• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early '90s Ralph Lauren English Benchmade and Italian Shoes?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new here and didn't see a shoe-specific board to post this on so if this is in an inappropriate spot, no problem for one of the moderators to move it.

Anyhow, I'm reinvigorating some of my sartorial interests and taking inventory of higher quality items in my wardrobe from when I started to first make some significant investments.

I have these two pairs of Polo RL shoes and am interested if anyone here might know which makers/cobblers RL may have been contracting with in the early 90's? I believe both these pairs were purchased between '91-'93 at RL boutiques.

The Penny Loafers say "Benchmade in England", and the Cap Toe Derby's are "Made in Italy".

Both are calf, and I realize may be more of a higher volume factory production shoe than the RP price tags back then would have reflected.

Thanks for any insights and looking forward to continued learning from all the community knowledge here.

Cheers.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks much. It appears you're most probably right about the English made ones being Crockett & Jones.

http://www.classicshoesformen.com/manufacturers/ralph-lauren

A pleasant surprise to discover I have a C&J pair in my shoe closet that I didn't realize until now. And a quick google search led me to the classicshoesformen site which looks to be a good resource.

For the Italian made ones, what would be the distinguishing features in the inside lining that would help identify them?

Also, any idea who was making Cole Haan's Bragano line of the same vintage (early 90's) also made in Italy? I have several pairs of those as well. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads