• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E92 Bmw M3

micbain

Reaction score
Thoughts on this car? Any current owners out there? I know it has the 4.0L V8 and is heavier but I've heard nothing but glowing reviews. The E46 was the better looking car but buying a new car with 4yrs warranty and free servicing is nice as well.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some problems with the '08s have been reported. Not sure how much it matters since the car is fully under warranty.

I find the base wheels (the gray colored 18s) to be hideous and feel that they make the car look quite ugly. The optional 19s are a revelation and make the car look much better. Not sure WTF BMW was thinking with the base wheels.

I think the car is better looking than the E46, especially in red. I am actually considering the hardtop convertible version, an '08 in Graphite Silver on Silver. Extremely good looking car, and I've only owned coupes thus far.

bkk

Reaction score
The 08s were just recalled for the SMG *******. That'll teach people to not buy manual!

From a looks standpoint, I would stick with the coupe. I absolutely hate the look of the E92 sedans.

micbain

Reaction score
I agree with the gray 18's - they are horrible but maybe its a ploy to get everyone to pay out and upgrade to the 19's.

The new DCT system seems a little flakey already and I'm wondering if its going to be another SMG which breaks down and costs you half your mortgage to fix.
frown.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
I agree with the gray 18's - they are horrible but maybe its a ploy to get everyone to pay out and upgrade to the 19's.

The new DCT system seems a little flakey already and I'm wondering if its going to be another SMG which breaks down and costs you half your mortgage to fix.
frown.gif

Actually, the DCT is more likely to have problems and break due to the 2 clutch system. My SMG has been trouble free with over 140k miles and monthly tracking. My friend is an auto journalist and she had the pleasure to drive the new M3 at a press event at Laguna Seca almost a year ago. She said the car is definitely not a looker, especially in white which shows off all the odd lines, body panel breaks, and giant hood bump, but it's a great luxury sports car on the road -- very refined, but can get aggressive when pushed. She also said that's the bad part about it, that it's too refined for the road to be an M car. At the track, after back-to-back sessions with numerous journalists, the brakes were suffering big time, maybe because of the weight and those single piston brakes. She said the marketing guys there were trying to push the 135 coupe as the car picking up the more raw edge BMW M cars are known for.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the E90 M3 (the 4-door) looks better than the coupe, and is the one I'd get if I were in the market, though I think the strut styling on the mirrors on either car is sadly cheesy. I'd wait for the 09 model year, because the iDrive and telematics get a nice upgrade.

Both cars are also very porky, and I would not touch the DCT with a 10-foot pole. It has a lot of problems.

--Andre

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Actually, the DCT is more likely to have problems and break due to the 2 clutch system. My SMG has been trouble free with over 140k miles and monthly tracking. My friend is an auto journalist and she had the pleasure to drive the new M3 at a press event at Laguna Seca almost a year ago. She said the car is definitely not a looker, especially in white which shows off all the odd lines, body panel breaks, and giant hood bump, but it's a great luxury sports car on the road -- very refined, but can get aggressive when pushed. She also said that's the bad part about it, that it's too refined for the road to be an M car. At the track, after back-to-back sessions with numerous journalists, the brakes were suffering big time, maybe because of the weight and those single piston brakes. She said the marketing guys there were trying to push the 135 coupe as the car picking up the more raw edge BMW M cars are known for.

Interesting - surfing bmw forums it seems like the SMG has a lot of problems with it. Maybe its a case of a very vocal minority. I'd actually prefer the SMG or DCT as it seems more practical on a daily basis and also have better performance numbers.

I'd love to see some hard stats on % of SMG cars which have problems.

I've also heard bad things about the brakes on the E92. I know the C63 has brembo brakes but that car looks like a horses ass. How are the brakes on the E46?

bingusa

Reaction score
Thoughts on this car? Any current owners out there? I know it has the 4.0L V8 and is heavier but I've heard nothing but glowing reviews. The E46 was the better looking car but buying a new car with 4yrs warranty and free servicing is nice as well.

You might find more info at Bimmerfest than SF.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bingusa
Is not MA a 2-license plates state - both front and back?
smile.gif

Yes.

I'm a scofflaw...I refuse to mar the front with a front plate. Never had a problem, but that is probably because the People's Republic still has a category of plates that only require the rear.

Compounding my sins is that the front bumper cover is the European and not the North American version...no side reflectors, another thing that bothered me aesthetically.

- B

bingusa

Reaction score
Yah, I find specific car forums to get very fan boy over their own cars.

IMHO most forums are fan boy clubs, nevertheless, useful info can be mined via your filter.

Sorry detouring your thread - for a similar amount of $, have you given thought to the GT-R?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads