• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duties from PLAL in Canada

atroopan

Reaction score
So do any Canadians have experience ordering from PLAL into Canada? I was looking at some Loakes as a foray into British shoes with a possibility of upgrading to some C&Js.

Have any CDN forum members done the PLAL thing into Toronto? Do they nail you with the duties or the shipping even.

On the same note - I ordered a pair of RM Williams from Steve to a US shipping address I use, and Steve told me they shipped April 20th, but they still haven't arrived. I am very worried on the status of these shoes and until they arrive - will not order from outside the United States to my UPS address. Hence the reason I wanna know if I will be nailed on ordering international to a CDN address.

troop

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had things held in customs for weeks if they are suspicious about the contents or the retail pricing. If the vendor tries to skimp on the marked value, customs may open the package and inspect the contents for an invoice or receipt. I've had a relative try and sneak the package to me with the value marked too low and customs took the real value from the shipping invoice they found inside the package. Such would be the case with the boots if he marked the value outside differently from the receipt inside. No harm to you except that you will pay the proper taxes. Since he unfortunately used UPS, you will be nailed with at least a $50 brokerage fee on top of everything else.

No idea about PLAL but supposedly they have a method to circumvent the duties. I have an idea of what it might be but they ask such things not to be made public.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got a package today from Plal and the marked value on the customs sheet was $78.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I just got a package today from Plal and the marked value on the customs sheet was $78.

Well that isn't much of a trick. Did they include a receipt or shipping invoice inside the package with the real value marked?

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Yeah, I have received two pairs of shoes from them, both this year. I never had to pay duties on them and the stated value was $100 US. I live in Waterloo, an hour away from Toronto. Not really sure what living in Toronto has to do with duties. It took 16 days for the package to arrive. If you know your size, there is no better way to buy new C&J firsts for this cheap.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Well that isn't much of a trick. Did they include a receipt or shipping invoice inside the package with the real value marked?

They do have a trick, just not sure what it is. For a $100 US package, I should be paying $30-35, but I don't pay anything.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
They do have a trick, just not sure what it is. For a $100 US package, I should be paying $30-35, but I don't pay anything.

Right, anything over $50 you should pay PST/GST but I've found often with under $100 marked value, they'll ignore it.

You do risk a few things though -- one, if they have a real receipt inside the package, it can be opened and you'll pay anyway -- and two, if the package is lost, the marked value is 1/4 of the real value for insurance purposes.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's really strange that a package marked as $100 got through customs. Unless the duty and taxes are prepaid.

Anyway, if you get nailed, two things will happen.

1) They won't open the package, and assess 14% (GST/PST) + 18% (duties on shoes) + $5 for Canada Post or $X for a UPS "brokerage fee" (which can be huge, but I have no experience with UPS, only hearsay).
2) They open the package, find a receipt for the true amount paid/assess what they believe to be the true amount, and charge the amount of duties and taxes equal to above.

The amount of duty charged is based on the country of production, not where it's shipped from. Goods in the US and Mexico are exempt from duty. You'll have to read the schedule of duties and fees, but I'm sure that for shoes made outside of the US, the duties charged are equal regardless of what country they are produced in.

It's always a crap shoot.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
PLAL does put a receipt in with the shoes. As for the shoes being lost, well, thats a risk you take. Plal will write down any value you want them too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads