you're an adult looking for a job.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
(...) Im thinking it might look stupid now that im getting close to 30. (...)
this sums up my thoughts - but then again I've managed to avoid earrings, piercings, and tats altogether.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well, the upside is that you'll always have a convenient place to store your pens/markers/crayons.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to tell you a secret . . . everyone gets old.

So all the stuff people do in whatever generation think is "cool" will carry on with them as they get older. Then one day, you realize that you currently look marsupialed and that you always did.

Evidence? See tattooed people. Unless you're a total badass, eventually you're going to be watching antiques roadshow while telling your 12 year old child to turn the music down and get you a diet coke.

As usual, the real answer is . . . do what you want.

kaiimac

Reaction score
Age is only a number. And dude, your 26! Do what you want. You can stretch your ears up to about 2g before they will never close up again. It will be awhile before you are up to that size, so you have time to decide. I say, get them pierced. I have 00g plugs and am 25, so I clearly like the style.

On the other hand, I hate little hoops or diamonds.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wore earrings around the same time that I had too-big jeans, **** sneakers, those fabric belts, and probably a little chain necklace. Don't do it in the 21st century man. It was out of style (if it ever WAS a style) in 1996 at the latest.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get fake plugs. They don't increase the size of your earlobes, but look just like the real thing. They're two pieces that screw together through a regular pierced ear-hole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads