• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I had looked but wasn't sure.

ovlov

Reaction score
Can someone tell me, when making an order in the shop under number of folds it says "7 folds unlined recommended" . Does that mean he recommends unlined for the 7 fold ties? Or if you Rick that box you are ordering 7 fold unlined, which is what he recommends? Ie does the 40eu surcharge include getting unlined or do you need to fork
Out another 20eu?

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone tell me, when making an order in the shop under number of folds it says "7 folds unlined recommended" . Does that mean he recommends unlined for the 7 fold ties? Or if you Rick that box you are ordering 7 fold unlined, which is what he recommends? Ie does the 40eu surcharge include getting unlined or do you need to fork
Out another 20eu?

He recommends the unlined option for 7 fold ties.

So the unlined 7-fold tie costs €140 in the end (€80 for the tie +40 for the 7 fold + 20 for it being unlined).

ovlov

Reaction score

He recommends the unlined option for 7 fold ties.

So the unlined 7-fold tie costs €140 in the end (€80 for the tie +40 for the 7 fold + 20 for it being unlined).

Price goes up quickly doesn't it ;(
Plus I need to upsize so €160.. That's almost passaggio prices.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually go for the 3-fold lined ones since I prefer them over the unlined 7 folds...

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm yet to pull the trigger but looks like the 3-folds make a perfectly lovely knot, going by the pics here and elsewhere.

ovlov

Reaction score
Hmm. Might start with an unlined 3 fold then and see how that goes.
Maybe I'm a sucker but since I got my first 7 fold I've had a hard time getting anything else.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm. Might start with an unlined 3 fold then and see how that goes.
Maybe I'm a sucker but since I got my first 7 fold I've had a hard time getting anything else.

Do you mean lined? An unlined three-fold would be barely there - a bit like a light scarf?

ovlov

Reaction score
Do you mean lined? An unlined three-fold would be barely there - a bit like a light scarf?
Well I meant the Italian version of unlined; untipped. But I did not think of that. I just asked Patrizio for his recommendation on wool ties and he suggested unlined for cashmere and lined for challis. He may have been referring to 7 folds only though.
I have never seen an untipped 3 fold. I just prefer my ties that way.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the default tip style for his ties? Self-tipped?

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the default tip style for his ties? Self-tipped?

Yes, default is self-tipped - at least for printed silks. One regimental tie I have (brown/ blue) has blue tipping.

C&A

Reaction score

Well, I would say that Patrizio is generally the cheaper option if you compare it to Passaggio. And his ties are made in the same workshop in Napels where Gianni gets his ties made. It's also the same workshop that makes bespoke ties for Rubinacci.

To give you an example, look at this tie, which is available in Patrizio's webstore:

http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=552

Granted this is not a Cappelli bespoke offering, but it is being offered for considerably less than the Passaggio example:

Gianni, the more I start looking, the more beautiful things I find which have been created with your brilliancy and eyes for beautiful and ancient things!

Can you please tell me if some of these ancient fabrics are still available? How old are they? Are they italian or english made? Incredible beauty...

Thank you very much for your kind post. I am happy to know that you like my old vintage silks, really. Maybe the yellow is still available. But I need to check because I'm not sure. Both are old hand prints of Italian many years ago. I do not remember the exact date but I'm going to see and I'll tell you.

If it is still available the yellow one you hear?

While the blue one has been over for a long time.

From emailing with Patrizio I understood this silk to be an English (!) screenprint that he bought about 3 to 5 years ago. It was made by Adamley. He told me it is actually quite easy to distinguish between English and Italian silks. They are woven differently. Now this actually makes me wonder where Gianni found his one....... and whether it is really an ancient Italian hand printed silk……

ovlov

Reaction score
Well, I would say that Patrizio is generally the cheaper option if you compare it to Passaggio. And his ties are made in the same workshop in Napels where Gianni gets his ties made. It's also the same workshop that makes bespoke ties for Rubinacci.

To give you an example, look at this tie, which is available in Patrizio's webstore:

http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=552

Granted this is not a Cappelli bespoke offering, but it is being offered for considerably less than the Passaggio example:
From emailing with Patrizio I understood this silk to be an English (!) screenprint that he bought about 3 to 5 years ago. It was made by Adamley. He told me it is actually quite easy to distinguish between English and Italian silks. They are woven differently. Now this actually makes me wonder where Gianni found his one....... and whether it is really an ancient Italian hand printed silk……

Wow! Scandal!

I didn't know they used the same workshop. In fact I naively thought Patrizio did it all in house. I wonder how he manages to charge such a low rate for the outlet ties.
So that means PG and EGC grenadines would be identical?

I haven't tried Cappelli yet (that faux vintage grenadine order is my first), but if the quality of construction is truly identical and he continues to work with us on these special commissions I think I will have a new favorite maker.

ovlov

Reaction score
By the way can anyone comment of how regularly Cappelli's stock is updated?
His pocket squares seem incredibly cheap compared to the ties but there isn't much of a selection at the moment. is this normal?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads