• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or one sofa that will last longer than yourself.
I'm sure if one looked hard enough, a couch of reasonable quality could be found for $2500-$3000. I'm not looking to build the pyramids, just want something comfortable, attractive, and durable. Not all on SF are lawyers, accountants, or trust fund kids- cost of living in my town is also rather high.

chronoguy

Reaction score

Taking 6 months to replace an item with an inferior version is not good customer service, under any circumstance.

I agree.

I bought two Herman Miller Eames LCW last year and they were in storage when it got delivered. I was re-doing my house and when it was delivered, I had them in boxes put in my garage.
Two months later, I opened them and one of the foot had dime size nick.

I called the retailer (who I won't mention but they just got bought out by Herman Miller) replaced it in 3 days, no questions asked.

Fact is, it was damaged in shipping but I had it in my possession so long anyone could have said I damaged them myself and just wanted a replacement. Herman Miller had no obligation to replace them but they did.

At work we have some Herman Miller office chairs with unknown origin; meaning we don't know how or when we got them. Some had broken parts. We called HM and they sent us arm rests no charge because apparently those chairs had 12 year warranties yet we had no proof of purchase or documentation.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about this Illum Wikkelsø

love this chair. Where to kop? seems to be sold out on the website, but hte website doesn't seem to be a store.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, since we're talking other chairs: does anyone know where I can get some of these?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What can I get for like 2 thousand dollars worth of sofa?

I hate my current couch (wish I had reupholstered my 60s daybed-ish couch instead of buying this stupid sectional) but I'm not quite ready to go much more than that. Especially since replacing the L of the sectional (and I never actually use the L) means I'm also in the market for about $1000 worth of lounge chair.

I've been surfing Craig's list a bit for something in the "buy cheap and reupholster" category but the only good stuff I see is too far out there... Sofas with integrated end tables, pieces that got a little too experimental, etc. Maybe I need to find some auctions?

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, since we're talking other chairs: does anyone know where I can get some of these?

1st one looks like a copy of the Brno chair in round tube by Mies Van Der Rohe.

2nd one looks like a Cesca chair produced by Thonet and designed by Marcel Breuer....this is pre-Knoll.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score

Taking 6 months to replace an item with an inferior version is not good customer service, under any circumstance.

Actually, it was impossible for them to get me the same leather as what I had before, since they had decided last year to go with a different supplier that had inferior leather. If they could have gotten me matching leather, I really think they would have. They didn't have to send me a new cushion, they could have just covered the cost to fix the button. So, it's really a toss up. They meant well, and Melanie was extremely friendly throughout. They really wanted to provide me with customer satisfaction, I mean they sent me two different cushions with free shipping for one broken button. So, it was good and bad.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not all on SF are lawyers, accountants, or trust fund kids- cost of living in my town is also rather high.

I'm neither and I live in one of place with the highest cost of living in the world.

In the world of furniture 2k isn't a lot.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score

I agree.

I bought two Herman Miller Eames LCW last year and they were in storage when it got delivered. I was re-doing my house and when it was delivered, I had them in boxes put in my garage.
Two months later, I opened them and one of the foot had dime size nick.

I called the retailer (who I won't mention but they just got bought out by Herman Miller) replaced it in 3 days, no questions asked.

Fact is, it was damaged in shipping but I had it in my possession so long anyone could have said I damaged them myself and just wanted a replacement. Herman Miller had no obligation to replace them but they did.

At work we have some Herman Miller office chairs with unknown origin; meaning we don't know how or when we got them. Some had broken parts. We called HM and they sent us arm rests no charge because apparently those chairs had 12 year warranties yet we had no proof of purchase or documentation.

That is awesome. And somewhat rare. Hopefully I'll have the same luck if something goes wrong with my SAYL chair. Also, it may have something to do with the mood of the customer service rep you talk to.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm neither and I live in one of place with the highest cost of living in the world.

In the world of furniture 2k isn't a lot.

Absolutely- I mean it certainly helps if it's got some designers or producers name attached but I have no need to impress anyone with stuff like that. Baby is due in November so the sofas will probably be something that can be puked on, spilled on, etc. There's a Knoll lookalike at eq3 (Canadian) that I've sat on a few times but the cushions don't come off. I'm apprehensive about ikea sofas but there's one that has the look I'm going for and the leather version is only like $1000. I think I'd rather have cheap sofas, let kids climb over them and spend the money a few years down the road... I don't know. I'm just not sure even having sofas would be living honestly. Might just stack the kids on the floor.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the deal with DWR's self-branded pieces?

I've seen some pretty good deals (in terms of % off the list price) on things like their Bantam sofa show up in their oulet...Is that going to be along the lines of Room and Board's house-branded stuff, or does it achieve a higher level of quality?

chronoguy

Reaction score

Actually, it was impossible for them to get me the same leather as what I had before, since they had decided last year to go with a different supplier that had inferior leather. If they could have gotten me matching leather, I really think they would have. They didn't have to send me a new cushion, they could have just covered the cost to fix the button. So, it's really a toss up. They meant well, and Melanie was extremely friendly throughout. They really wanted to provide me with customer satisfaction, I mean they sent me two different cushions with free shipping for one broken button. So, it was good and bad.

A looooong time ago, when I first started. I was debating about getting knock-offs myself. Specifically, the Eames molded dowel chairs in white (DSW). They for $399 each (white and maple legs).
I saw some knock-offs at various places. Some for $149, Some for $129. They all looked different.
I contemplated getting 4 chairs but then realized if I later decided to add more chairs (as my family grew), there was zero possibility of getting a matching chair because the knock-offs would come from different factories. They would have different shades of colors and the leg's spacing would not be consistent. I've seen this happen with other people. They'd get the red shell chair (and as we know, the real eames are not 100% red but more orange) and I'd see mis-matches all over the place.

That is when we I realized I would stick to the originals. After getting 4 chairs, I got 2 more in white months later. I then got 6 other chairs in different colors to spread around the house. The point I am making, I didn't have to go through the risk of not getting something that match down the line.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Absolutely- I mean it certainly helps if it's got some designers or producers name attached but I have no need to impress anyone with stuff like that. Baby is due in November so the sofas will probably be something that can be puked on, spilled on, etc. There's a Knoll lookalike at eq3 (Canadian) that I've sat on a few times but the cushions don't come off. I'm apprehensive about ikea sofas but there's one that has the look I'm going for and the leather version is only like $1000. I think I'd rather have cheap sofas, let kids climb over them and spend the money a few years down the road... I don't know. I'm just not sure even having sofas would be living honestly. Might just stack the kids on the floor.

Everyone has a budget, I certainly don't fault you for not breaking the bank for stuff that you feel will get abused for a few years.

There are pieces out there that are a named slapped on junk, but wegner isn't one of them. It's more John Lobb than Prada, so to speak.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm.

Recognized design, from original manufacturer, range of finishes available, $2500.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score

I'm with you on that one. I have a cat and a kitten and for some reason, they are fascinated with my fake eames lounger. It's like their playground. Which means small scratch marks on my beautiful leather. Super bummer. It almost makes me upset that I spent a little over a grand on it. But it also makes me realize that I shouldn't have expensive leather... anything. I have two little ones as well, so for 16 more years I probably should just save up for when I'm an empty nester.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads