• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E. Marinella new website

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I like their ten commandments: Charming how the Italian accent breaks through, even in writing.
In the main, I agree with the commandments, but I prefer a tie that is 8-8.5cm wide. I think that it gives a bit of a youthful retro look to a serious outfit.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Whether Drakes makes all Marinella RTW ties or not my opinion is unchanged, at $155 a tie, you are better off with others, not the least among them Drakes. In comparing both, I find no evidence that Marinella uses superior construction.

Yes, but they're not $155 in Italy. Of course, a lot of good clothing is like that.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Argh!
There was a thread where someone bought a Marinella which had a "Made in England" and the telltale "MD" initials in tiny font printed on a tag. That was made by Drake's.

It was a thread at AAAC that is likely lost in the archives. I believe that I was the one who linked the ebay auction with the Drake's made Marinella. That said, I don't know that one could, based on that one item, assume that all Marinella RTW are made by Drake's.

By the way, there seems to be a tone of shock that Marinella could even be compared to Drake's. Drake's makes a pretty decent tie, you know.

I'll look on my desktop and see if I saved the pic from that auction. I don't think I did, though.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not good on all the technical stuff, but if you're in NYC, head down to C21 and you'll see a dozen of these patterns in the Holliday & Brown racks - for $40
laugh.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I'm not good on all the technical stuff, but if you're in NYC, head down to C21 and you'll see a dozen of these patterns in the Holliday & Brown racks - for $40
laugh.gif

Anyone wishing to buy early birthday presents for the RJman can start there.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of those Marinella watches are really nice looking! I've been looking for a new timepiece, and the less sporty ones fairly exactly represent what I had in mind.

Does anyone know who makes these? I'm not sure if the idea of having a Marinella watch is stupid, but if I can work out the manufacturer I can have a look at their collection. Might be more economical too. Otherwise, the E. Marinella branding is small and subtle enough that it would scarcely bother me.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
According to the Marinella vanity book, the watches were launched as knockaround watches for Marinella's clientele for situations when they didn't want to wear their "good" watches.

They pop up on ebay sometimes.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no question that Marinella makes beautiful ties, but for the price here in the U.S., I'll stick with Chuck's ties. I find his patterns more interesting and unique.

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
There's no question that Marinella makes beautiful ties, but for the price here in the U.S., I'll stick with Chuck's ties. I find his patterns more interesting and unique.

There is huge $ mark-up in US. On the other hand, c. 110 EU overseas.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Roger: Drake does not, to my knowledge, weave or print silk. The silk is all sourced from various English silk makers. Ditto Marinella. Some companies like Hermes do make their own silks, but this is the exception rather than the rule in the tie world. Now, comissioning silk is another matter. That works much like suitings. Most of the renowned merchants work with spinners and weavers, to the extent of supplying a design and specifiying weight, ply, and weave, but they do not themselves make any cloth.
Manton, You are correct Drake does not make silk or weave fabric. With the exception of Hermes, a very few others, and ourselves tiemakers purchase all their silks from mills. Typically interlinings are purchased from mills in Italy if they are pure wool. England has recently faded from the wool interlining business. The US has been gone from the pure wool interlining business for a long time. The woven jacquard silks that Drakes purchases from Vanners are typically designed at the mill. Someone from the sales department will go to Drakes' offices in London and then the silk designs are approved. Vanners is part of a group of silk mills that previously was independent, and then a listed company, and now owned by management and a small group of investors. Naturally, Marinella has the final say on silks that are used in their ties. Other silks such as the classic prints (which Vanners does not make, they only make woven silks) typically go directly to Naples for approval. Roger, There are a number of variables that go into high end tie making. Perhaps the most important is the level of time and hand craftmanship. I am certain that Drakes could make custom made / bespoke ties that are every bit the equal of the ones made in Naples by Marinella if they wanted to. In Italy it is common knowledge within the business that Marinella ties do come at different quality levels and price points. Edmorel, The Marinella family are suberb at marketing. (And I admire them very much). Part of their marketing mix of course is their wonderful image and reputation. Which as you say may or may not be worth their retail price. However, maybe the best aspect of their business is that they use many, many designs, that are made in limited editions. The last two points are perhaps equal to, or greater factors contributing to their prices than their brand image is commonly thought to be. Again whether you are interested in paying for limited editions is a matter of personal choice.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mulberrywood
Again whether you are interested in paying for limited editions is a matter of personal choice.
Very true. There is always the allure, but the number of people I know personally outside of the fora who have even heard of Marinella (or Drake's for that matter) much less actually own one of their ties would be exactly...zero. I'm never worried about running into someone wearing the same tie as me.

David, I would have to think that Drake's would have some input on designs and exclusivity of fabric. Surely there is some back and forth rather than simply veto or approval of finished designs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics