• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

TMMKC

Reaction score
Oh, the cushioning is probably fine for what the chair is. It's not as soft as a real Eames lounge chair (if memory serves), but I'm not going to invest any money in getting it re-done. It's not worth it to me. It's in a home office, and I spend most of my time at my desk anyway.

Probably the one thing I don't like is that it seems short and the upper back rest doesn't come anywhere near my head. The fixed recline angle is fine (I guess…could be a little more), but it's difficult to REALLY relax and rest my head in this chair. May I assume that all of these lounge chairs are made at a fixed angle, and are NOT recliners? Also, I believe real Eames lounge chairs are available in a taller size, so its entirely possible that's been my frame of reference all along. More padding in the lumbar region would be nice too, but that can be remedied easily enough with a small, narrow pillow.

I read a good amount of reviews several months ago when I was considering buying one for my home office, but came to the conclusion that I didn't want one unless it was an original (where I could get a taller size), or that's it's just not the chair for me. On the upside, it seems to be pretty well made and it's really great to look at...so there's that.

Oh, well. It was a gift and its the thought that counts…so I'm a gracious recipient. Thank god my wife didn't buy me a real one, or I'd feel REALLY guilty! LOL.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The real Eames is a short chair. Even the "bigger" version is only two inches taller. They're not really designed to support your head unless you slouch.

Can't say about that particular knockoff, but even the real ones are a lot more comfortable after they break in for a bit. The foam gets more pliable, the shock mounts give you more flex. It's pretty rigid out of the box, but you get just enough flexion to make a big difference in comfort. Some of the knockoffs have extremely rigid (or not even rubber) shock mounts, so that may be an issue.

TMMKC

Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HM = Herman Miller?

Herman Miller sells the authentic Eames lounge, as does Design Within Reach and others. If you want the real deal, that's what it costs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience starting a State Farm office?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No one in this thread has bought an HM Eames. I think that much is clear.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does anyone here have experience starting a State Farm office?

I need a good source for knock-off Eames Aluminum office chairs for my insurance office. Hook a brother up.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was looking for an eames chair replica for a fair price and could not find anything on the High Street at all. I found the ones I liked on mhd. It was easy to order, delivery was within the timescale stated and I liked the no quibble return policy. The item looked super on the web page and when they arrived I was not disappointed. Not only do they fit the space exactly but they look very classy . Unbeatable for the price, I would recommend to anyone.I think replicas worth a go

Sounds completely legit.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

incredible how this thing just keeps rolling

Last edited:

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Went through this thread, lots of info. I'm wondering if anyone here can give an update on their IFN chair? I'm thinking about getting one, and IFN seems like the best deal. Rove seems great, but its almost $3k with tax and shipping within Canada, which i a lot for a repro chair.

Lots of great feedback and positive stuff here from people, but most of it is all people who have only posted in this thread and never elsewhere, which is a hint suspicious.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Lots of great feedback and positive stuff here from people, but most of it is all people who have only posted in this thread and never elsewhere, which is a hint suspicious.

A few of these repo companies have reputations for shilling on various forums and blogs. Regardless of the products true qualities or virtues, I would stay suspicious of random glowing reviews you may read online.

EDIT: Regarding IFN, I appreciate the fact that they are willing to give you close ups of various details like the chrome work and seams. Non of it looks as nice as you would get with the authentic items but at least they are not hiding this. Giving you a better idea of what your money is getting you.

http://www.ifn-modern.com/seating/lounge-chairs/wing-style-chair-ottoman.html

Last edited:

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I was looking for an eames chair replica for a fair price and could not find anything on the High Street at all. I found the ones I liked on mhd. It was easy to order, delivery was within the timescale stated and I liked the no quibble return policy. The item looked super on the web page and when they arrived I was not disappointed. Not only do they fit the space exactly but they look very classy . Unbeatable for the price, I would recommend to anyone.I think replicas worth a go

I have one from Barcelona Designs (same as MHD, since the box it came in read Manhattan Home Design) - and found it to be disappointing. It's nice to look at as a display piece, but having sat in a Herman Miller Eames before, it's just not as comfortable. The cushions are too stiff, and the angles don't seem right - and you just don't get the feeling of being "enveloped" in. Granted, it's quite a bit cheaper - but it's still pretty expensive for replica that's not comfortable.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have one from Barcelona Designs (same as MHD, since the box it came in read Manhattan Home Design) - and found it to be disappointing.  It's nice to look at as a display piece, but having sat in a Herman Miller Eames before, it's just not as comfortable. The cushions are too stiff, and the angles don't seem right - and you just don't get the feeling of being "enveloped" in. Granted, it's quite a bit cheaper - but it's still pretty expensive for replica that's not comfortable.

Guy has only two posts and they both shill for the company... Just saying.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
A few of these repo companies have reputations for shilling on various forums and blogs. Regardless of the products true qualities or virtues, I would stay suspicious of random glowing reviews you may read online.

EDIT: Regarding IFN, I appreciate the fact that they are willing to give you close ups of various details like the chrome work and seams. Non of it looks as nice as you would get with the authentic items but at least they are not hiding this. Giving you a better idea of what your money is getting you.

http://www.ifn-modern.com/seating/lounge-chairs/wing-style-chair-ottoman.html

Thanks for the points here. Exactly what I had in mind. If every post is just praising one company, makes me think its not legit.

The IFN looks pretty good, in truth. $1500 isn't cheap, but for that chair is seems like a very reasonable price. My main concern is that if the chair ends up sucking upon arrival, i'll have to fight tooth and nail to try and get my money back, according to some reviews from yelp. Also, I spoke with someone there, and they told me that they're getting out of the repro business.

edit: I think I should add that i'm being fairly reasonable, and just expecting a good looking, comfy chair, that's 85%+ of the way to a real deal, and that will last me 5-10 years, after which i'll likely try and replace with an authentic one.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads