• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ear Blocked?

libertine1

Reaction score
About 2 days ago I woke up and I didn't feel totally deaf in my right ear but more like 3 quarters deaf. It felt blocked up so I cleaned it out with some cotton buds...still felt the same, put a tiny bit of really hot water over my ear...nothing.

Any ideas? It's really annoying...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go visit an ear doctor. You probably have it blocked with ear wax. Q-tips will only make it worse at this point by compacting it more. You need to have it irrigated with a plastic syringe and if you have the doctor do it they can look it over and make sure you didnt do any damage.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or it could be jizzum clogged up in there...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lay on your side and have someone pour peroxide into your ear. It will dissolve the wax. You'll hear the peroxide begin to bubble almost right away and it will last several minutes, do this to both sides.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Lay on your side and have someone pour peroxide into your ear. It will dissolve the wax. You'll hear the peroxide begin to bubble almost right away and it will last several minutes, do this to both sides.

+1

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited

It depends on how bad it is. If he has a **** load compacted in their (happened to me once when I was younger) then that won't be enough. It's what happens when you produce a lot of wax and use q-tips. You end up packing it in and making it worse.

I say try that and if it does not work, visit the doctor.

roryben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Go visit an ear doctor. You probably have it blocked with ear wax. Q-tips will only make it worse at this point by compacting it more. You need to have it irrigated with a plastic syringe and if you have the doctor do it they can look it over and make sure you didnt do any damage.

Ear syringing is one of the best feelings EVER.

But OP - it might be a number of things. Might just be a nasty infection. Or, if it feels like there's pressure in your ear, and you do that open-and-close mouth thing to make your ears pop but it doesn't work on one side, maybe you've got glue-ear - which kids get a lot more than adults - where fluid has built up behind your ear drum.

Equally it could be a tumor. Maybe you were at a gig the other night and stood next to the speaker on one side and have irreversible hearing damage. But in summary, get it checked out. Your local doctor will be able to tell if it's one of a few common problems just by looking in your ear.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had fluid behind the eardrum, my Dr suggested OTC nasal decongestion sprays. It took several weeks to dry up.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats how it felt when i popped my ear drum. i doubt you popped it but dont **** around with your ear when you dont know whats going on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads