• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dynamic Rowers/Ergs

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone use any of the new ones?

There are three I know of:

1. RowPerfect
i9Xr6.jpeg

2. OarTec
iEtVU.jpeg

3. Concept 2's upcoming Dynamic Indoor Rower.
icU0vO.jpeg

Curious how they compare to the standard Concept 2.

Reaction score
I have a standard Concept 2. What is the point of the Dynamic one.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 89826
I have a standard Concept 2. What is the point of the Dynamic one.

I have the standard one too. The problem for Concept 2 is that they are made so well, that there is no need to buy another one...unless they develop something new and improved.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, supposedly the dynamic ones are closer to being on the water.

And obviously there are some perceived advantages, since even Concept 2 is coming out with one.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing since the chain attaches higher its more similar to being on the water, since you can pull straight back instead of slightly angled up. Well you apply varying force up.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
The difference is that instead of the feet being fixed and you sliding up and down the rail, the feet now move when you press with your legs. This means you have to evenly apply pressure and focus on not rushing the recovery.

I've tried both the concept 2 and the oartec, personally I preferred the oartec. It felt a lot more solid. This is concept 2s first dynamic erg, so they'll probably fix any of the problems with the next model.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy McL's got it right.

I tried the Oartec at a booth at last year's Midwest Championships, and it felt pretty good. That said, putting an existing Model D on slides works just about as well. To anyone who's just erging for fitness, slides and dynamic ergs are probably just a waste of money.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Rowing peeps know rowing.

Oartecs and stuff force better form, simulate water and put less strain on your joints and stuff, especially when your form sucks.

But if your not competing or anything a ConceptII would be my choice. Even if I was competing then I would think I would have enough on water time that a stationary erg would be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads