• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duplicate Shoes?

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So the summer's coming up, social life is getting back into gear again and I have a question for you all; would you or have you ever purchased two pairs of (almost) exactly the same shoe before?

I'm a 25M living & working in London (UK). The main dilemma I'm facing this summer is whether to go for a burgundy GH Bass penny loafer or for a second pair of dark brown meermin penny loafers. The summer shoes I currently own are (a) dark brown suede meermin penny loafers (50% of the time), dark brown suede meermin double-monks (20%), navy suede bucks (20%) and burgundy boat shoes (10% max). I'd say that my personal style is pretty preppy - OCBDs, half-zip sweaters, occasionally sports jackets (though I only have 2). Trousers are 2 pairs of beige chinos, 1 pair of gray chinos, 1 pair of white (which I rarely have the chance to wear, sadly) and a pair of dark denim which I wear year-round.

I think that 80% of the time I'd go for brown shoes, and I'm afraid that if I bought the burgundy shoes I wouldn't really wear them enough in my day-to-day life (maybe 20% of the time). I'm also worried about the step down from meermin to GH bass, though I haven't really tried the latter on before. On the other hand, last year there were a couple of times when I was upset about not having access to burgundy pennies, especially when I was wearing a white shirt and beige chinos, and for those few specific looks I would love having them. I'm also concerned about that single shoe colour being a bit monotonous .

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, you wear 2 pairs of dark brown, 1 navy, 1 burgundy. And you're trying to decide between another dark brown or burgundy?

I would think something in a mid to light brown would be more appropriate than a 2nd pair of burgundy. Especially for summer. There is a wealth of great shoes in lighter colors that would add variety to what you already have and be particularly appropriate for summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads