• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its more like 50%, but they have to pay for shipping etc. within that 50%, I made some calculations recently while waiting outside a new furniture shop with my dog.

4 employees making $8000 before tax (gives them 3,5-4k after tax etc.). 4x8k = $32k

**** I'm glad I'm out of that ****.

Furniture salesmen make $8000 pretax per month?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was about to order one of their Lounger chairs.   But at final check out noticed that the shipping charges were NOT free, despite their website stating that "Guaranteed Damage Free Shipping to US & Canada."  

Melanie: It wasn't our intention to mislead you, as that sentence can be read either way. We do not cover shipping in full, only subsidized.

me: No, that sentence can not be read either way if one is applying correct english grammar.

I really don't see how *anyone* could read the sentence "guaranteed damage free shipping to US and Canada" as stating anything other than that the company guarantees that your furniture will not be damaged during shipment (ie it will be free of damage).

It is clearly not saying that shipping is free. The only way in which it could be read that way, is if the sentence was interpreted to mean that damage is guaranteed, and that shipping is free, which is clearly nonsensical.

Frankly, I'd far rather pay for shipping and have my furniture arrive undamaged.

Suck it up, it's clearly a typo. They have no obligation to offer you free shipping. I hate clients/customers like yourself.

+1 bazillion.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Furniture salesmen make $8000 pretax per month?

Yeah, but they are probably commission based and they have to pay 50%+ in income tax and we have a high cost of living, so it's really not that great.

jpo

Reaction score

Picked this up from overstock.com for about $800. Quality seems good, leather is pretty decent, it's a little firmer than I hoped but I love it and it's very comfortable.

Thanks for posting the pics. I had seen this one myself. Could you tell me about the comfort? All the reviews say "firm" and kinda rate in the middle on comfort. I don't necessarily think soft = comfortable, but I don't want my butt falling asleep either. What are your thoughts on it's comfort?
Thanks in advance !

Hotel Guy

Reaction score

Thanks for posting the pics. I had seen this one myself. Could you tell me about the comfort? All the reviews say "firm" and kinda rate in the middle on comfort. I don't necessarily think soft = comfortable, but I don't want my butt falling asleep either. What are your thoughts on it's comfort?
Thanks in advance !

I guess the proportions are 'off' but I'm not so well versed to notice, but I think the chair looks great. When I said 'kind of firm', I just mean that you don't exactly sink into the chair like the real one. It's still new so I think it may have some more breaking-in to do, but it is definitely comfortable, and by no means too firm. I'm very happy with it.

JPalmer

Reaction score
Been lurking on this thread for awhile, tons of good information and feedback from other posters and in the end i went with Rove Concepts. Took the plunge! I requested swatches like everyone else, got them within a week. I choose bunch of brown tones and the classic white and black, I was pretty impressed wit the swatch package. They included a history on where they source their leather and the information and feel of the different grades as well.

In the end I had to stick with the classic black and the lovely rich rosewood veneer. They had 2 blacks to choose from one of which was more matte and the other shiny. I actually choose the matte one as the one I saw at DWR was matte and it was very nice

I ordered my chair during Christmas time and was told there would be a slight delay due to the holidays but I did receive a nice discount during their sale.

I finally received my chair around March. Enjoy the pictures below!

Here is the chair setup in one of my empty rooms that is undergoing a facelift for my office. At the time of order the Siena Black was a custom order. The configuration I got was the Siena black in the beautiful rich rosewood palisander. There is still some packaging around the back bracket I forgot to take off as I was super excited to sit on it lol.

The tufting and upholstery work is second to none, You can see the deep tufting lines throughout each cushion. I took some detail pictures of the underside veneer near the arms as well. Excuse the wrapping from the back brackets, I did not fully un package the chair when I took the pictures.

Overall the chair has exceeded my expectations from a replica. The premium that Rove charges makes so much more sense when they produce this chair from their own factories and the leathers are definitely above and beyond the other stores.

Lastly the chair sits and feels amazing. You kind of sink into it with the 15 degree tilt and any excess weight goes into the flex. I would say you get about 1.5 to 2 inches of flex leaning back which is very nice.

All in all it took longer than expected but I did buy during christmas time and they were upfront in lead times. The chair came fully assembled and very well packaged. It came with a set of whiteglove and a care card for warranty and maintenance.

I encourage everyone to do research, request as many swatche as you can and speak with the reps. ( You will be surprised 3-4 stores will send you the same leather, this is basically a red flag and saying they probably just have the same cheap knockoff )

Cheers
Jeff

Last edited:

Hotel Guy

Reaction score

Been lurking on this thread for awhile, tons of good information and feedback from other posters and in the end i went with Rove Concepts. Took the plunge! I requested swatches like everyone else, got them within a week. I choose bunch of brown tones and the classic white and black, I was pretty impressed wit the swatch package. They included a history on where they source their leather and the information and feel of the different grades as well. In the end I had to stick with the classic black and the lovely rich rosewood veneer. They had 2 blacks to choose from one of which was more matte and the other shiny. I actually choose the matte one as the one I saw at DWR was matte and it was very nice I ordered my chair during Christmas time and was told there would be a slight delay due to the holidays but I did receive a nice discount during their sale. I finally received my chair around March. Enjoy the pictures below! [COLOR=333333]Here is the chair setup in one of my empty rooms that is undergoing a facelift for my office. At the time of order the Siena Black was a custom order. The configuration I got was the Siena black in the beautiful rich rosewood palisander. There is still some packaging around the back bracket I forgot to take off as I was super excited to sit on it lol.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] The tufting and upholstery work is second to none, You can see the deep tufting lines throughout each cushion. I took some detail pictures of the underside veneer near the arms as well. Excuse the wrapping from the back brackets, I did not fully un package the chair when I took the pictures. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] Overall the chair has exceeded my expectations from a replica. The premium that Rove charges makes so much more sense when they produce this chair from their own factories and the leathers are definitely above and beyond the other stores. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Lastly the chair sits and feels amazing. You kind of sink into it with the 15 degree tilt and any excess weight goes into the flex. I would say you get about 1.5 to 2 inches of flex leaning back which is very nice. All in all it took longer than expected but I did buy during christmas time and they were upfront in lead times. The chair came fully assembled and very well packaged. It came with a set of whiteglove and a care card for warranty and maintenance.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I encourage everyone to do research, request as many swatche as you can and speak with the reps. ( You will be surprised 3-4 stores will send you the same leather, this is basically a red flag and saying they probably just have the same cheap knockoff )[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Cheers[/COLOR] Jeff
Looks awesome!

Don Draper Sr

Reaction score
Jeff, great post and very helpful.

After reading through this thread, I abandoned my plan to get an Eames Executive chair. I felt I had to choose between a knockoff (MCM, Rove, etc.) and a ripoff (Herman Miller).

The whole thing became so depressing, I gave up and bought a book on Eames design. I feel there are many contemporary furniture choices which are somewhat inspired by Eames. I wound up getting a Steelcase (mid century modern era manufacturer) contemporary Think chair in black leather. It was $1100, and not a knockoff or a ripoff.

I am also have gotten guest chairs for my lobby and office, these from Mayline. I am very happy. I will be adding a conference table from Mayline and art works.

In the end, I'm almost happy not to have gotten the Eames. I feel a bit more original, like I am my own designer.

But I still love the Time Life Eames Executive Chair, and had I felt there were a good option, that would have been my first choice - although I would never buy from Herman Miller. It was tough giving Rove the chance sight unseen and with some of the other reviews on this board.

I do wish Rove the best. Affordable Eames furniture, which was one of Charles Eames goals, is worthy endeavor.

JPalmer

Reaction score
Hey Don,

Thanks,

Very good choice on the steelcase think chair! Actually I am a fan of most of the steelcase products, so very clean and modern very nice lines, I am considering furnishing our office with some of their pieces.

Have a good weekend!

Jeff

Don Draper Sr

Reaction score
Jeff, thanks! Maybe I am on to something after all.

Your post is one of the most helpful in this discussion, if I had been before I made a decision I would have defintely given Rove consideration. The chair looks great!

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm almost 100% sure its the camera(angle) and not the chair that's at fault.

Yeah that TV looks awfully tall in that last picture. :paranoia:

FatCatPhil

Reaction score
Do you guys know where one can find a qualitative "v2" eames lounge chair in Europe?

By v2 I mean the taller Vitra version. Kardiel does them but they won't ship outside of NA. And the only website I have found in EU who does them seem...A bit odd (their customers feedbacks system in particular lacks transparency).

Yes of course there's the Vitra route...But at 8k euros it's really out of budget.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember they are illegal the to sell and in some cases own in Europe.

Get a used large vitra or even better something else, there's a lot of nice chairs out there sub $8k

FatCatPhil

Reaction score
They tend to sell used chairs at the same price here...It really is an elite club.

Selling isn't illegal in the UK, and in my country (France) there actually is a tolerance for such copies as long as you're not a corporation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads