• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyson Vacuum -- Hardwood Floors

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, reading another thread I got to thinking about a hardwood floor vaccum.

Dysons are well regarded and well loved.

Here are my considerations:
  • 90% hardwood and 10% rugs
    I want to be able to vacuum easily under beds, couches
    Need to vacuum around furniture
    This will be used in smaller rooms -- the smaller the vacuum the better.

Are any of the Dyson's particularly good for HW floors?
Any feedback on the canister Dyson models?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
So, reading another thread I got to thinking about a hardwood floor vaccum.

Dysons are well regarded and well loved.

Here are my considerations:
  • 90% hardwood and 10% rugs
    I want to be able to vacuum easily under beds, couches
    Need to vacuum around furniture
    This will be used in smaller rooms -- the smaller the vacuum the better.

Are any of the Dyson's particularly good for HW floors?
Any feedback on the canister Dyson models?

Similar scenario here: mainly hardwood floors, scattered rugs, dog hair, and stairs. I'm thinking canister but I'm not sure. Opinions appreciated, greatly.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and as mentioned in the other thread, get a robot vaccum cleaner, the roomba for example ..

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have same scenario, have a dyson and a roomba. roomba is the king.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to canister versus upright, I prefer canister. It takes a little getting used to, but the manuverability can't be beat. If you're like me, and too lazy to move around furniture, go for the canister. Goes under the bed too.

Most canister vacuums have an attachment for tile/hardwood. It looks like very short bristled broom. So it's like sweeping and vacuuming at once. You probably won't want to run an upright on hardwood with the motorized adgitator on because it may scratch.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
roomba is the king.

How do a roomba and cats co-exist?
I can see my tom chasing and eventually destroying the roomba. The female will just go hide.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dyson (DC21, i think) and it works wonders on my hardwood floors...i just use the hardwood attachment.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I can see my tom chasing and eventually destroying the roomba. The female will just go hide.

no idea. no cats. if it attacks the roomba, kick it. or put duct tape on its feet. or get rid of cats and get a real pet. or put spikes on the top of roomba. lock cat in the washing machine?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My house is 95% 100-year-old hardwood floors. I have <clears throat> I mean my maid has the Animal, and it's tremendous. A big button on the front shuts off the carpet-beater whirling brushes. This is great for cleaning the hardwood floors.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's so special about vacuuming wood floors?
confused.gif

You just run the thing up and down the room and it sucks all the dirt in. That's it. Don't think there's a need for a special vacuum, attachment or skills. What am I missing?

(I haven't lived in a carpeted place for about 10 years - so it is possible I'm missing something)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What's so special about vacuuming wood floors?
confused.gif

You just run the thing up and down the room and it sucks all the dirt in. That's it. Don't think there's a need for a special vacuum, attachment or skills. What am I missing?

(I haven't lived in a carpeted place for about 10 years - so it is possible I'm missing something)

Some vacuums' regular attachments have brushes that can scratch the hardwood, hence the need for a special hardwood attachment now and again.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleaning a wood floor with suction only is the equivalent of dusting by just blowing. Only the loose dirt/dust gets picked up.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What am I missing?
The carpet beaters (on the Dyson at least) are not gentle on the finish of the floor. If you are renting and/or like a heavy coat of polyurethane, it might not be worth getting concerned about. More important they will scatter some of the dirt. Throw down some uncooked rice and go after it with the brushes roaring and some of that rice will get kicked out in various directions. There's no need to beat the dirt out of a hardwood floor -- it does not have a nap. Added bonus of an upright that can work without beaters is noise. The Animal makes a godawful racket if you use the brushes on the hardwood floor; disengage them and it's much more pleasant. With regular use you would come to appreciate the better cleaning efficiency and the reduced noise. Getting back to the OP, the Animal has a wand that pulls out and can be used for high places, underneath things, and in corners. I find it pretty handy but do not know if it would be the best Dyson for your needs. I have more wide-open spaces. And animals. It really does a number on the animal hair & dander etc. Good product.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Own. Hardwood floors. Maple (which means they are a soft hardwood). Anyone have the D24 or the DC22 Turbinehead?

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

my cat thinks its a dog. it hackles, brings back a "ball" which was crumpled paper that was thrown to the dustbin, oh and yes the dustbin fell over and the rest of the garbage was spread on the floor, it needs a walk, sniffs dogs and even kind of howls when it hears classic music. but I can put food on the roomba and my cat only touches it after it went back to the station.

but I found some videos of cats riding the roomba. the problem is solved when it moves under the bed ..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads