1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

E. Marinella new website

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kcc, Jun 7, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I like their ten commandments: Charming how the Italian accent breaks through, even in writing.
    In the main, I agree with the commandments, but I prefer a tie that is 8-8.5cm wide. I think that it gives a bit of a youthful retro look to a serious outfit.

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Whether Drakes makes all Marinella RTW ties or not my opinion is unchanged, at $155 a tie, you are better off with others, not the least among them Drakes. In comparing both, I find no evidence that Marinella uses superior construction.

3. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Whether Drakes makes all Marinella RTW ties or not my opinion is unchanged, at $155 a tie, you are better off with others, not the least among them Drakes. In comparing both, I find no evidence that Marinella uses superior construction.

Yes, but they're not $155 in Italy. Of course, a lot of good clothing is like that.

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

Great the new website has just as much frustratingly futile flash as the last one with practically the same dearth of photos. Is there some flash craze raging across europe?

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Argh!
    There was a thread where someone bought a Marinella which had a "Made in England" and the telltale "MD" initials in tiny font printed on a tag. That was made by Drake's.

It was a thread at AAAC that is likely lost in the archives. I believe that I was the one who linked the ebay auction with the Drake's made Marinella. That said, I don't know that one could, based on that one item, assume that all Marinella RTW are made by Drake's.

By the way, there seems to be a tone of shock that Marinella could even be compared to Drake's. Drake's makes a pretty decent tie, you know.

I'll look on my desktop and see if I saved the pic from that auction. I don't think I did, though.

6. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

I'm not good on all the technical stuff, but if you're in NYC, head down to C21 and you'll see a dozen of these patterns in the Holliday & Brown racks - for $40 [​IMG]

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I'm not good on all the technical stuff, but if you're in NYC, head down to C21 and you'll see a dozen of these patterns in the Holliday & Brown racks - for $40 [​IMG]
    Anyone wishing to buy early birthday presents for the RJman can start there.

8. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior Member

A couple of those Marinella watches are really nice looking! I've been looking for a new timepiece, and the less sporty ones fairly exactly represent what I had in mind.

Does anyone know who makes these? I'm not sure if the idea of having a Marinella watch is stupid, but if I can work out the manufacturer I can have a look at their collection. Might be more economical too. Otherwise, the E. Marinella branding is small and subtle enough that it would scarcely bother me.

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

According to the Marinella vanity book, the watches were launched as knockaround watches for Marinella's clientele for situations when they didn't want to wear their "good" watches.

They pop up on ebay sometimes.

10. Mute

Mute Distinguished Member

There's no question that Marinella makes beautiful ties, but for the price here in the U.S., I'll stick with Chuck's ties. I find his patterns more interesting and unique.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

So are these like Pierre Balmain watches?

"Couture"?

12. kcc

kcc Senior Member

There's no question that Marinella makes beautiful ties, but for the price here in the U.S., I'll stick with Chuck's ties. I find his patterns more interesting and unique.

There is huge $ mark-up in US. On the other hand, c. 110 EU overseas.

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

There is huge $ mark-up in US. On the other hand, c. 110 EU overseas.

110EU/$155 is not that huge of a mark-up [​IMG]

Now ebay on the other hand..................

14. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Roger: Drake does not, to my knowledge, weave or print silk. The silk is all sourced from various English silk makers. Ditto Marinella. Some companies like Hermes do make their own silks, but this is the exception rather than the rule in the tie world. Now, comissioning silk is another matter. That works much like suitings. Most of the renowned merchants work with spinners and weavers, to the extent of supplying a design and specifiying weight, ply, and weave, but they do not themselves make any cloth.
    Manton, You are correct Drake does not make silk or weave fabric. With the exception of Hermes, a very few others, and ourselves tiemakers purchase all their silks from mills. Typically interlinings are purchased from mills in Italy if they are pure wool. England has recently faded from the wool interlining business. The US has been gone from the pure wool interlining business for a long time. The woven jacquard silks that Drakes purchases from Vanners are typically designed at the mill. Someone from the sales department will go to Drakes' offices in London and then the silk designs are approved. Vanners is part of a group of silk mills that previously was independent, and then a listed company, and now owned by management and a small group of investors. Naturally, Marinella has the final say on silks that are used in their ties. Other silks such as the classic prints (which Vanners does not make, they only make woven silks) typically go directly to Naples for approval. Roger, There are a number of variables that go into high end tie making. Perhaps the most important is the level of time and hand craftmanship. I am certain that Drakes could make custom made / bespoke ties that are every bit the equal of the ones made in Naples by Marinella if they wanted to. In Italy it is common knowledge within the business that Marinella ties do come at different quality levels and price points. Edmorel, The Marinella family are suberb at marketing. (And I admire them very much). Part of their marketing mix of course is their wonderful image and reputation. Which as you say may or may not be worth their retail price. However, maybe the best aspect of their business is that they use many, many designs, that are made in limited editions. The last two points are perhaps equal to, or greater factors contributing to their prices than their brand image is commonly thought to be. Again whether you are interested in paying for limited editions is a matter of personal choice.

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Again whether you are interested in paying for limited editions is a matter of personal choice.
    Very true. There is always the allure, but the number of people I know personally outside of the fora who have even heard of Marinella (or Drake's for that matter) much less actually own one of their ties would be exactly...zero. I'm never worried about running into someone wearing the same tie as me.

David, I would have to think that Drake's would have some input on designs and exclusivity of fabric. Surely there is some back and forth rather than simply veto or approval of finished designs.