• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E. & G. Cappelli- A walk through of my tie shopping experience in Napoli.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Today I went looking for E.G. Cappelli, world famous tie maker from Napoli. I am posting this so that anyone planning a shopping trip in Napoli will be able to find the store and also to give a little insight into my experience.

Assuming that you are starting in Chiaia area:

Go to Piazza del Martiri

This is Piazza del Martiri, facing the waterfront.

Turn around and head up hill away from the waterfront.

At the top of the hill the street turns left, then forks. Stay left and head down this little pedestrian street.

After two blocks look on your right for this gate:

If it's locked you can ring the buzzer. He is number 17.

Head into the gated neighborhood and walk straight up towards the tree.

Take a right at the tree and on your right is the entrance.

Enter the shop and there are a few display cases and some ties set out. The main display room is down one floor.

Here are a few pictures of the ties he offers. They are very simple for the most part. Mostly printed silk with a few woven options.

I didn't take pics of all the ties, sorry! Here is the link to their website:

http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/index.php

Patrizio was great to talk to. He told me that he was a pharmacist and then 18 years ago he sold his pharmacy and got into the tie business and now he's selling ties all over. He was packing up a box to ship to Houston TX while I was there! He is a true gentleman and speaks very good English.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^^Dude... First of all it's Piazza DEI MARTIRI (the martyrs) not "del martini"!!!!! :foo::foo:

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score

I wish I had picked up that 7 fold I showed earlier. I'm not sure how to use this tie. I might go back and exchange it on Monday.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
^^^Dude... First of all it's Piazza DEI MARTIRI (the martyrs) not "del martini"!!!!!
foo.gif
foo.gif

Sorry- typo. I'll fix it.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish I had picked up that 7 fold I showed earlier.  I'm not sure how to use this tie.  I might go back and exchange it on Monday. 

A similar tie in deep chocolate will go well with blue.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Thanks Sod. The color seemed workable- but I'm having a problem with pairing it. It's more casual than my shirts so it feels off when I try to put it together. I think my wardrobe is not broad enough to find a place for this- still need more basics.
Do you think the texture is too casual?

AmericanGent

Reaction score
My favourite tie maker by far... Thank you for sharing. Would love to visit some day. Dealing with Patrizio online is always a pleasure

He was great. I'm working on blotting out my face on a pic we took- I'll post it soon!

Glad to share- I'm trying to get downtown 1-2x per month and take pics. I also got some pics of the Borrelli store. they've got some great ties too! If you make it out here I hope this will help you find his shop! It's not easy to spot!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The texture is great. The color is too light for general use. More for summer pastels.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
The texture is great. The color is too light for general use. More for summer pastels.

Maybe I'll keep it and see what happens. My wife told me to keep it and go buy another. She said "A man can never have too many nice ties".

So in love with that woman.

Dib

Reaction score

Maybe I'll keep it and see what happens.  My wife told me to keep it and go buy another.  She said "A man can never have too many nice ties". 

So true!

I think you should keep it. I have something very similar from Drakes, it looks great with a blue suit and white shirt: not the most daring combination, but a nice clean, crisp look. Try that combo and see what you think.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
So true!

I think you should keep it. I have something very similar from Drakes, it looks great with a blue suit and white shirt: not the most daring combination, but a nice clean, crisp look. Try that combo and see what you think.

Thanks for that Dib. I just had a new light blue shirt bespoke from a local guy, I'll try it and see how it pulls together. I like the use of texture- like a Drakes shantung, but this one is a pickle. Of the 1000+ ties, I picked out the one that will take the most effort to pair. Oh well- still happy to have it!

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hunted all around for Cappelli for a long time and couldn't seem to find it. I found my way from the back, near the OLD Rubinacci store before they moved to the castle like place.

Poorsod is right that the texture is nice but the colour isn't that versatile. I'd swap it for smth else.

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I thought it would match my AM shirt, and it does. But when I put it on it was really dead. He had a blue version of it too. I'll play some more tomorrow and see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics