• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dust problems (not an Manouche thread)

AB01

Reaction score
I seem to have a lot of dust in my place.

Not sure what to do. I can use a duster more often, but is there a way to make this place less dusty longterm? It's not an old place or anything and I didn't bring old dusty items into it.
It's mostly hardwood and I keep most rooms very clutter-free. Big dustballs will appear on the floor around wires or other objects in only a couple days after sweeping it clear. Also, I left my black tee shirts out to dry overnight and they are all dusty now. My desk has dust. My mixingboard has dust. Everything has dust, and using a duster or dust pickup cloth is a very temporary solution.

If only if was my just watch that had one dust like Manouche. He should consider himself lucky when it comes to dust.

So my question is. What to do now? Anything about airflow or filters I need to know/change? Is there a dust air catcher?

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get an air purifier. For most people I think that gets rid of all dust problems. They can be a bit pricey, though.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Some of them might give off ozone or something, but you can always just get one that sucks air through a filter.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Some of them might give off ozone or something, but you can always just get one that sucks air through a filter.

I have three like that that I bought from Sears about five years ago, just to keep the dust down. I got a bigger one for my living room (when I moved I put it into my library) and then two smaller ones for each bedroom. I turn the one off in the master at night but it makes pretty good white noise if you're in to that.

I think they help - the filters certainly are dirty every time they're due for a change.

100 posts - time to check out Current Events, Power and Money

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178

Look for a HEPA type air cleaner they do not produce Ozone, the ozone producers are those electrostatic ones like the Sharper Image gimmick. HEPA changes and cleans the air several times an hour, make sure you get one big enough for the sqaure footage of the room your using it in.

Also I would suggest changing the filters in your air handler with something like 3M filters, there a bit more expensive then the cheap fiberglass ones but they help with the dust (and allergies).

AB01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
Dust is 70% skin and/or organic material. Do you have a lot of old clothes/boards/etc?
6895.gif

Nothing old. Place is pretty bare.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is the dust coming from? If you have central heating/ventilation, could it be coming from the vents?

SVS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
How would I find that out? I do have central heating.

If you have central heat, you have central ventilation. You should see two registers in every room. It will probably not help a lot with dust in a newer place, but replace the filter in your furnace. Really, do it now.

If you find your HVAC system is the problem, put filter behind each of the vents (including the returns to keep dust from getting into the system).

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am convinced that I somehow get dust from other condos because it piles up so quickly. I get the highest MERV rated vent filters I can get, have a small HEPA filter in the bedroom, vacuum often, and open windows regularly.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ozone producing filters are a bad choice. It causes the dust to become more "sticky" so it can be caught by the filter more easily, but it will also stick to other surfaces as well. You will notice a hard to clean black film on your air filter unit the first day you turn it on. It's also suppose to be bad for your lungs.

I had a filter with ozone that I used for a time before I read about it. A few months ago I got a new computer, and cleaned my old one out to give to my dad, and much of the dust inside was black and sticky. I'm convinced it's from using ozone all those years ago.

itmfl2046

Reaction score
Dust is mostly dead skin, and becomes more prevalent during the winter months due to spending relatively more time indoors, and central heating drying out your skin. Also means you can't usually dry clothes outside. Basically the problem and the solution are the same: your body. I've lived in places with vents etc and while they contribute air in/out they actually rarely dump dust in your place of any considerable amount. Block them off and try it. You need to stop your skin from drying out, either by moisturising or by diet/exercise/cleansing-washing. Moisturising your whole body is probably impractical so either you'll need to spend less time in your place (!) or get healthy(er) skin. Loads of ways to do that (just drinking 8 glasses of water doesn't really make much difference sadly) online. Also try an exfoliating bath/shower wash/scrub thing to really get rid of the dead skin. Your clothes will also be fresher and last a little longer both in their lifetime and between washes. Finally washing / airing clothes outside is best but impossible in many situations. Note this isn't a personal attack- I've had the same problem - you may well be clean and healthy, but everyone's body replaces and sheds skin (dust) at different rates (some people shave daily, some don't need to for a few days) so some people's houses are easier to keep dust-free than others
smile.gif
Unless you've strands of fiber in dust from clothing it's really a personal situation. Carpets and soft furnishings trap dust and act as a repository for it- you hoover and whatever it's called cleaning sofas etc and a day later it's back. Released in part from carpet/sofa/towels etc. Either give them a dysoning/steaming or relace, makes a considerable difference. I'm sure filters would help too, I'm just offering what I think is a solution to the problem rather than something to deal with the symptom. Agree, disagree anyone?
smile.gif

ekaJ

Reaction score
^I will never look at dust the same way again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads