E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davesmith, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

2. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

How shall I measure, Ac?

[​IMG]

Here's a recent pic with my standard collar to give you an idea. That's an 8.5cm cotton, unlined tie though the cotton is on the thicker side. I would not want a knot bigger than that.

I have a picture of the 9cm Cappelli that Shaya Green provided me, in a brown donegal. Fabric was great, knot was too big for me. I'll look for it.

Found it:

[​IMG]

This fabric looks to be available on line. ET has it in a 9cm. I love the fabric but not the knot. Less tapered than the above tie. This is a problem I have found with other thick tweed fabrics for ties. I have no doubt Cappelli could cut the tie so that the knot is more tapered, but can I communicate this with him since I have almost no Italian? Curious if others have tried and succeeded for thicker wools?

I know you're particular about ties, TP, and I commend you for it, but I have one of the ET Cappelli Donegal's and imo the knot is a good size for my collar (16"). I also find that as I use the tie the cloth loses some of its elasticity at the knot, which diminishes a little each time. YYMV

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Pliny

Did you post a pic in the WAYWRN thread? Do you have a pic? Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I do come across as "particular"...funny how one gets an SF reputation without even realizing it.

Incidentally @davesmith has reduced his Cappelli's so I think some nice deals there (Exquisite Trimmings).

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Anyone have a recommendation for a brown silk neat in standard three-fold? Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

5. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Yes.. First time I wore it.

Well I guess u mean Cappelli, but I hope u don't mind my spruiking Vanda. Imo just as good in the same class of tie, and unbeatable in their speciality i.e. the light-weight Summer tie. Here's a brown neat in 6 fold, 36 oz printed Macclesfield silk.

6. TweedyProf

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

8. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

A question for those of you who have experience communicating with Mr. Cappelli by e-mail.

If I ask him if he has any brown silk neats available which aren't shown on his website, is his English sufficient to know what I'm asking?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

10. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

His English isn't the problem. But he might not know what a "neat" is. That's not an English issue but just a term of art that isn't necessarily widespread. If you describe it more thoroughly he will understand.

11. TweedyProf

Based on a short exchange this morning, I'd infer: yes, but I'd include a pic of what you want and ask if he has anything like that.

I do get a sense that his English is limited enough that "tapered knot" might not work well to communicate one's point. More complicated descriptions of a neat pattern might not go as well, either.

He's amazingly responsive and helpful. I've received 15 pics from him today, suggesting possibilities in wool herringbone. The one I want is gone, though. :(

We should set up an Italian glossary of basic terms. E.g. How do Italians refer to "Four in hand knot"?

No doubt, @unbelragazzo who is fluent in Italian and has met Cappelli I believe would have advice.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  12. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

lol, Patrizio will know what a 4ih is.

13. TweedyProf

Yes, but will he understand the English phrase as referring to that knot: the issue is language not the concept.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Actually I have no idea how to say "four in hand" knot in Italian. I mean, you could try "quattro in mano" but I dunno if that's right. Maybe @marcodalondra can help?

15. xizenta

xizenta Senior member

Yes I think so. :nodding: