1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by musicguy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Beijing Chang "All fake evevything"

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Just search for Bianco Brioni on Amazon, for kirf suits.

3. Intrepident

Intrepident New Member

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  4. Intrepident

Intrepident New Member

Edit...I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread BEFORE it got over-run with nonsensical discussions that help no one in making an informed decision about buying the real Herman Miller Eames or a reproduction.

I bought the Herman Miller and don't regret it at all. Went Black MCL leather and got a screaming deal. The comfort and quality of the Herman Miller is indescribable. I personally do not want to trick anyone (including myself) into believing that a replica is the same as the original. While not truly proprietary from a patent standpoint, the secret formula Herman Miller uses to build this chair is not able to be copied.

If you cannot afford the original, save your $1,000 and keep saving until you can get the original.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

6. ES670

ES670 Active Member

So anything from Brittany about her purchase? I'm curious to know.

7. Brittany Paris

Brittany Paris Senior member

[​IMG] Yes, I do have an update. Rove Concepts had an annoying delay in sending me the chair, so it ended up being shipped while I was on vacation. My husband was able to sign for it instead of the apartment office, thank goodness. The box wouldn't fit in the front door! I will be back from vaca on Sunday so it will be opened then. I made my hubs take a pic of the box. Lol. Anyway, I will post a pic of it put together when it's all settled in my living room.

8. ES670

ES670 Active Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Here's my experience with a knock off. I got interested in the Eames Lounge Chair but was deterred by the price tag, so I started looking at the knock offs. I actually thought they looked pretty close to the original, at least based on the online pictures. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one from somaclassics.com. Talked to someone named, Matt (coincident?), and found him helpful with the order. Chair arrived a week late; no big deal. Upon inspection, I noticed a few issues. One was there was a staple sticking out of the inside of the plywood below the arm rest. Another issue was a piece of split plywood on the seat pan. To make a long story short. I had to return the chair 4 times. No, it wasn't a typo. 4 times. Still each and every chair I received some some issues here and there. One had a scratched up ottoman. Another two had screws sticking out of the inside of the plywood where the originals put the shocks units. In the end, I asked for a refund. I'm sure they lost money with altogether 8 rounds of shipping a 100lb chair from the east coast to the west coast.
    I'm by no means trying to scare you. In fact, I'm thankful for that experience because it allowed me to appreciate the original Eames Lounge Chair that much more. Anyway, that's another story which I'd be happy to share on the future. What I'm thinking is if you're happy with your chair, great. If not, get a refund and like someone else said save up until you can get an original. Please keep us posted. I really enjoyed reading your posts!!

9. odee911

odee911 Member

Wow I just checked out soma classics, and just looking at the pictures you can tell this is a very bad reproduction. Sorry for the hassle you had, I have seen those pictures before from somaclassics from another website, a retailer use to sell this exact chair here in Vancouver and also another site called Kardiel. This is definitely a mass reproduced chair when someone can afford to ship it to you 4 times plus free shipping... that is a huge red flag for me. I have read the leather on this chair peels off over time and they don't use the proper shock mounts thus not having that flex when you lean back.

I think the best thing anyone can do is request swatches from a few retailers and at least compare first hand what leather will be used on the chair.

I am extremely happy with my chair at Rove, I have finally finish reading this thread. Good to see some other positive Rove feedbacks on here.

I wanted to note though they have made revisions to their chair 1 month ago and the price has gone up. The new chair now has the correct Herman Miller angle. They have also added more down/dacron over the pu foam. I actually called in and will be having mine swapped out next week.

I was just in their show room the other day and they showed me all the new features! Before this they actually took me to EQ3 ( herman miller dealer ) about 4 blocks down the road. They got me to sit on the chair to get a good feel of how it sits and the flex that makes this chair so comfortable! They then showed me how to detached the top cushion and pointed out how it was attached. I also made note that the Herman Miller shell is not finished on the inside. You can actually see the plywood near the arm area...just a small detail.

We went back to the Rove showroom after I sat on the chair some more, just to make sure I remember the feeling. At the Rove showroom first thing I did was used the same method to detached the top cushion, I was impressed how easy it was and the method and hooks /parts were just the same as the original I just sat on. ( cheaper replicas will glue, velcro or nail the cushion onto the shell, being able to attach and reattach means you can easily replace certain parts years down ). Also to note the inside shell was fully veneer with the Rove chair which was a nice touch.

After reattaching the top cushion I threw myself right onto the chair. First impressions were, WOW the down/dacron they added to the top layer was very apparent. It was soft and I sank into the chair nicely, at the same motion I effortlessly flexed the chair back when I got into the sweet spot. This was exactly the same feeling I had just at EQ3 sitting on the original, except the leather was much softer on the Rove chair. They told me this is because the base model for the Eames is in fact not an aniline leather ( aniline option is another $1000 option ).

They told me the all important rubber shock mount piece they use is exactly the same as the original and lots of the cheaper replicas are built with many incorrect parts and are built for looks and not comfort.

I really urge anyone in the Vancouver area to do exactly what I did, check out the original at EQ3 then pop by their showroom and get the full experience yourself. I feel like I've learned so much about this chair through all this and have a greater appreciation on how it is constructed.

I will be receiving the new chair next week and will be taking tons of pictures from how the box arrived to unpacking to the chair itself and all the features I pointed out. Hope this was informative for everyone!

Cheers
    Ozzy

1 person likes this.
  10. ES670

ES670 Active Member

It's nice to hear that people have had positive experience buying reproductions of the Eames Lounge Chair. Certainly not my case. Sounds like Rove Concept is very spot on in terms if making every specification close to the original which makes me question why Herman Miller hasn't taken legal action against them. Not that I want them to get in trouble but I think Herman Miller has done that to a company that made Eames Lounge Chairs that were almost indistinguishable from the original. Anyway, original or repro, what matters most is comfort.

1 person likes this.
  11. skeetybug

skeetybug Member

These companies are bullies!! Now they are using the "trade dress codes" to sue all others out of existence. I am sure if you give them part of the profits, it will be fine and dandy!! I am sure that's how room and board got away selling the fake Saarinen table and the fake Barcelona chairs they called "Seville". So it is the "licensed copies" that make other snobs here happy? Gus modern; a reputable company sells a similar chair to the eames plywood lounge chair so I guess HM will go after them soon. So anything that remotely has a similar design will deem a counterfeit hence they shall all be squashed like a bug? Recently my 60 year old neighbor invented a self propelled electric generator. I told him someone already has a patent on a dimilar design and he said it is best he shall not pursue the project because some day the patent holders will go after him!! That's what patent does to innovation!!

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

WTF are talking about, owning the patent for a 60 year old design stops the innovation for the counterfeiters, if they wanted innovation, they would design their own stuff instead of piggy bagging on someone else's work.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

a thread basically becomes useless when a handful of different posters with 10 or fewer posts come in and start preaching

14. ES670

ES670 Active Member

It's unbelievable how close-minded some people here are. I can't say I agree with everything that Skeetybug said, but isn't that the reason why we have a forum here, to see other people's opinions? " The name of the thread is "Eames Lounge Chair copies, worth it?" Obviously this is a thread about copies of the Eames Lounge Chair and if you absolutely cannot stand the idea of people buying copies, you just don't belong here. And if you're here and imposing your ideas on others, who's the one preaching? You're entitled to your opinions and you are free to express them, but when you start attacking other people's morals and name calling, that just becomes really out of line. Have you ever jaywalked? If yes, should you be crucified? We're talking about people spending their hard earned money on things that they enjoy!! Again, opinions are opinions and I think as long as they're expressed in a civil manner, anything is fine, but no, some people here just need to give that holier than thou attitude and insist that their shit don't stink.

Back to the discussion about the chair. Since my terrible experience of trying to get a repro, I've learned a great deal about the Eames Lounge Chair and have been fortunate enough to get an original set. When hearing ozzy rave about their repro, I have to say I was hesitant to believe how close it was to the original. I'm in the US, and would love to check out one of those stores just to see the difference. But really, in the end, if people are happy with their purchase, CONGRATZZ and you did NOT commit a crime!

1 person likes this.
  15. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Till you realize that tzhe ten or fewer are all related, This thread is nothing more than stealth spam. Screw the counterfeiters, I´ve just sent this thread link over to the legal department at Herman Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 people like this.
  16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Are we reading the same thing, what he wrote makes next to no sense.

17. Brittany Paris

It's a conspiracy. Darn it, you found us out. We're all related. WOW. And also, LMBO that you're sending the thread to Herman Miller. THEY DON'T CARE. They can't/won't do anything about eames lounge chair copies. They also won't do anything about this thread.

18. Brittany Paris

ES670, preach it!!! VERY well said. You took the words right out of my mouth. :) Don't be discouraged by the idiots on this thread.

And I haven't opened the chair yet, it's in storage but I did just get back from vacation. I'm dying to just go over and open it but we are in the process of moving so it will be probably the last week of June that everything will be settled so I can finally dig in to it. Lots of stuff going on this month.

19. ES670

ES670 Active Member

Brittany, I don't know how you can sit through the antsy feeling and wait until late June to open it! Here's just my 2 cents: at least check for damage because the company may not be able to do much for you if you tell them there's damage a month after it's delivered. Btw, I appreciate your feedback. There're always bitter people in the world that are so quick to criticize.

20. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Where is that big red buzzer button when you need it.

You still haven't read up on the current legislation and what is happening to stop counterfeiting and you still haven't seen your chair so in reality it could be a big box of lemons for all we know.

You also makes it painfully clear that you have a job where you don't create stuff, as you clearly have no clue about the work it entails.

To all of you who love of repro's, I can inform you that one of the industries in the world with the biggest counterfeiting issues is aviation, so the next time you sit on the runway in a 747 look around and think do I trust bolts I don't know where have been made nor have been FAA approved. ( and yes planes have crashed and people have died due to it).

Last edited: May 29, 2013