• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early 1960's Fashion Thread

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much.

I was an original mod, well the Aussie equivalent. Probably still am, albeit a rather decrepit version.

Apart from wearing 60s styles, I also watch endless TV shows and movies from "my" era. It's interesting when I go to buy them from Amazon UK (the best source) you always find "last one" or "only three left, more coming soon."

There seems to be a level of interest which is increasing if anything and many of the favourable review of the mostly British series are from Americans.

A lot of people seem to be after the "good, clean fun" those shows provided without the current epidemic of movies which are either cartoons or CGI shows with no plot and endless bad language.

BTW my tailor here (and in the US now - P.Johnson) have just come up with a jacket which is pure 60s. It has a slimmer lapel and a slightly lower and smaller gorge. Looks very cool.

They like it so much they tell me they want to make it their standard.

I also love Tailor CAID in Tokyo, a guy totally devoted to Ivy League and preppy 60s fashion.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The recent and superb film Gangster Number 1 in inspired on the 60s, got super suits.

I'd forgotton all about that movie. That one was an absolute cracker. Thanks Sarto.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spectre, I'm afraid all I know of Mods v. Rockers is what I picked up from listening to Quadraphenia over and over.
biggrin.gif

Coburn

Reaction score
My guy James Coburn

Coburn

Reaction score
Redford. Perhaps late 60s and 70s.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick McGoohan. (Not widely known: though McGoohan was raised in Ireland and Britain, he was actually born in the US.)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread desperately needs a moderator.
Is it about "Mod" syles or 60s style trends.
If the latter, then the Ivy League Style must be included,
as it was the dominant influence at least in
Nortrh America

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Sport-Coats/

Last edited:

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had hoped it would encompass all styles from the 60s - more business outfits than pure mod, but certainly Ivy League. Can't reflect on the glory that was the 60s without that, especially as there seems to be a slow return to that era after too many years of too wide lapels and too much Neapolitan worship IMO.
Of course I have been guilty of that too but I am getting thoroughly sick of it all. Need the sleeker look (obviously not the current hideous shrunken designer version) back again.
I got a fabulous navy wool bomber jacket from O'Connell's last year.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be a kindred spirit to me Spectre.
Every time someone posts a picture in Saturday Nigh Fever lapels you can bet the farm that there will be a storm of compliments.
I'm no fan of one inch lapels but who made the SF rule that wingspan lapels are objectively good and 'slim' lapels get little to no appreciation?

Anyway IMO the early sixties Mod look (perhaps those early shots of Michael Caine are among the best examples in this thread so far) is the epitome of great style.

Check out my blog, the theme of which is being influenced by the Mod style but not enslaved by it.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shawl cardigans can only be photographed with exposed penises. Apparently.

MATEMALE

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Strange that I didn´t see any Thomas Crown Affair picture in this thread. It was a reference to mods back in the 60´s!!

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super blog TWD!

And yes, Steve McQueen was very underrated as a more formal icon. Whether in The Thomas Crown Affair or in the shot above with Garner and Coburn, he really knew how to pull off the look.

He wore a suit as well as anyone and IMO looks the best of the trio.

He and Michael Caine were probably the coolest two guys on the planet in that era.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm bashing this a bit to keep this thread active but I believe there is some logic attached.

Wide lapels clearly give off a horizontal appearance as you subconsciously look for a split second from side to side to take it in while slimmer lapels give a vertical impression, adding to height (which I need).

The wider the lapel the more "squarer" you look I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads