• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eagles sign Vick

thetieguy

Reaction score
* In 2007, conflicting statements were made by his estranged parents about possible dogfighting activities in 2001. Michael Boddie, his father, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that around 2001, Michael Vick was staging dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News and kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones which the father nursed back to health. Boddie said his son had been urged to not engage in the activity, but continued. He stated: "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it."[31] Within days, Michael Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, told the Newport News Daily Press "There was no dogfighting [at our home]. There were no cages."[32]
* In early 2004, two men were arrested in Virginia for distributing marijuana. The truck they were driving was registered to Michael Vick. Falcons coach Dan Reeves recalled that he lectured Vick at that time on the importance of reputation, on choosing the right friends, and on staying out of trouble for the good of his team. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution quoted Reeves as having told Vick: "You are an Atlanta Falcon...Whatever you do is going to be a reflection on all of us, not just you."[33]
* On October 10, 2004, Vick and the other members of his party, including employee Quanis Phillips, were at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport on their way to board an AirTran flight. While they were passing through a security checkpoint with Vick, a security camera caught Phillips and Todd Harris picking up an expensive-appearing watch (either a Rolex or a fake) which belonged to Alvin Spencer, a security screener.[34] After watching the theft on a video tape, Spencer filed a police report. However, he claimed that Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, known as the Falcons' "fixer", interfered with the investigation.[33] Although Vick representatives declined to make him available for an Atlanta police inquiry, six days later Spencer did get the watch back from them, according to the Washington Post.[34]
* In March 2005, Sonya Elliott filed a civil lawsuit against Vick alleging she contracted genital herpes from him in the autumn of 2002, and that he failed to inform her that he had the disease.[35] Elliot further alleged that Vick had visited clinics under the alias "Ron Mexico" to get treatments and thus knew of his condition. On April 24, 2006, Vick's attorney, Lawrence Woodward, revealed that the lawsuit had been settled out of court under undisclosed terms.[36] Many fans bought custom jerseys from NFL.com with Vick's number 7 and the name "MEXICO" on the back, as a reference to his lawsuit. The NFL has since banned customizing jerseys with the name Mexico.[37]
* November 26, 2006 - After a Falcons loss to the New Orleans Saints in the Georgia Dome, in apparent reaction to fans booing, Vick made an obscene gesture at fans, holding up two middle fingers. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and agreed to donate another $10,000 to charity.[38]
* January 17, 2007 - Vick surrendered a water bottle which had a hidden compartment to security personnel at Miami International Airport. "The compartment was hidden by the bottle's label so that it appeared to be a full bottle of water when held upright," police said. Test results indicated there were no illegal substances in the water bottle and Vick was cleared of any wrongdoing.[39] Vick announced that the water bottle was a jewelry stash box, and that the substance in question had been jewelry.[40]
* On Tuesday, April 24, 2007, Michael Vick was scheduled to lobby on Capitol Hill, hoping to persuade lawmakers to increase funding for after-school programs. However, Vick missed a connecting flight in Atlanta on Monday to Reagan National Airport in Arlington, Virginia. He later failed to show-up for another seat booked for him later that evening. On Tuesday morning, he did not attend his scheduled appearance at the congressional breakfast where he also was to be honored for his foundation's work with after-school projects in Georgia and Virginia.[41] Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, accepted an award from the Afterschool Alliance on her son's behalf.

I am sure I would still have a job if I did all this stuff. He has had his chances. **** him!!!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imissopenlayups
honestly, i think they're on his ass so hard, because he's black

Dude does all of the stuff in the quote below, spends almost two years in a federal penitentiary, and winds up signed to a $1.6 million dollar contract within months of his release, and you think he's being picked on because he's black?

Vick is being picked on because he: A) Killed a bunch of animals people like to keep as pets, and B) was completely unrepentant about it. If the NFL and media are so interested in bagging on black players, where are the similar attacks on Donte Stallworth? After all, he killed a human being.

Originally Posted by thetieguy
* In 2007, conflicting statements were made by his estranged parents about possible dogfighting activities in 2001. Michael Boddie, his father, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that around 2001, Michael Vick was staging dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News and kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones which the father nursed back to health. Boddie said his son had been urged to not engage in the activity, but continued. He stated: "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it."[31] Within days, Michael Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, told the Newport News Daily Press "There was no dogfighting [at our home]. There were no cages."[32]
* In early 2004, two men were arrested in Virginia for distributing marijuana. The truck they were driving was registered to Michael Vick. Falcons coach Dan Reeves recalled that he lectured Vick at that time on the importance of reputation, on choosing the right friends, and on staying out of trouble for the good of his team. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution quoted Reeves as having told Vick: "You are an Atlanta Falcon...Whatever you do is going to be a reflection on all of us, not just you."[33]
* On October 10, 2004, Vick and the other members of his party, including employee Quanis Phillips, were at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport on their way to board an AirTran flight. While they were passing through a security checkpoint with Vick, a security camera caught Phillips and Todd Harris picking up an expensive-appearing watch (either a Rolex or a fake) which belonged to Alvin Spencer, a security screener.[34] After watching the theft on a video tape, Spencer filed a police report. However, he claimed that Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, known as the Falcons' "fixer", interfered with the investigation.[33] Although Vick representatives declined to make him available for an Atlanta police inquiry, six days later Spencer did get the watch back from them, according to the Washington Post.[34]
* In March 2005, Sonya Elliott filed a civil lawsuit against Vick alleging she contracted genital herpes from him in the autumn of 2002, and that he failed to inform her that he had the disease.[35] Elliot further alleged that Vick had visited clinics under the alias "Ron Mexico" to get treatments and thus knew of his condition. On April 24, 2006, Vick's attorney, Lawrence Woodward, revealed that the lawsuit had been settled out of court under undisclosed terms.[36] Many fans bought custom jerseys from NFL.com with Vick's number 7 and the name "MEXICO" on the back, as a reference to his lawsuit. The NFL has since banned customizing jerseys with the name Mexico.[37]
* November 26, 2006 - After a Falcons loss to the New Orleans Saints in the Georgia Dome, in apparent reaction to fans booing, Vick made an obscene gesture at fans, holding up two middle fingers. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and agreed to donate another $10,000 to charity.[38]
* January 17, 2007 - Vick surrendered a water bottle which had a hidden compartment to security personnel at Miami International Airport. "The compartment was hidden by the bottle's label so that it appeared to be a full bottle of water when held upright," police said. Test results indicated there were no illegal substances in the water bottle and Vick was cleared of any wrongdoing.[39] Vick announced that the water bottle was a jewelry stash box, and that the substance in question had been jewelry.[40]
* On Tuesday, April 24, 2007, Michael Vick was scheduled to lobby on Capitol Hill, hoping to persuade lawmakers to increase funding for after-school programs. However, Vick missed a connecting flight in Atlanta on Monday to Reagan National Airport in Arlington, Virginia. He later failed to show-up for another seat booked for him later that evening. On Tuesday morning, he did not attend his scheduled appearance at the congressional breakfast where he also was to be honored for his foundation's work with after-school projects in Georgia and Virginia.[41] Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, accepted an award from the Afterschool Alliance on her son's behalf.

I am sure I would still have a job if I did all this stuff. He has had his chances. **** him!!!

imissopenlayups

Reaction score
im just trying to say the media tends to blows it up. (terrel owens, randy moss, plaxico burress)

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the things in that list weren't even that bad. Let me paraphrase:

*Dogfighting - the one he went to jail for
*Dealing weed - alright, bad.
*His employee stole something.
*Gave a woman herpes
*Give someone the finger.
*Wanted to get his weed through customs.
*Did not show up to meeting.

Dealing weed is bad, but everything else is pretty trivial.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
dogfighting is ******* disgusting and if you disagree something is wrong with you

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imissopenlayups
im just trying to say the media tends to blows it up. (terrel owens, randy moss, plaxico burress)

That's true. I mean, it's not like the media picks on white players. I haven't seen a single pundit today making fun of Brett Favre. Not one.

Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Most of the things in that list weren't even that bad. Let me paraphrase:

*Dogfighting - the one he went to jail for
*Dealing weed - alright, bad.
*His employee stole something.
*Gave a woman herpes
*Give someone the finger.
*Wanted to get his weed through customs.
*Did not show up to meeting.

Dealing weed is bad, but everything else is pretty trivial.

I agree that a lot of it is trivial (though I don't agree that dealing weed was the worst thing he did), but things start to add up. I also think the punishment he endured for the dogfighting thing was a little much, but I don't think it's because he's black. Like I said above, I think it's because dogs are cute, and he lied/didn't show any remorse until it was too late. Whether being attacked for those two things is unfair is certainly debatable, but I just don't think he was attacked over race.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
dogfighting is ******* disgusting and if you disagree something is wrong with you

I think dogs are disgusting. Ill put one down tonight just for you big boy. Meow.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dogfighting is ******* disgusting and ....
...brutally killing them makes it even worse.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, no harm in a nice gentlemanly roll. The dogs just love it!

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I didn't intend to make a moral statement. I said earlier in the thread that I think he should be allowed back, so I don't object to the NFL making a buck on the guy. That said, it is kind of amusing to me that they're not willing to let him on the field in the same jerseys they're willing to sell. It kind of looks like the NFL Commish is talking out of both sides of his mouth when he talks about cleaning up the league at the same time he's earning merchandising dollars from a guy he won't let play.
And excuse me if it seems I'm singling you out. My response was in part to the earlier vitriol to his being allowed to play. +1 on the Commish double-talk. I'm curious if NFL Properties (which I believe is a separate entity from the NFL) ever stopped selling the Atlanta Vick jersey because it should or because demand dried up, assuming that demand ceased.

thetieguy

Reaction score
I think Donte should be in jail for years for what he did. Maybe we should hang and torture Vick like he did to those dogs. He is an animal. **** him.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what is you opinion of chicken fighting? as it is legal in the us

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads