• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early 1960's Fashion Thread

Statesboro

Reaction score
I've fallen in love with the mod look recently. For now I'm only requesting photos for inspiration but with time, I hope I'll be able to contribute myself.

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple to get us started

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whose that little old man?
(he's very clean, you know)

Alright, done my part.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread should have gone on a lot longer. As the OP said, the 1960s were the pinnacle of fashion, only IMO of course - clean, slim, sleek, simple and uncluttered lines.

And before you tell me to start it up again myself I have to confess I have forgotten how to put up pics. Can someone please help?

Good starting point would be google search of Connery's Bond, Patrick McGoohan's Secret Agent (Dangerman in the UK and Aus), The Saint, Avengers etc.

Anything from Bullitt, The Graduate, Funeral in Berlin, Ipcress File or other Michael Caine 60s movies also would work.

I'm trying to kick start a revival of the 60s which doesn't involve the current trend of 1" wide lapels and ties and suits several sizes too small.

Thw 60s suits were slim but well proportioned - lapels were slimmer than the current Italian trend of course - but not as extreme as they are now, and the look was distinguished more by a smaller and slighly lower gorge.

Flat front and cuffless pants add to it all, with plain black or brown captoes or even desert-type boots like maybe Alden suede chukkas - McGoohan wore these a lot with suits in the show.

Anyone care to take this further? Getting a bit sick of ever widening lapels and notches sitting on top of the shoulders.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right of course but still a stellar example of the style.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of the British Mod Look from there early 60s:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B-SNNId8vMs/Uo4ikrbiwkI/AAAAAAAACb8/C7KZf-pCgtk/s1600/modscan.jpeg

Most of the photos above are a hodgepodge of prominent personalities
form the 60s through the 80s who hardly conform to the Mod aesthetic
or demographic. eg. Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, Richard Burton, Sean Connery
etc. The Mod Look describes one of the rival British Youth Subcultures of the 60s which
affected a clean-cut look vs the Rockers who did not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_rockers

Last edited:

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The recent and superb film Gangster Number 1 in inspired on the 60s, got super suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads