• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D'ya like TÄGs?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was just at the mall trying to find the watch (Orange monster or the black version) from the earlier thread about indestructible watches. Apparently, there is not a watch in existence according to some dumb jewelry store personnel that has a bezel raised above the crystal. This one lady told me a sapphire crystal is indestructible. "Look at my Rolex, I've had this 13 years". Me: "Well, yeah, but it's not exactly a diving watch..." and you work at a jewelry store, not in all kinds of watch-destroying conditions. She outright contradicted me that I had broken a sapphire crystal. "Well, it sounds like you need to go to a higher quality watch then." Higher quality than you sell, maybe, yes.

Anyway, I asked if one of them knew where in the mall I could look at some Tag Heuers (I said "Tahg Hoyer" as that is how it is spelled.) She made a point of correcting me, "Oh, a TAG". (for the Europeans reading, imagine she held her nose and then said "tag" as nasally as possible). Am I being wannabe-Eurotrash? Does the company Tag Heuer really mispronounce its own name, and I am wrong?

Bleh. I left the mall with nothing, but I did manage to stump every watch seller in the whole place. "What did you say, a 'bevvel?'"

TKDKid

Reaction score
I remember a random conversation with one of my secondary school teachers who told me that the "TAG" bit wasn't meant to be pronounced, that it was just supposed to be "T-A-G" (possibly because they were the initials of Mr Heuer). Â I didn't bother checking if this was true - I just pronounced it "tag" like everyone else that I knew did. Just had a quick look at the history of TAG Heuer on their website though, and it turns out that TAG stands for "Techniques d'Avant-Garde". Â Who'd have thunk it? Â
confused.gif

truthhurts

Reaction score
It's an abbreviation as far as I know. If it had umlauts like in the title it would be 'tayghe'

rallymonster

Reaction score
i used to be unsure myself until i saw one of their commercials during a formula one race. it's actually pronounced just the way it's spelled--'tag' like the children's game.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pronounced tag, like "I left the tag on my shirt." This is the way the salespeople in the Tag Heuer store pronounce it. I don't think it's possible for them to be wrong on that one.

scot

Reaction score
You know what? Its a watch. I can call it a tag, tayh, tahg or spretzengriddle. It doesn't really care and I like the way it looks
smile.gif
. The mall people only care about making that 20 dollar bonus from selling you one of their "cheap" watches so it isn't worth trying to get any additional information. Now if you were to ask them about a rolex they would actually care about pronunciation. BTW I am horrible with watches and the display on my tag isn't scratched at all.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have gone into various mall jewelry stores about three times now and decided solo to pick up one of those Heuer re-issues (Carrera, Monacco, etc.). While they're not exactly haute horlogerie, I think Heuer did a nice job, and you can't beat the style bang for the buck. Each time, the salesperson has been so repulsively ignorant and pushy, that I have fled the store Along similar lines, the Saks Fifth Avenue store in Detroit now has a Pennhaligons section. Every time (and I mean EVERY time) I want to browse it in peace, I am virtually tackled by some overly made-up cow that insists on telling me about how "all the kings and princes in England wear the stuff", three inches from my face. Wow, I really sound bitter . . . must be the holidays.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads