E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davesmith, Feb 21, 2012.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Four if you count Patrizio for selecting it in the first place...

2. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Yesterday 20 new bespoke ties arrived from Patrizio...I will try to post pics of them this weekend when I have some free time...but here is one of the new ties I wore today.

Ancient Madder - 5 fold unlined.

This madder is of very high quality and soooo silky smooth...it is a little heavier so it is very well suited for an unlined 5 fold...tie knots and dimples beautifully.

typically I wear only black, blue, burgundy, forest, and brown ties...but this orange madder really was calling my name...and i'm glad I picked it up because I think it is my favorite of the recent order.

colors are more accurate in the first pic...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

Nice. I've been looking for an orange tie on his website but never found one.

4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Yes...there aren't many...and he does not put everything on his website that he has in stock...this is one that I picked out at his shop that is not available on the website.

you should email him and send him the pic...there should be more of this in stock if you want it....you can also ask about other oranges...he may have some others.

5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

So I ended up taking the photos tonight...below are pics of my 20 new bespoke E & G Cappelli ties.

Since some people think that this forum is very commercial and that everyone that makes a post like this is on the take. I am disclaiming that I have gained nothing from making this post, I paid full price for all of these ties, and that Patrizio has no idea that I have even made this post. I am making this post to share my interest in ties made by Patrizio Cappelli, to demonstrate his skill in his craft, to educate readers on construction options for different materials of ties, and also as a recommendation for Patrizio. I will gain nothing from making this post.

Patrizio's customer service is top-notch. He responds quickly and once a tie is ordered it is delivered very quickly usually within 2-3 weeks. If you are in Naples, I would strongly recommend meeting him in his atelier because he has great suggestions for ties and it is very helpful to see all of the materials that he stocks in person. There are also many options in stock that are not available on his website.

I have about 35 ties made by Patrizio in many materials and different constructions. Each one was made excellently, to my specifications, and with excellent quality materials.

Click on the pics to zoom

I tried to take the best possible pics I could with my limited ability and I think they turned out very well. Colors are as accurate as I could get them...though some may not be 100% accurate.

Madder - 5 fold - unlined

The madder ties are silky smooth and very light...not so delicate as the twill silk...but thick enough when folded that I think 7-fold would be way too much and definitely would not opt for lining...except maybe for 3-fold (though I cannot say as I don't have any Madder 3 fold lined ties from Patrizio). Patrizio very strongly recommended to me to go for the tie unlined and I would agree this is the right decision. Wore the orange one today and it knots and dimples beautifully. I believe that of all the ties I have ordered from Patrizio that the Madder's may be my favorite. I should add that Patrizio has a pretty large selection of Madder's that are not available on his website...so if you are looking for something you should perhaps reach out to him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wool / Cashmere / Donegal Tweed - 3 fold - unlined

It is kind of hard to distinguish amongst all of the wool/cashmere/tweed ties that are available on Patrizio's website because of the image quality...so it was a great opportunity to see them in person. I saw every single option he stocks...so if you have questions on individual ones, i'd be more than happy to try and answer any questions. Below are the ones I selected. I highly recommend these materials in a 3-fold unlined construction. The material is naturally pretty heavy and thick and is very well suited to a 3-fold unlined construction. I have owned ties in this material from other makers in 5/6/7 folds and always thought it was too much...these knot just right...not to big or hefty or heavy-handed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Twill Silk - 5 fold - lined

I own twill silk ties from Patrizio in multiple constructions...but I am really liking the feel of the 5-fold lined construction. The 7-fold unlined ties of mine are very delicate yet produce beautiful knots with wonderful drape. The lined 5-fold has all of this with a little extra reinforcement to compensate for the very very delicate feel of the unlined 7-fold. I also have some lined 3-folds that I like very much...but I prefer the feel and weight of the lined 5-fold. Patrizio believes a lined 7-fold is just too much for this twill silk...in fact...he thinks that most ties 7-folds are too much. I haven't tried a lined 7-fold from Patrizio nor an unlined 5-fold...I may have to experiment with these two in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wool Challis - 3 fold - lined

Patrizio has a beautiful selection of Wool Challis ties...it seemed there were quite a few in stock that were not posted on his website as well. I opted for these in a lined 3-fold construction because I am familiar with this construction for this material and I like the weight, feel, and knot very much. I am very tempted to try an unlined 3 or 5 fold in the future however, I think that it could produce a beautiful tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am pretty well covered now on ties for the Fall/Winter...

We will see what the Spring/Summer brings...I am looking closely at some linen and shantung materials from Patrizio.

6. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

:foo:?

I have a lined 6 fold from Patrizio and I find it quite hefty. It seems I started having a preference for the unlined 7 folds. Anyway, really like your choices here. Enjoy wearing them. :slayer:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  7. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

Nice stuff - but that's easy to say since I own many of them myself...

8. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I'll echo everything you said (and compliment you on your spectacular taste) but especially this. I went on hoping to upgrade my navy wool -- a critical Fall/Winter go-to in my rotation. I ended up choosing something more seafoam than navy. I really wish I'd been able to see them in person, since the subtlety of texture and melange is really hard to see.

If/when I build up enough disposable cash to buy a couple more, the challis and that brown donnegal (!!) will definitely be among them.

:spam: Alert: Incidentally, if anyone wants to trade me for, or buy, the seafoam melange tie I got (3 fold, unlined), I'd be open to that, since it turns out to be nearly identical to something I already have.

10. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I would highly recommend in a situation of uncertainty to send Patrizio an email with the reference number or link of the material in question.

I have done this on several occasions and he has confirmed its true color / weave etc.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I did. I thought I was pretty clear, but something must have been lost in translation. I'm not upset; he's very helpful and it's not really his fault.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  12. C&A

C&A Senior member

Special runs are still on hold, because Adamley is having difficulty finding some stuff in their archives. In the meantime, Patrizio just got some new winter ties and some new wool challis scarfs in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Challis pron
    [​IMG]

14. C&A

C&A Senior member

Patrizio asked me to clarify that the 7-folds he sells are true 7-folds and not 12-folds or whatever. This is how he says the seven folds should be counted [I assume @PCK1 doesn't mind the picture of his tie being used (again)].

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator