• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Durian

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
It gets better with more samplings, kinda like a really pungent cheese. But congrats--unlike other weak men, you at least swallowed it down.
I can believe that. I ate one segment's worth -- the flesh around three seeds. Didn't have to force it. Probably a little much for a first-timer. I was cutting open the next section when it became apparent that I should stop. Burping is... Gent who gave it to me is a Chinese colleague at work. I asked him about the fruit sometime last year, and he saw one this past weekend during a trip to an Asian market (not an around the corner trip), and brought it back for me. Thought that was really thoughtful. I actually went around showing it to the people I work with -- described it as 'beautiful' at one point and I think that may have reduced some people's measure of their assumptions of my sanity. ~ H

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in rural thailand at the moment, and from my years of trying durian in this country, I can honestly say I don't understand what the big deal is about this fruit... it doesn't smell hardly at all, and when it does, it's not that bad. People talk about the smell filling up a room, I've never experienced that here. I think maybe people just have a problem with the exported frozen ones, or maybe overripe ones peasants eat?

suited&booted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I'm in rural thailand at the moment, and from my years of trying durian in this country, I can honestly say I don't understand what the big deal is about this fruit... it doesn't smell hardly at all, and when it does, it's not that bad. People talk about the smell filling up a room, I've never experienced that here. I think maybe people just have a problem with the exported frozen ones, or maybe overripe ones peasants eat?

I have heaps of white boys as friends/work mates/acquaintainces here in Singapore. Liking durian is the intermediate stage they will pass before going native and off the white reservation/expat ghetto. First stage is being afflicted with bamboo fever.

Personally durian is ok and nothing much to crow about. Just another fruit for me.

BTW, there are various types of durians. The ones in Malaysia are far superior in taste to the Thais. The better the taste, the more 'aromatic' the smell. In Singapore and in most hotels, subway stations etc. durians are banned from being brought in as they do stink up the place....well at least for the fey western noses of the guests.

Svenn has obviously manned up and heading off the reservation. Where you at? Isaan?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads