• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyeing shoes

FCS

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever re-dyeing their shoes to a much darker colour? What are the best leather dye products available out there?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever re-dyeing their shoes to a much darker colour? What are the best leather dye products available out there?
Try looking here...(its an antiquing process but you may be able to applty the concept to what you want) http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....2;st=22 Other's may have better information. JJF

FCS

Reaction score
FIH, I was the one who started asking A. Harris about his antiquing technique. I'm hoping to do a lasting, permanent colouring job to a pale brown shoes and thinking to experiment with re-dyeing.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FIH, I was the one who started asking A. Harris about his antiquing technique. I'm hoping to do a lasting, permanent colouring job to a pale brown shoes and thinking to experiment with re-dyeing.
Ooops...
blush.gif
I didnt see that part of the thread as J only liked that page. Mi Scusi. Enjoy your thanksgiving. JJF

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever re-dyeing their shoes to a much darker colour

You will need De-Glazer, Feibings Dye, a couple of daubers and some newspaper. Take out the laces, stuff shoes with newspaper tightly. With a rag, deglaze per instructions on can. Wearing rubber gloves, start applying dye with dauber at toe (I start above the welt), working quickly across the shoe from left to right. Let dry overnight, rub out the first coat and re-apply. After a few hours, start applying polish - 2 or 3 coats.
If you are looking for an antiqued effect, you will need to rub off the dye almost immediatly, and work with rags instead of daubers. This takes some practice to get right. If you have some old shoes to work on first, that would be best. If not, pick something up cheap at a thrift store before dying your shoes.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oil based or spirit based dye?

I wonder what would happen if I stripped a pair of black shoes and dyed them dark brown? Could be cool, I'll have to try that...

stache

Reaction score
You can only dye darker. Going lighter requires paint.

FCS

Reaction score
Oil based or spirit based dye?
Uhm, care to enlighten me on the strengths and weaknesses of each?

And thanks Rider for the quick tutorial.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rider's method sounds right to me. A few years ago, I used common shoe store shoe-dye to change the color of a pair of loafers from a cordovan color to black.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can only dye darker. Going lighter requires paint.
Apparently you can bleach (strip) out the color, even black, with acetone (ending up with some dirty grey). Then you can apply either burgundy or navy and you will end up with something like this:
Cherry3.jpg
No, I've never tried it. But the result in that picture is so attractive that I might go out on the weekend to find a cheap pair in a thrift shop to practice on.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, great result. Where does one get this dye?

Ed13

Reaction score
Also, where can you get the De-Glazer? I am not happy with the colour on a pair of burgandy wingtips. If I could get more of a dark brown shade with a hint of burgandy I would be happy. Any info appreciated.

Ed13

Reaction score
Thanks. I will go tomorrow and order some.

armscye

Reaction score
Deglazer is generally acetone, which you can find in quart containers at any hardware store.

I have acetone-stripped several pairs of black shoes (in fact I customarily strip any grain correction off of a new pair of shoes), and have NEVER found that black color comes off or turns gray. So although I don't think stripping a pair of black shoes will hurt them, I don't think you'll be able to recolor them either. With black, you're stuck with black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics