• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E. Marinella shop in London

lovelux2010

Reaction score
does anyone know if the drakes and/or marinella London stores will do made to measure ties?

i'm also keen to get some from the Capelli from the ASW store but would like to have at least one proper lenght tie before i get a MTO one

fox81

Reaction score
I imagine drakes almost certainly will, and marinella will as well.

peckham and rye near carnaby street will do you bespoke, no minimum order for about half the price of drakes

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
I imagine drakes almost certainly will, and marinella will as well.

peckham and rye near carnaby street will do you bespoke, no minimum order for about half the price of drakes

i have some PS's from peckham and rye..havent looked at their ties but i love the drake/marinella/capelli ties...would rather just have a few of them than lots of lesser quality
smile.gif

blackdice

Reaction score
From Drake's website. I also saw a small selection of fabrics for bespoke ties when I visited their shop yesterday. --- Bespoke and Custom Made Tie Service In the Spirit of Savile Row Bespoke In the spirit of Savile Row bespoke tailoring, Drake's is proud to offer superbly handcrafted neckwear to your personal order. Each of the tie lengths offered within our bespoke service has been crafted from individual master patterns graded perfectly to the appropriate length of the tie so that the knot area is neither too wide nor too narrow. Your choice of fabrics from any of our ties currently being shown can be provided to the following specifications: Select from the following lengths (in cms): • 140 and 144cm in 7 or 8cm widths. • 148, 152 and 156cm in 7, 8 or 9cm widths. • 160 and 164cm in 8, 9 or 10cm widths. In the spirit of transparency, please note there is a 1 cm tolerance on either side of the designated measurement for lengths quoted simply because that is as close as hand-craftsmanship can come when working with fine silks. On how to establish your correct length, it’s best to work from a personal tie that is nearest to the length you have in mind. A simple guide would be to measure the tie from the tip of the front blade to the tip of the tail. Then tie the tie using your knot of choice, have someone measure how much longer both the front and tail need to be in order to reach to just above the trouser waistband. Add these measures to the length of the tie and deduct 2cms to allow for fabric stretch; as a rule of thumb, printed fabrics are inclined to stretch more than woven fabrics. Interlining: light, regular, or heavy weight, as a guide, for standard production, our 7cm ties are lined with the lightest weight and all other shapes are lined with regular weight lining. The choice is yours. For our bespoke service we request a minimum of three ties of identical specifications in the same or different fabrics. The cost for custom work is 125 pounds per tie. The turnaround time is 2 – 4 weeks. Contact: [email protected].

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdice
From Drake's website. I also saw a small selection of fabrics for bespoke ties when I visited their shop yesterday.

---
Bespoke and Custom Made Tie Service

In the Spirit of Savile Row Bespoke

In the spirit of Savile Row bespoke tailoring, Drake's is proud to offer superbly handcrafted neckwear to your personal order. Each of the tie lengths offered within our bespoke service has been crafted from individual master patterns graded perfectly to the appropriate length of the tie so that the knot area is neither too wide nor too narrow. Your choice of fabrics from any of our ties currently being shown can be provided to the following specifications:

Select from the following lengths (in cms):
"¢ 140 and 144cm in 7 or 8cm widths.
"¢ 148, 152 and 156cm in 7, 8 or 9cm widths.
"¢ 160 and 164cm in 8, 9 or 10cm widths.

In the spirit of transparency, please note there is a 1 cm tolerance on either side of the designated measurement for lengths quoted simply because that is as close as hand-craftsmanship can come when working with fine silks.

On how to establish your correct length, it's best to work from a personal tie that is nearest to the length you have in mind. A simple guide would be to measure the tie from the tip of the front blade to the tip of the tail. Then tie the tie using your knot of choice, have someone measure how much longer both the front and tail need to be in order to reach to just above the trouser waistband. Add these measures to the length of the tie and deduct 2cms to allow for fabric stretch; as a rule of thumb, printed fabrics are inclined to stretch more than woven fabrics.

Interlining: light, regular, or heavy weight, as a guide, for standard production, our 7cm ties are lined with the lightest weight and all other shapes are lined with regular weight lining. The choice is yours.

For our bespoke service we request a minimum of three ties of identical specifications in the same or different fabrics. The cost for custom work is 125 pounds per tie. The turnaround time is 2 - 4 weeks. Contact: [email protected].

thanks, good info here...
so basically there are 7 lengths to choose from, and your choose the width that relates to the length..

make me realize how impressive the ASW Capelli orders are - you choose any length, any width to your preference..
the only problem is i do not know what my ideal length and width is so need to get professionally measured up at Drakes or similar to avoid ordering the wrong size

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
thanks, good info here... so basically there are 7 lengths to choose from, and your choose the width that relates to the length.. make me realize how impressive the ASW Capelli orders are - you choose any length, any width to your preference.. the only problem is i do not know what my ideal length and width is so need to get professionally measured up at Drakes or similar to avoid ordering the wrong size
Lovelux, Your ideal length is not that hard to find and you can easily do it yourself. You will find many theories on tie width, but in the end it is a personal choice. The Drakes instructions are good but you will still need to ask your tie maker what works best all things considered as stretch is not always as much of an issue and only a very small minority of gentlemen will wear their ties with both ends equal, which Drakes seems to suggest at times. We would suggest roughly having the small end 2 inches shorter and not worrying about stretching unless you are using a lose weave such as a grenadine or are very rough on your ties. Also with a true bespoke tie your knot will influence the shape and usually the length of the tie. So you will be selecting as a minimum the length, width and knot. Interlinings should be picked by the tie maker to make your preferences - such as light, normal or heavy etc.. There are considerations for a bespoke tie such as shape and construction but the above will get you started. "Peckham and Rye near Carnaby street will do you bespoke, no minimum order for about half the price of Drakes" I do not know Peckham & Rye's ties but if you would feel more comfortable with measurements in person they sound like a good option. Keep in mind that based on the tie maker and fabric chosen you may make changes in the future.

KayJay85

Reaction score
Just went by the Drake's store today

drool.gif
drool.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

If I want starting an MBA in 2 months I would've done some serious damange in there. Somebody with a real camera needs to get in there and snap away. Most ties were £95 or £110

Interestingly the store stocks a lot of shirts, much more than I expected. While they look nice I didn't bother trying them due to the price (~£250)

Staff seemed friendly

KJ

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to stop in but the store looks wonderful from the outside. Great displays and well finished. Just off of Savile Row - right down from Richard James.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Was in there yesterday, and picked up a couple of ties and a pair of braces

The store is beautifully finished - but I was slightly underwhelmed by the selection of ties. Virtually all ties are 7cm wide, and with the exception of shantung / casual ties I prefer my ties 8cm. If you're after shantung, knitted, unlined ties then go to Drakes; otherwise go to Emma Willis - which has a better selection of wider, woven and printed classics

The shirt selection included some lovely looking linens - and there were also some nice looking RTW jackets (at £990). The selection of knitwear was very good, and there were some interesting cufflinks also

All in all, a very nice addition to the are

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Was in there yesterday, and picked up a couple of ties and a pair of braces

The store is beautifully finished - but I was slightly underwhelmed by the selection of ties. Virtually all ties are 7cm wide, and with the exception of shantung / casual ties I prefer my ties 8cm. If you're after shantung, knitted, unlined ties then go to Drakes; otherwise go to Emma Willis - which has a better selection of wider, woven and printed classics

The shirt selection included some lovely looking linens - and there were also some nice looking RTW jackets (at £990). The selection of knitwear was very good, and there were some interesting cufflinks also

All in all, a very nice addition to the area

KayJay85

Reaction score
Went to the Marinella store briefly. It finally opened on the 1st as someone mentioned before.

Shop was nice but didn't compare to Drake's. Maybe I just didnt like the patterns or the display but I found the selection much more appealing at Drake's. All ties were priced at £140 (though I may have misheard £114) which put them significantly above Drake's.

Space was relatively small, moreso with 3 staff members crammed in. Mainly devoted to ties though there were a few raincoats and accessories (umbrellas etc).

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LennonMcCartney
I am guessing there is no place to buy E. Marinella ties online, and even if there was, it would be very expensive?
FIH, usually ~$175

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads