1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davesmith, Feb 21, 2012.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Distinguished Member

Came home to finally be able to open my package with the special run Cappelli ties that were organized...2 of the david evans re-run and the grenadine re-re-run

The left tie is a lightly lined 5-fold
    the middle grenadine is an unlined 5-fold
    the right tie is an unlined 8-fold

I had ordered a 7-fold in the blue right tie...but it showed up with 8-folds...very interesting...not sure how or why this happened...but I am more than ok with it haha...already tried it on and the knot is awesome...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tdude

tdude Senior Member

beautiful ties[​IMG]

3. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior Member

Depending on the definition, that tie can actually be a 12 fold. :/

4. PCK1

How so?

5. PCK1

It would be really nice if Patrizio could get some shantung materials for spring/summer ties.

6. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior Member

I hope you don't mind if I use your photo as an example. From what I read and was told, you count the creases to determine the number of folds a tie has.

[​IMG]

With Cappelli, there are 12 creases and thus considered a 12-fold. It's much like folding a piece of paper in half. It creates two halves but there is only one fold. I'm no expert on things like these that's why I brought it up a few posts ago to get some insight from other people who know these things better.

If this is how Patrizio interprets a 7-fold tie, it's no big deal to me as I'm very satisfied with all the ties I got from him.

7. PCK1

Very useful demonstration...I just looked at all of my other Cappelli 7-folds...and I never noticed this...but they are all of the same construction...

So yes, this is how he interprets it. I think because there are 7 actual folds within the tie...

I am also a very pleased customer. He is in my opinion, the best tie maker in the world. Better than Marinella, Charvet, Kiton, etc.

All of my Cappelli 7-folds are unlined...but I am tempted in the future to order a lined 7-fold...in a thin twill silk...to see how it turns out....though I think Patrizio might refuse to make it...hahaha...he seems very opposed to linings.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

Yes, that's a 12-fold tie. Will from ASW many years ago ordered a 7-fold, and also got a 12-fold instead. I thought it was funny back then, as a 12-fold tie sounded like a beast. Is it actually manageable?

9. PCK1

It knots and dimples very well...the twill silk is very thin and so it is not bulky...quite the opposite...it is quite a delicate yet manageable tie...and the knot size is entirely determined by how tight you choose to cinch the knot. If you pull the knot gently it will create a larger knot...whereas if you pull it tight it creates a smaller knot.

I ordered a bunch of twill silk ties from Patrizio a couple months ago in this 7-fold (12-fold) construction...I will try to post a pic of the knot a little later...I will wear one to dinner tonight.

I guess this means my Marinella's 9-folds...can in fact be referred to as 15-folds...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

10. PCK1

@dieworkwear

i'd say it knots very beautifully...manageable, yet delicate. with Patrizio's unlined 7-fold ties, i would definitely recommend after wearing them to hang them and let them rest at least a couple of days before wearing again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

12. PCK1

Really nice cleav...love the colors in that one.

13. Cleav

Seen someone else with one recently, thought it was you, no?

14. PCK1

Nope, but whoever it was has good taste!

15. Cleav

Well, that's at least three of us!