1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Dying shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Sep 29, 2003.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Has anyone here ever had shoes dyed? I have a pair of natural colored shoes that I want to make a camel.

2. MPS

MPS Senior member

You can certainly dye shoes. If the desired hue change isn't too extreme, then it's possible to darken down a shoe yourself using polish and some elbow grease (I recall that New & Lingwood often state that their tan shoes can be darkened down to an oxblood colour). For the change you suggest, I'd recommend you take them along to a reputable cobbler.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dark brown polish will take them to a tan color and black polish will take them to a dark tan or mid-brown color. It takes guts (an maybe a smidge of insanity[​IMG] to do this but it is quite possible. I've done several pairs successfully. You are not going to get a nice even color this way - they will come out with an antique look. I like that look myself. You may want to pick up an old pair of shoes at a thrift store first so you can practice. And if you don't want to do it yourself a good shoe repair shop should be able to help you.