• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of them so much myself @jrd617 but more because of the neat pattern whereas I would like a larger scale medallion.

Still, some of them, I find pleasingly retro and with a casual odd jacket fit, could be quite nice. Say one of the blues with a brown linen odd jacket:

Drake's has some nice raw silk ties this season, and so I found the bottom similar and tempting:

#6. I'm assuming Patrizio got it, but he might only mean the stripes.

Cf. this #6's texture with that of a nice recent Drake's:

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a nice simple shantung...but I think this whole raw silk thing has gotten out of hand...it seems to me like a fad that will be gone in a year or two...the raw silks just seem to be more and more ridiculous and fashion-y.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I wouldn't be surprised at over the top raw silks out there, I don't think most of the Drake's options so distasteful, but one can differ on aesthetics.

I wouldn't call the Drake's above ridiculous, though. It's basically a shantung micro-pindot.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of them so much myself @jrd617
 but more because of the neat pattern whereas I would like a larger scale medallion.

I am noticing more and more that old members are posting these kinds of ties. Geometrics, large scale medallions. With funky colors, and sometimes sheens.

Is this a symptom of people getting tired of the simple stuff? I like my boring ties

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am noticing more and more that old members are posting these kinds of ties. Geometrics, large scale medallions. With funky colors, and sometimes sheens.

Is this a symptom of people getting tired of the simple stuff? I like my boring ties

"Old" is ambiguous. I hope I don't qualify.

I quite like this challis. Too flashy? It's a bit more of a deeper red, burgundy than the photo makes out. It's indigo/purple sibling has been posted several times above.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The picture doesn't do these three justice in terms of color, texture etc., especially the middle one: 50oz madder, silk in the "Drake's" pattern, Draper's linen.

Traded up for these. Worth it (along with a swatch for a tie in F/W).

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @TweedyProf Hi,

Great ties, enjoy them in health!

Patrizio's card is found in my drawer as well, as I just returned from a trip to Costiera Amalfitiana.

Could you inform me please if this swatch is L1 or O4 from the Cashmere collection?

Thank you in advance,

Dimitris

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dear @TweedyProf Hi,

Great ties, enjoy them in health!

Patrizio's card is found in my drawer as well, as I just returned from a trip to Costiera Amalfitiana.

Could you inform me please if this swatch is L1 or O4 from the Cashmere collection?

Thank you in advance,

Dimitris

Sorry for delayed reply. It is O4

C&A

Reaction score

This linen on the left evokes the feel of a black watch, and I'll post it here as data (next to the green medallion madder). Patrizio took a picture of both in sunlight for me. I think it's blue/green against a dark blue ground, but verify with Patrizio if you are interested. Has anyone had it made up and has a pic with a fit? I think it's linen C6 which @Mr. Six noticed.
this linen is a bit more versatile imo

C&A

Reaction score

@C&A Thanks for that update. I like that second linen you posted. Is that an older one or something you saw on your last visit?
I bought it about four years ago. It's not on his site anymore. Patrizio will check whether he has any more stock when he's back in his shop tomorrow

C&A

Reaction score

I bought it about four years ago. It's not on his site anymore. Patrizio will check whether he has any more stock when he's back in his shop tomorrow

Patrizio tells me he has enough fabric for two more 3 fold ties

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks @C&A ...ah, I saw the red glen plaid drapers linen on the right of the pic, and thought it was a shot of Patrizio's studio. But I take it that the photo is a shot of part of your tie rack. Plenty of Cappelli's.

I like the linen, though I think it would go best with green and blue jackets, something more casual in fabric and cut.

C&A

Reaction score

Thanks @C&A
 ...ah, I saw the red glen plaid drapers linen on the right of the pic, and thought it was a shot of Patrizio's studio. But I take it that the photo is a shot of part of your tie rack. Plenty of Cappelli's.

I like the linen, though I think it would go best with green and blue jackets, something more casual in fabric and cut. 

imo it can very well be paired with a suit as demonstrated here

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads