Dying shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Sep 29, 2003.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Has anyone here ever had shoes dyed? I have a pair of natural colored shoes that I want to make a camel.

2. MPS

MPS Senior member

You can certainly dye shoes. If the desired hue change isn't too extreme, then it's possible to darken down a shoe yourself using polish and some elbow grease (I recall that New & Lingwood often state that their tan shoes can be darkened down to an oxblood colour). For the change you suggest, I'd recommend you take them along to a reputable cobbler.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dark brown polish will take them to a tan color and black polish will take them to a dark tan or mid-brown color. It takes guts (an maybe a smidge of insanity[​IMG] to do this but it is quite possible. I've done several pairs successfully. You are not going to get a nice even color this way - they will come out with an antique look. I like that look myself. You may want to pick up an old pair of shoes at a thrift store first so you can practice. And if you don't want to do it yourself a good shoe repair shop should be able to help you.