1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by musicguy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

How comfortable is the Eames Lounge Chair for a tall person for an extended time like watching a a football game?

2. NonChalant321

NonChalant321 Senior member

It's not ideal if you're over 5'10".

1 person likes this.
  3. Donna Petch

Donna Petch New Member

Has anyone bought the Eames Lounge chair from Eternity Modern?

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Thank you NonChalant321. :)

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The hm version comes in two sizes vintage and contemporary.

6. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Even the Eames Chairs are no longer worth it. Prices have rocketed and they seem to find enough willing to pay top dollar for what is still a lovely chair but its not the only nice chair.
    I just ordered a Citterio Grand Repos and it actually is more comfortable than the Eames!

7. phototropically

phototropically Active Member

My aunt and uncle were getting rid of a bunch of their furniture, which included a knock-off 670 & 671 replica from roughly 1975. The leather is super dry and stiff, so I'm in the process of reconditioning it. It's one of the types that reclines back, and it's comfortable enough that it'll do for the time from now until I have saved enough to buy a real HM. It was certainly more affordable for me, right now, than buying one of the current Chinese knock-offs, and has only cemented my desire to save for a real Herman Miller 670 and 671.

That said, are people aware that you can buy the replicas off of Alibaba for a fraction of the price as other places? I imagine that's the supply for MCM, Kardiel, Rove etc, and they have built such a high profit margin (200-300%) into their pricing they can easily swallow the cost of freely replacing defective chairs.

1 person likes this.
  8. Knownfactor

Knownfactor New Member

So instead of reading through 36 pages of responses, is there a general conscientious on the best replica? Is Rove the one?

9. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Ist actually only 1 Page. The other 35 are full of one Posters like yourself plugging a particular brand.....thats a knownfactor :nodding:

2 people like this.
  10. Knownfactor

Knownfactor New Member

I don't really care what brand it is, not plugging anything. I've just seen that one mentioned a lot. So instead of trolling and not answering my question...

11. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

The thread is about fakes being worth it and not which fake is best.,those who know reject buying fakes

12. Don Draper Sr

Don Draper Sr Member

The problem is the Herman Miller furniture is outrageous. $4000 grand? No way. I say their cost is $800 and the rest is mark up.

So, if I want to a fair price, then I am looking at a replica. Or, I can get a HON with no personality.

A replica then becomes a valid option.

Is it wrong to buy a replica? That's a stupid idea. Is it wrong to hang a reproduction Da Vinci Madonna up in your kitchen. It has been seventy years. Herman Miller is doing MCM furniture a disservice by charging art museum prices for their furniture.

A valid question for this forum is where to get a good quality replica. If you don't like replicas, then go sit in your original $4000 Herman Miller chair and leave the rest of us alone.

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's your first post, so lol.

Read the thread and you will see why you shouldn't get a replica and get a used or something else instead.

14. Don Draper Sr

Don Draper Sr Member

I read the thread and was not persuaded. I see no problem in a reliable replica.

There are two arguments.

One, you should not get a replica because it is somehow morally wrong or in bad taste. I reject this line of thought.

The second is you should not get a replica because the furniture is poor quality. I reject this because I have read accounts of people who have bought replicas and have thought they were great.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I've heard people who bought Beats By Dre's and Tata's and thought they were great, the only thing that shows is they are idiots.

Either you support the designer and his family or you support another designer, you down support people who steal other peoples work because they can't come up with their own shit.

16. Don Draper Sr

Don Draper Sr Member

Full disclosure. I did recently buy a "replica" Time Life chair, and am not knowledgeable in this area. I saw the chair and liked it.

However, the chair had an obvious and cheap flaw when it arrived. It squeaks when you rock in it. It looks pretty good though.

I don't want to say the company's name because I know they will stand behind the chair and take it back. But I am back on the market and trying to figure out what to do.

This

[​IMG]
    looks better to me than this:

[​IMG]
    Anyone know of a good looking Mid Century Modern looking chair that is good quality that is not an Eames or something and not atrocius like the above? Or just go with a higher quality replica?

Nothing in life is easy. Not even mid century modern.

Thanks!

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Get a used one of the Eames, a lot of start ups buy them and when they go belly up they hit the market again with close to no wear.

Otherwise get a Knoll Pollock.

1 person likes this.
  18. Don Draper Sr

Don Draper Sr Member

What am I looking at for a used Eames? Where to buy, on Ebay?

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I don't know where you live, but craigslist, ebay, auction sites, secondhand dealers.

Around here (Europe) they go for $1-2000 depending on model.

20. just a fool

just a fool New Member

So, after reading through 35 pages of back and forth on dames chair replica, it sound alike if you are going to buy a copy, Rove seems to have the best quality with a few comments on MCM and MHD coming in a close second. I am thinking of getting a white leather one for my wife who has wanted, but can't afford an original, for her birthday in five weeks. Unless someone has any advice, within the realm of approving of getting a copy, on some other manufacturer, then I am going to order from them. Any suggestions that I have not overlooked? Thank you very much