• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dyeing a suede shirt jacket

Lysol

Reaction score
While the internet and this forum in particular provide much information on dyeing suede shoes, I've yet to find anything helpful in dyeing other suede garments.

I picked up a wonderful PRL suede shirt jacket at a considerable discount. Fit is perfect, style was exactly what I was looking for, and it is of the upper-end, Italian made PRL quality. The downside? It is a terrible pale yellow color and has some shelf wear stains. Nothing gnarly but it looks like it was stored a little too close to a pair of jeans. I'm looking to change the color to a brown or navy so it would get more frequent wear. Doable?

Where could I take this to have it professionally done? Approximate cost? DIY? Where would I find a good suede dye online? Tutorial? The jacket has a poly blend lining. Short of having it removed prior to dyeing and then reattached, what sort of issues should I be aware of for that?

Please keep in mind, I'm not looking to invest a great deal of money into this project. I'm willing to write off the $50 I paid for the jacket if it doesn't work out. So, while it's always appreciated, I'm not looking for the usual artisan SF advice, more so the Better Homes & Gardens / Oprah Winfrey quick tip.

gius

Reaction score
Could you provide some links to dyeing suede shoes on style-forum?
I'd love to see. Wouldn't it work the same way? Since it is the same material.

I read on some blogs and here and also from experience, suede matts down when it gets wet. And also the colour disappears (my blue suede shoes turned black). I am thinking, if I dye suede, since I am using liquid, won't it lose its softness/nap?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40