Durable cashmere sweater brands?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Aug 28, 2006.

1. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

If you really love a cashmere sweater, you will hand wash it with a gentle shampoo and dry it flat.

Well I guess we're just dating at the moment, we'll see the relationship gets after a year or so...

Is the need for the wash from simple wear or for a spill or stain?

I dry-clean mine like once a year if that but I work in an office and really the sweater is just "worn" and not abused.

2. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Why are you guys washing wool and cashmere sweaters?
    Shouldn't they be dry-cleaned or is that what you mean?

NEVER dry-clean a cashmere sweater.

3. someoneNew

someoneNew Senior member

NEVER dry-clean a cashmere sweater.

The label says "dry-clean?" [​IMG]

4. thinman

thinman Senior member

The label says "dry-clean?" [​IMG]
    Solvent used in dry cleaning strip natural oils from wool, including cashmere. Handwash and air-dry between two towels (or your relationship may not last the year).

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Cashmere for Scotland seems the best, though I like the nice cashmere from Malo, Loro Piana, etc also. Cashmere sweaters from Brioni or Kiton are heavy, multiple ply cashmere but given their cost are not for everyday use. I have boxes of vintage made in the USA cashmere sweaters that I walk in the dog in cool weather and they just don't seem to ever show wear.

6. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior member

I was in Neiman's yesterday and there was a lightweight white cashmere sweater from Malo, when i picked it up I thought it was going to float away that is how light and soft it was. Really the softest cashmere I have ever felt, but you pay for this quality,$795. Also there was a cashmere sportcoat from Boglioli, unlined and unconstructed, I tried it on and it was like a big sweater, didn't feel like a jacket at all, Loro Piana had the same jacket too, but there's had some lining in the sleeves I think, this is exactly what I was looking for for this winter, but alas, it was $2600 for the Boglioli and over $3000 for the Loro. Maybe they'll be there at a future sale......

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

8. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

For stuff that is indestructable I might add Peter Scott.

9. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

For a student's budget, forget cashmere. Get some Merino wool ones for the time being. When you start printing money, cashmere will still be around.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

You might take a look at Land's End cashmere on the more affordable end. Otherwise I would listen to kolecho and look at Merino and lambswool, both of which can be quite soft, and you won't need to worry about them as much.

11. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Senior member

What about "harrison" cashmere? I just bought a sweater from them from Bluefly, but since I'm in Korea and it's hot as Hell at the moment, I haven't had a chance to wear it (save from waltzing around my apartment). It's surely comfortable, but will it wear well?

Also -- when you suggest washing it with a "gentle shampoo" -- do you literally mean SHAMPOO? Like what I'd use in my hair?

12. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

What about "harrison" cashmere? I just bought a sweater from them from Bluefly, but since I'm in Korea and it's hot as Hell at the moment, I haven't had a chance to wear it (save from waltzing around my apartment). It's surely comfortable, but will it wear well? Also -- when you suggest washing it with a "gentle shampoo" -- do you literally mean SHAMPOO? Like what I'd use in my hair?
    I think the consensus (do a search though) was that Harrison stuff was pretty low quality and it would be better to get something like J. Crew on discount or RL Polo on ebay.

And I use Woolite on cashmere with steaming in between. You could probably use baby shampoo, but most hair shampoos have foaming ingredients and are actually somewhat harsh. There's also Forever New which is supposed to be ultra gentle, but I don't care enough to go find it and buy it.

13. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Josepidal - I think you should get a Lucien Pellat Finet pot leaf sweater and wear it to class.
    Exactly, get some Pellat-Finet ones with the marihuana leaf; it might disturb some of those stodgy but young types, which is the point of being a lawyer, disturbing the peace. However, Bella Freud had some nice cashmere sweaters with a rather skewed looking dog's head pattern.

15. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

Also -- when you suggest washing it with a "gentle shampoo" -- do you literally mean SHAMPOO? Like what I'd use in my hair?

I've seen "Forever New" suggested as the perfect cashmere wash. It's a powder detergent often sold for washing lingerie.