• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

chronoguy

Reaction score
Here is his picture of his fake hang it all (two of them he/she has)

Here is the fake one on amazon. same colors:

http://www.amazon.com/MODIKIN-Hang-...=1375161815&sr=8-3&keywords=eames+hang+it+all

Notice the big green and orange balls. Real Hang it All doesn't have that. Only the fakes mix up the colors to avoid counterfeit lawsuit. They'll subtley change something here and there.

Real One:
http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-hang-it-all.do?sortby=ourPicks

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is his picture of his fake hang it all (two of them he/she has)

Here is the fake one on amazon. same colors:

http://www.amazon.com/MODIKIN-Hang-...=1375161815&sr=8-3&keywords=eames+hang+it+all

Notice the big green and orange balls. Real Hang it All doesn't have that. Only the fakes mix up the colors to avoid counterfeit lawsuit. They'll subtley change something here and there.

Real One:
http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-hang-it-all.do?sortby=ourPicks

$200 is a lot of money for a coat hook hanger....made in Taiwan as well...so no American jobs at stake here.

Would that have been protected by copyright or patents? Because patents do expire, and something from the 1940s, any patents would have long expired and are now public domain.

IANAL there's something I can think of, the Philishave rotary electric razor...

Philips.

Remington(where's Victor Kiam? LOL).

Patents on this have expired, and now any company can make them. But they can't call them Philishave though, because that's a registered trademark.

Same thing with Legos. The patents have expired and now there's many companies legally making interlocking plastic brick toys, which are compatible with Legos. Same with instant picture cameras, etc, the patents have expired on them.

Same thing with lookalike Eames chairs? given that the original patents have long since expired

Last edited:

chronoguy

Reaction score
Yes $200 is a lot of money. I would never pay $200 and I would never pay $80-100 for a fake either.
I happen to have two of them because of major discounts (when you buy a lot, they throw you a bone) and it fits my decor. I happen to have kids, a setup like this and my entire house is color-ful playful eames ( molded chairs in different colors).

When you have a hang-it-all, the nelson bench pictured above, a nelson bubble lamp and a nelson clock in your foyer, it looks pretty dope. Especially for the kids. You need to have the whole enchilada to pull off the look. I use it to hang my Leica cameras.

Even people who do not know who Charles and Ray Eames, enter the house, they instantly get the vibe because it is a look that is pulled off cohesively.

Having two fakes along with a fake lounge chair doesn't work out in the same sense as wearing a bad mismatched outfit. The fake Knoll sofa along with the cowhide rug over rug just doesn't cut it either. It screams poser to me.

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chronoguy, you should decorate for :foo:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

American job market? - maybe if you work for Boeing or General Dynamics or have a white collar job or something? Most consumer items are imported from third-world cheap labour countries, whether expensive or cheap....ahem Apple, Ralph Lauren, Nike, Disney, etc. Do they still make cars in the USA? - thinking of Detroit here. I know first hand about the British car industry, a close friend of mine used to work for MG, which is now a brand of Shanghai Auto(SAIC)...and he had to go and find another job. Same with the job market in the EU, like the UK, my own country....I didn't really fancy filling shelves in a supermarket.

Even my father in the UK was talking about it when I went to see him last month. He said "Everything I buy seems to be made in China, I'm not surprised you went there to find work."

Yes they still do, also BMW X cars and Merc R, ML and GL etc. are made in the US.

A large Danish supermarket chain just moved payroll etc. to India, so the whole financial dept. lost their jobs and were forced to train the Indian's they shipped up for training, thats just one of many examples, so no one is safe and it's a huge problem, if you ask me.

twistoffat

Reaction score

Yes they still do, also BMW X cars and Merc R, ML and GL etc. are made in the US.

A large Danish supermarket chain just moved payroll etc. to India, so the whole financial dept. lost their jobs and were forced to train the Indian's they shipped up for training, thats just one of many examples, so no one is safe and it's a huge problem, if you ask me.

I know several companies that moved their finance departments to India and are currently moving them or have moved them back.
The reason for moving them in the first place was cost. The reason for moving them back was "Quality". Finance requires local knowledge of statutory and accounting regulations which I can only confirm from my own experience the Indians are lacking.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
Chronoguy, you're right. Those are fake and I'm actually contemplating getting a real hang-it-all but thank you for pointing that out. :) It still doesn't mean that my life revolves around reproductions though. I'm not in any way done collecting but I'm off to a good start. Since we're sharing my photos, here are a few of the things I have acquired in the last year that are legit:
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
They are mostly made in Denmark, excluding the Brasilia headboard, so they aren't made by anyone famous, but they aren't reproductions.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of us gathered that I assume. Your place looks pretty good, stick with the vintage peices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads